New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunting near Walden Colorado
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am contemplating trying that area out this year.

Has anyone hunted hear there.

Anything I should be aware of.

Also, drove past the outer edges of the so called FlatTops. Saw quite a few elk. How about that area as a hunting area for Elk?

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I hunted archery northwest of Walden through the late 70s and 80s. Mostly around the Big Creek lakes, Buffalo Creek, and Encampment River areas. Hunted a little on Independence Mountain. Although there was no one hunting the area during archery season back then there where a lot of camps all through the area. I would imagine that the pressure was pretty high during rifle season.

Hunted the Northern Zerkel Wilderness 1980 through 1982 from Seven Lakes to Davis Peak and Stump Park. One of the most beautiful places in the state but it’s no country for old men without horses.

I’ve been on the Flat Tops many times but I never hunted the area. My father in-law and his brothers hunted up there for 25 years after the second war and killed a lot of elk. I have friends and coworkers that hunt up there and seem to do all right.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
flat tops aint bad, but it gets a lot of pressure unless you REALLY work back in the deep stuff. even then, fairly high success rate from what I hear. thats why I like where I hunt, hardly ever any pressure besides my own hunting camp. i only see another person/group not from our camp maybe once every other year or so. this year kind of annoyed me, i heard that jack ass driving up with his bronco II from over a mile away, and he was on a road that i didn't think anyone had access to, I had put in a 5 mile hike to get there, he put in a 30 minute drive >Frowner

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting anywhere in that area be really aware of weather. It can change in an instant and leave you stranded by deep snow.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where exactly are you thinking of? I've hunted the North Park area several times, bow and rifle, over the last dozen years or so. There is a lot of public land, some of it very easily accessible (and therefore less than great to hunt) some of it a lot harder to get to.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote