New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alamoso Co.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone here familiar with the area aroung Alamosa Colorado? What is the hunting like in that area? Public ground? This would be units 82,83,85,and 861. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some open area to hunt but think most good spots are on private ranches. I hunted on one of those ranches in unit 85 I didn't have any luck. They have some wilderness areas in unit 85 but need some storms to move them. Did some work in Ft Garland and mts to the south looks pretty good. Alamoso is a high desert area alot of farming plus has some of the coldest weather in Co. When back to my old hunting ground around Kremmling, Co. Good luck!

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those units mostly have pretty good road access, so you'll find the hunting crowded on public land. Most of the competition comes from Colorado residents, but not necessarily the locals. The "flatlanders" from out on the plains to the east will drive up in their pickup campers pulling a trailer load of four-wheelers equipped with two-way radios. They "patrol" the areas near the roads pretty intensively and perform mini elk drives to snare their quarry. Mostly, they're just hunting for any kind of meat. I've seen the women cruising the roads on "lookout" to warn their men by radio of game wardens or landowners in the area. There are a lot of elk in the area, but trophies are rare except on private land or far from the road access.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 264winmag
posted Hide Post
First question,are you a lazy hunter?If so I cant help you.I see hunters riding the 4-wheeler trails every year expecting to see a bull walk out in front of them.What ever blows your skiry up I guess.I cant tell you anything about 82 and 83 but the last 20 years I've hunted 85 and a couple in 861.The biggest bull I ever laid eyes on was taken in 861 about 7 years ago,about 2-miles north of Mosca pass.Scored 440 something taken on public land.Since then I have hunted 85 only and have filled my tag every year for elk and deer except one when they started the draw for deer.I hunt up high next to the Forbes trinchera ranch on the east side of the sangre de cristos.I hike up to the top and cold camp near the top and glass all day long.They can be run over the top from the Forbes ranch or run up from below by other hunters.The key is patience and the work ethic to beat the other hunters in and use them as a tool for harvesting your elk.Up high I can walk 1000yds either direction and glass another ridge to see whats moving.Sit for a while and move back.Here you can see elk all day long as its a 5 mile drive in on a 4-wheeler then a 2 to 3 hour hike to the top.Im in my 40's now and its getting tougher,but the real fun begins when the bulls down and its a couple of miles down to the trail.I took a big 7 by 8 muley last year up there and have taken very respectable bulls also.Im meat hunting so I never pass on anything thats legal.BTW;I;ve drawn 1st season every year since it started for elk and its only me and the bighorn up there.2nd season for deer,now thats another story.Crowded.Good luck with whatever you do.

Posts: 56 | Location: parts unknown | Registered: 22 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Actually, I'm looking at some land for sale in that area, and I want the real scoop on what lives there. I'm going to try and get out there in the next week or two and check the area out for real. I will let you know what happens. Right now, I hunt east of Gunnison, in the Gunnison national forest. I don't have any complaints about that, but it would be nice to have a spot of my own, and a future place to retire.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote