Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Remembering the Good Old Days
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pecos45

Are you sure were not twin's ? with the same dad.?

I remmber dad doing the same to me he told me when the bird's jump aim at just ONE .LOL one my A** Pin tail's
every where .
One year dad took me on a trip to hunt duck's we drove all day about 350 mile's and stopped next to a mountain
we got out and i looked at dad who said not one word but pulled his 12 Ga over and under out from behind the seat
put his vest on and said ..Well .! ya coming ?
It must have taken 35 or 40 min/s to reach the top
dad walked over about 15 feet from theedge and sat down .
He poured himself a cup of coffee from the jug and i asked him what was supposta happen ? about 20 or 25 min/s later it sounded like a freaking 747 taking off from some where ?
dad put the cup down and told me to put shell's in my gun
he walked over close to the edge and stood he looked at me and kinda waved me forward ..Get ready to shoot marty..
Was that he had time to say. up in front of use came million's and i do mean million's of bird . talk about
a site never seen before thay were all about 40 feet in front of us and heading right over the top of us off a lake below .
I only pulled the trigger twice becouse that's all i had time for 15 bird's --11 duck's -3 Geese - one little teal
hen all from two shell's ...
After ward's dad told me i should have put two shell's in my hand's that way i could have reloaded and shot again .?
WHY? dad got 22 one goose and the rest duck's ...pintail's greenhead's etc we spent about10 min/s chasing down the wounded bird's .. the reason i remmber so well is that there were other's with us a very good friend of my father's who stayed over there one more day then we did and while coming home drove his car off a cliff and died .
---------
Those time's will never happen again people will never seen
1000 head of deer crossing the road or 2000 Elk in one herd
or a million duck's and geese fly over there head's again
Or wild Salmon so thick in the stream that you REALLY could
walk acrossed the stream with out getting your feet wet
on there back's.. gas will never be .14 cent's a gallion
at Frank's gas station again . and god only know what ever happened to my Rambler flat head Six with the friction clutch...
Maybe that's why Richard Corbin keep's tell me
Potts your living in the past... ya well so be it

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin, your account sounds familiar. As some have mentioned, in some respects game animals have increased...but the hunting situation for them has gone to hell.

Where we roamed free, people today often pay out the ass for the priviledge for a controlled hunt.

I used to shoot an anti-tank gun 5 miles from my home town and drive down main street with the monster laid across the rear seat to the front dash because it was too long to carry any other way.

Try that today and the swat team would be on you like white on rice.

Sometimes I feel like I'm from an ancient race.

Yeah, I'll live in the past with you. When do we leave?

Anyone remember when a 4x scope was king and a 6x was almost considered over-kill?

Boy was I proud when I got my first variable! (A flakey Weaver where the crosshairs wandered all over the place.)

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed a central theme of this thread has been starting to hunt with our Dads. I did as well. Only he loved to hunt birds. I didn't know it at the time but my Dad taught me more on those trips than hunting birds.

My very FIRST hunt was after ducks on the Pecos River. My brother was gone to college so I was promoted from the family bird dog to a hunter. I was allowed to use my brother's 20 ga pump.

When we came to our first flock of ducks, Dad told me to crawl up over the bank and "let um have it." I wasn't prepared for what happened next. As soon as I showed my head the river EXPLODED with ducks. I stood there stunned as these rocket birds rose dripping from the green water. I felt my Dad come up beside me. He got off one shot before they were gone and I finally came to it enough to get off a round.

In a flash it was over and we had THREE dead ducks. It had never dawned on my little mind that sometimes shotguns kill more than ONE bird.

I knew about limits so I turned and asked my dad, "What do we do if we accidentally kill more than our limit?"

He fished in one of our kills and looked at me as if I'd asked something dumb. "We get it and take it home. We don't waste it."

"But what if a game warden stops us?" I presisted.

Again I got the dumb kid look. "We tell him the truth."

"Oh," I said.

That was my Dad. It would never have occurred to him to do anything different.

The few times we ever shot our limit. We came home. The few times we ever accidentally killed more than our limit. We brought that home too. Fully prepared to tell the truth and take whatever came.

Here's to all the wisdom our fathers passed on to us in the field. I feel sorry for kids that never went to this school.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have the 4x Weaver dad gave me
Dad gave me his becouse he had gotten a new 4x Weaver
that was Sooo cool it flopped from post to cross hair.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote