New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer stand
 Login/Join

<OTTO>
posted
I am looking for a portable free standing deer stand to hunt in a brushy area. Any suggestions?

<338Lapua>
posted
I use tripod stands. I don't know how portable you need, they can be taken a part and moved fairly easily. The normal sizes are 10, 12, 14, and 16 feet high. I use the 10' and 14' models. Depends on how high the brish is in your are.

If you need any more info let me know.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking to carry it in or is there an ATV or tractor avaliable to carry it?

Just asking as Tripod stands are avaliable (check out Cabelas) but depending on how high you want to go can weigh a couple hundred pounds.
Check out - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat20051&navAction=jump&navCount=2&parentId=cat21424&parentType=category&rid=

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Otto,
It seems I recall seeing what was called a "corn field" stand in Cabella's or a similar outfitter that could be your solution. It's just high enough, six feet or so, that the hunter can see over corn stalks or, in your case, briars. It looked light enough to carry.

Let us know what you get and how well it works. I might have an application for such a stand.

[Smile]

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I like tripods. There are a few portable 'fold up and carry' models on the market.

StrongBuilt is brand I use. Reasonably priced and they have a portable model. Model BPST10 it is a 10' tripod with a shooting rest. Never sat in one, but I like some of their other stands.

StrongBuilt (318) 749-3303

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Here's some photos of my portable ground blind. It has two metal rings that pop out. It takes less than five minutes to set up- comes with the portable stool you see in the photo. It all fits into the backpack which is the size of the stool folded up. Mine weighs 12.5#. They also make a metal tripod base to set it on. It was $170 on sale when I bought it three years ago. I liked it because it had four windows and the opening flap on the roof for duck hunting. Being round, it sheds the wind well.

-

[ 10-23-2002, 21:03: Message edited by: CaptJack ]

<leo>
posted
Look in the sporting catalogs for the portable ground blinds. They are basically little tents with shooting windows and can acomodate bow hunters too.