Notify
Tools

Just some good ol' boys!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Gee GWB
That's awesome

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!
You gonna eat 'em too?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6024 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of Texas ranchers hate them, but I think they are neat.

Thank you for posting that photo.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Cool! Much larger than the one I killed a couple months ago, and in much easier country. Do you think you'll get a chance at one of them?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
GW, Great photo. When I clicked on the thread, I was thinking I would see a bunch of hogs. Have a good one. Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm getting old and soft. Years ago I'd of shot at least one if not all three.

I've taken a number of ewes, as I like mix them with pork for smoked links and summer sausage.

When we first got on this lease we did not see any Aoudad. In the last 5 years or so I've been seeing more and more.

Here is a decent one from the recent past at a different location about a mile from where the others were.

I have a good one on my wall that I hunted for 14 months and saw on three different occasions before I could close the deal.

My best ram I shot several years ago. I say it was my best, cause it was the one that got away/I did not recover. These are the only pix of that ram. Never saw him before these pix,

It was two months after these pix that I saw him with my own eyeballs.

Friday night, Dec. 28th I sat in a stand that is another half mile back behind the feeder where the Aoudad had shown up. It was about 30 minutes before dark when, as luck would have it I saw a troop of them coming over the top of the hill directly across from the hilltop I was perched on. I watched them mosey down a ways. The big ‘un was in the lead. He walked out on an outcrop and turned broadside. I ranged him at 306 yds. My Sako carbine is loaded with 150 gr. Accubonds at +/- 2,750 FPS and as I’m a short range meat hunter, it was zeroed at a measly ½” high at 100 yds.

Bummer, wrong rifle and wrong zero. What the heck. Seven years and no Aoudad. I decided to take the shot. I held about 6” over the top of his back, set the trigger and let fly. At that medium velocity and range it seemed like a couple seconds before I heard a solid “whop”. It looked like he hunched up and took off behind some juniper. I watched for about fifteen minutes. No movement. It was starting to get dark but I wasn’t about to wait till morning to start looking. Problem was, I had to go all the way down the hill, across a stream bed then climb a vertical incline lined with cedar, cactus and cats claw. To make matters worse, I was in shorts. Needless to say, by time I got near where I thought he might be it was almost dark. I had a flashlight, but no good reference point. By the time I got off the side of that mountain I looked like I’d been drug behind a truck. I looked for that dude off and on for two days. Aoudad meat ain’t the most tasty, but can be mixed with pork to make pretty fair jalepeno cheese salami. I didn’t mind not recovering the meat, but this guy was a stud puppy. I sure did want the head and horns. Would have made braggin’ rights for a good while.

Anywho, I'll have to wait and see whether I get "the fever" if and when I see another "stud puppy". Most likely will shoot him with a camera and a long lens. Lot less work!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
GW, Great photo. When I clicked on the thread, I was thinking I would see a bunch of hogs. Have a good one. Bob

Bob,

Hoglets are my passion. I'd rather hunt pigs than just about anything. Guess its quantity over quality. However the mature boars are a challenge as they are smart, solitary, wary and generally nocturnal.

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna rename my place Aoudad acres....... I got more Aoudad than deer!

Those are some great pic's my friend!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am headed for my second Aoudad hunt this September. The first time I was unsuccessful (In New Mexico).

I am hunting near El Paso this time. Those pic's get me excited. Thanks for posting!!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
That is awesome! I was always told on the deer leases I was on that they would come through the property but I never saw them. I'd like to shoulder mount one.

One of these days I'll get one on the ground

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, I remember reading of your encounter with the big one you didn't find. What a bummer. Any one of the three in your first picture would make a dandy substitute (at least to me).

quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
That is awesome! I was always told on the deer leases I was on that they would come through the property but I never saw them. I'd like to shoulder mount one.

Me too. I didn't think mine was quite up to a shoulder mount, though I'm having the skull prepared. Someday I'll get big guy and do a front half mount (really need to show those chaps). I'd really like an elaborate pedestal mount with a big ram and nice mature ewe done together.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Definitely show off the chaps!! I meant front 1/2 mount Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote