Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for cow elk hunt suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted
I'm thinking about going for another cow elk and need some suggestions. No doubt I'm out of luck for this season but would like some options to consider for the future. Here's the main problem, I'm not in great physical shape. My shoulder is permanently buggered up so I have to shoot off of sticks or some other kind of rest. Also, my knees are shot so long hikes and horses are out of the question. Obviously it's going to have to be a fully guided hunt, I couldn't handle an elk carcass on my own if I wanted to (and I don't want to.) It would a big plus to have accomodations at a ranch (as opposed to staying at a motel.) Absolutly not interested in any sort of high-fence hunt.

Any ideas?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Get tired of killing cows of Vermejo?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't. The outfitter doesn't appear to want me for a client anymore.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Tri State Outfitters in Raton

CS Cattle Ranch

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at Red Canyon Ranch, they are pretty good people and you might not be out of luck for this year...

www.redcanyonranch.net

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2818 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Vernal/Jensen area has some cow elk hunts that are available through January unless sold out. Wintering elk seems like the ticket for a hunter who can no longer do the mountains.

This agent has hunts in the $1250 range that included everything. I would give him a call.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up on them.

It's kind of strange to do business with someone for for a long time (12 years w/ 11 hunts,) and think that a rapport has been established, only to be dropped as a customer.

No longer Bigasanelk

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason, just so you know, that web page has expired and is no longer owned. Do you have other contact information for them?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at jim welles post on the lobo ranch in N.M. in the outfitter hunts. jim is a straight shooter

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
Try BigRackOutfitters.com out of Craig, Colo.
His name is Eric Hamilton, good outfitters, family ranch lots of property.
The Senator
aka - Jerry Kazee
jerry.kazee@yahoo.com

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Jason, just so you know, that web page has expired and is no longer owned. Do you have other contact information for them?

That is really odd. I pulled up the website and surfed around it last night before I posted the link but today it does not come up.

Here is the business's facebook PAGE

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would reccomend Fred Eichler at FullDraw Outfitters. He is in Aguilar CO. I've hunted with him 5 times and had a blast each time. On a couple of trips he had a hunter there who was paralyzed from the waist down and got him his animals each time. He will absolutely be able and willing to get you onto elk. His area of the state also has either the highest or second highest elk density in the state. You will hunt his ranch and stay in the bunk house right there on the ranch. They will handle everything for you once the elk is down if needed.

http://www.fredeichler.com/fulldrawoutfitters/

(719) 941-4392

Tell him Darrell sent you.

Good luck.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote