Find
Notify
Tools

How about this as a bear gun?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No better or worse then any other Bear Gun. As long as it feeds and shoots should work just fine.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Tromix was going to do this. They did up to a .475 before Tony sold out of the business.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think it would make a GREAT pork-pounder, especially when you're trying to reduce pig populations significantly. [Big Grin]

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow........I REALLY want one of these!!!!!!

[ 07-14-2002, 23:22: Message edited by: the444shooter ]

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
That must have been a SOB necking up that 223 to 50 cal. [Razz]

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An interesting bit of machine work for sure. But that said, I've got one big question. What the devil are they going to use this novelty for? I can't really see a great police or military use for it, personally...at least not over existing weapons.

Further I think the article written by the fellow who took it to Raton is mostly BS. I'm especially amused by his account of "easily hitting rocks with it out to 577 yards." According to my ballistics...if this rifle were sighted in for 150 yds (which I would think about max) the bullet would drop OVER 200 inches at 577 yards. I don't know about you but when my bullet is striking over 200 inches from where I am aiming, that can get pretty problematic! [Eek!]

On the other hand if the "rocks" they were shooting at were the size of a Greyhound bus stood on its nose......then I think with a couple shots to adjust for windage they indeed could hit it!

I'll score this one an 9.2 on the 10 point novelty weapon scale. [Roll Eyes]

[ 07-13-2002, 09:03: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45:

I'd watch shooting off your mouth about Jeff Quinn. He's one of the more respected gun cranks I know, and along with a whole bunch of what I would consider legends in firearms, showed up for the Shootist Holiday.

The guys at that holiday can hit TeePees at 1400 yards with a 6 gun, given a few shots, and someone to tell em where the shots are landing.

600 yards, with a RIFLE, would be a piece of cake for the group that was there.

Lee Jurras could probably hit a playing card at 100 yards, with a 44 mag, off hand.

John Taffin, John Linebaugh, Paco Kelly, these guys CAN shoot.

Look at the members of the Shootists before you go making bad remarks about their ability.

Course you could always bet Jeff Quinn that those guys couldn't hit a boulder at 577 yards with a rifle(rofl)...

Watch your manners.

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<inGobwetrust>
posted
I got a good look at one of these at Morse Sporting Goods in Hillsborough, NH a few weeks ago and can tell you that the quality looks great. The ammo is definitely funny looking though! A couple of the guys that work there got a chance to fire it and said the recoil was similar to a 20 guage shotgun with slugs. It's definitely very cool but I'm not sure how practical. Would any of you guys hunt with it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd find a reduced load, like a 230 grain, frangible hollow point, or maybe even a lighter round, like a 200grain, get it going around 2400 fps, and have one heck of a home defense rifle.

For hunting, I would likewise feel safe with such a rifle, and 400 grain slugs, in the 1600-1800 fps range. For bears, solids. for anything else, softpoints, or hollow points.

Only thing I like better then 45 is .50.

gs

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote