Notify
Tools

Re: This baffles me to no end...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
Doc,

How 'bout pointing us to someplace that can tell us exactly how to cape and animal and what all to do to preserve a green cape.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
don't let the cat of the bag... the price I'm getting will go down...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I may put this post elsewhere on the forums because I'd like to see what everyone has to say. And it is by no means a 'slam' to anyone. I am just very very curious.

I've been fortunate enough to hunt in many states. I'm a do-it-yourself hunter for the most part. But I've observed a whole lot of hunters that kill great animals, especially deer, and they will purposely ruin the cape...some of which are real nice and big.

In Missouri, I watched a guy at the butcher's place cut off the antlers on about 13 bucks, all with big capes, just ruining them. This happens everywhere.

I realize these guys are not mounting the deer but do people not realize these things are worth money??

It may cost someone 10-15 dollars to cape a buck at the butcher but there are taxidermists that need capes and have customers that will pay GOOD money for them.

If I had been to that butcher in MO earlier, I would have paid him 10 bucks each for all of those capes. I could have gotten $100 easy for each and every one!!

Let alone, this is occuring big time out west. I've seen huge mulie capes just ruined. Taxidermists on this side of the Mississippi will pay lots of $$ for these!! So will I!!

Please save your capes guys and ladies. Make good use of them. It doesn't take much to cape them out. Take it to a taxidermist to take the skin off the skull if you don't know how.