New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question, record deer by state
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend asked me which states produce the most big bucks (whitetail and mulies). I found little, despite half an hour on the net. B & C apparently don't publish this except in their record book. Any sources?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've seen the breakdown before but I can't recall where I've seen it. If I remember correctly Colorado had the most B&C entries for Mule Deer. I'll have to look for it again.

Found some figures
Colorado Mule Deer entries as of 1999= 378
Idaho = 207
Utah = 169
Wyoming = 99
New mexico = 92
Arizona = 81

Rocky Mountain Elk as of 1999
Arizona = 74
Wyoming = 55
Colorado = 40
Alberta Canada = 36
Idaho = 33
New Mexico = 29

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
This was from the book Record book Bucks and Bulls of Colorado by Susan Campbell Reneau
No figures I could find for Whitetails.
Keep in mind these figures I posted are old. From the beginning of record keeping to 1999.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall seeing some data in a book by Kirt Darner many years ago. He was supposedly a wizard at shooting big mulies. He was later disgraced as a fraud and a poacher. Anybody remember him?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Yes Darner was famous for awhile, then infamous forever.
He had a habit of obtaining tags and hunting in the wrong units and even the wrong states in several instances. However the guy killed more record book Mule Deer than anyone else.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Found some figures
Colorado Mule Deer entries as of 1999= 378
Idaho = 207
Utah = 169
Wyoming = 99
New mexico = 92
Arizona = 81

Rocky Mountain Elk as of 1999
Arizona = 74
Wyoming = 55
Colorado = 40
Alberta Canada = 36
Idaho = 33
New Mexico = 29

Of course it's more complicated than that...and not just by area. If I were serious about big bulls or bucks and narrowing it down to a state, I want to know which state is producing NOW (not over the last century in the aggregate) and I want to know how many tags are out there. In other words, if some state offers 4x the tags as another, but they only have 2x the B&C animals coming out, I would certainly take that into account. Gotta factor in drawing odds and your age too. If you are over 60, you probably have more money than time and it is just worth it to buy a landowners tag and pay an outfitter in some places rather than hope to draw while you are still above ground. This relates to my theory that really hunting points should be inheritable. If I never hunt a particular unit because I die, I would like to think I didn't just waste 20 years applying and that someone might benefit.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Can't say for sure but there are no big deer in Missouri

Please hunt Kansas, Iowa or Illinois

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Whitetails - Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Yes Darner was famous for awhile, then infamous forever.
He had a habit of obtaining tags and hunting in the wrong units and even the wrong states in several instances. However the guy killed more record book Mule Deer than anyone else.

Problem is, he didn't kill all the record bucks he claimed. He bought several of them and then claimed he killed them. He has pretty much been banned from hunting everywhere in the nation for wildlife crimes. B&C and SCI purged his name from their record books because he was so corrupt.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Putting hunting and his name in the same sentence is a sacrilege!