New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62?
 Login/Join

<builder>
posted
I don't know anything about it yet. Can you share your experiences with it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used an FN Mauser 9.3x62 in Africa this past June. My load drove the 250 gr Barnes X to 2670 fps and performed flawlessly on game from spring buck to eland. Hopefully (barring my computer ineptness), very soon I will post photos of the few recovered bullets (basically picture perfect 100% weight retention) here with stories about each. My rifle shoots everything tried to date including the 232 gr Norma Oryx, 250 gr X, 250 gr Ballistic Tip and 286 gr Partition without fuss. A lot of thump for a little recoil too...

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The case uses the basic X57 or -06 case head, is 2.44" long, but the shoulder is farther forward, and the body has less taper then the -06, so more case capacity.

The std load is a 286 gr .366" dia bullet @ 2350 fps. Think of it is a metric equivalent of the 35 whelen, though with a bit moore oomph, and launching heavier bullets.

If you're a medium bore nut like myself, you just have to have one [Big Grin]

Welcome to the forums, I grew up in the east bay, but haven't been back since we moved up here. I suppose the house prices are continuing to rise to insane levels?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a 26" barrel it will equal the great 375 H&H with a proper hand load....I load the 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2450 FPS and have used that load on most dangerous and non dangerous game to one extent or another...I also like the 286 gr. Nosler at 2550 FPS or the 250 gr. at 2700. the 225 monolithics have some appeal at near 3000 FPS but I have not used them....I use 9.3x62 brass as it has more case capacity than fireformed 06 brass....RL-15 is a good powder...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got an old mauser pre wwII. whit an otanguler barrel, it`s a bit on the ligth side bit i love it.. And it will shoot 2 inc 5 shot grups at 100 m enny day. Whit factory lodes. Whith home made lodes it out shott me eny day. It`s grayt for moose, baer, red deer, hog and so on.
I`l newer sel it!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you want a nice factory 9.3, go with a CZ550. they're dead on.

[ 09-21-2002, 19:41: Message edited by: Curtis_Lemay ]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Curtis is right on. I just used one in RSA and it put them down like a lightning bolt. The loads were moderate-2300fps-and the bullet performance exceptional.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote