Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm Hunting bullet input
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I'm shooting the 142 grain SMK's at 3,000 fps in my 6.5x284 for paper and long range varminting but I need a hunting bullet for antelope.

What would you recommend for a long range 130-140 grain antelope bullet?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Partition or Interlock Big Grin

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have used the 120 grain NBT on Antelope for the past several years with great success. They do damage meat, but they definitely kill them dead.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Don In Colorado
posted Hide Post
I have had success with both the 125 and 140 grain Nosler Partitions in a 264 Winchester.

Best of all he loved the Fall....

E. Hemingway

Posts: 198 | Location: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but your current load would probably work just fine. Antelope aren't hard to kill, so long as you hit them in the right place.

I also like the 130 gr. TSX in 6.5; it works well up close as well as at distance.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If that load is accurate find a bullet with a similar profile maybe a Sierra 140 Spitzer B.T.
As said before Antelope are easy to kill and don't require a "premium" bullet. Vanilla pudding stuff like the Sierra's, Speers, and standard Hornady bullets will turn out impressive results on Antelope as well as Deer.
If it were me and your current Match bullet shoots well I would probably use it, know though that some folks have reported erratic expansion from Match bullets, some say they expand too fast others say they will whistle right through, I'd probably shoot a few Antelope and figure it out for myself.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Looong range bullet in 6.5 that wont blow meat apart....I'd look at the 130 gr Scirocco.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does not look like a long range bullet but its pretty good.The bc is .377 with the Lapula 155 gr mega tip bullet.I shot two pronghorn at 350 yards with it in my 264 win mag and it flattened both pronghorn.It tore up very little meat.I was very impressed with that bullet so I shot a 275 pound whitetail buck very close up and it still worked very well.I got my best gruops with my rifle with that bullet 3/8" at 100 yards.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I know lopes aren't hard to kill I was just going to find a high BC hunting bullet and just wanted to see if I was missing anything in 6.5 caliber.

Just as a matter of principle I won't use match bullets for game even though the SMK's shot a 2.5" group at 500 meters a couple of weeks ago.

I'm taking two first time antelope hunters hunting this fall and I'll only shoot last, or if one's too far out for them to take.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You may want to try the Hornady 129gr or 140grSST. High BC & should do the job. The 140gr SGK would also work well, but has a lower BC.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I'd try the 120 gr. Nosler BT

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to give the Berger 140gr VLD a try. They have updated there website and all there VLD bullets are listed as a Hunting bullet now. Here is their site.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
Looong range bullet in 6.5 that wont blow meat apart....I'd look at the 130 gr Scirocco.

That is the exact thought that came to my mind after reading the original post. For a tough plastic tipped bullet, the Scirocco is very hard to beat. I think it is an excellent choice for antlelope.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
140 grain Hdy A-Max.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'd second the Bergers 140gr VLD. For deer and 'lope at distance you don't need bonded, X's, or any of the stout bullets really. If you expect shot's up close then that's somthing different to consider. Most antelope are taken far enough away that the "soft" bullets work very well. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 120 BT in the 6.5-06AI and the 125 Partition in the 264WM because that is what shoots best in the individual rifles. Either would work very well for your application.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold:

No one mentioned these bullet weights.. I use them a lot for blacktail, which you know are antelope sized....

I get 3350 out of a 22 inch barrel 260...

And 3450 out of a 26 inch 6.5 x 55....

a 6.5 x 284 ought to do even better...

The 100 grain partition, the 100 grain Sierra HP or the 100 grain Hornady SP...

300 yds in the 260 on blacktails has been a chip shot with a good rest...

I zero the load 3.5 inches high at 100 yds, and the recoil in the 260 is low enough I have watched the deer instantly drop thru the scope...recoil was light enough I didn't loose sight picture.....

Cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote