Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Gemsbok in New Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Hunt Report Disclaimer: I took most of this from a post I made on another discussion board; sorry for the lack of creativity...

Hunt Location: Southern New Mexico
Species Hunted: Oryx/Gemsbok; coyotes
Other animals observed: gazillions of rabbits, rattlesnakes, horned lizard
Guide/Outfitter: DIY
Firearm: Kimber 8400 .300 WSM, 150 grain TTSX
Gear: Kahles Bino, Alaska Guide Creations chest-mounted man purse, Primos Trigger Sticks

New Mexico is home to a healthy and relatively stable population of free-ranging oryx (Kalahari gemsbok), which can be hunted nearly year-round. Although most of the press goes to the aptly-named once-in-a-lifetime trophy hunts on the White Sands Missile Range, there are other opportunities to hunt them. Since I cashed in my once-in-a-lifetime chance back in 2000, I can no longer apply for trophy hunts "on range." So, I am relegated to applying for population reduction hunts and so-called "off range" hunts that must be conducted on accessible public or private land.

2013 was my second opportunity to hunt oryx, and I made it count by shooting a decent little bull on the fourth day of a month-long season. You may remember reading of that hunt here on Accurate Loading

Fast forward to April of this year, when I learned that I had once again been drawn for off range oryx. Now, these things get hunted at least 10 months of each year, with 78 tags available during each month-long season. They know what hunting pressure is. I drew a tag for September. Hoping to maximize my chances of success on these hard-hunted critters, I started hunting immediately on September 1, forsaking my annual dove pilgrimage to do so. I'm somewhat familiar with their habits, and knew of any area within an hour of my house where I (and a few guys whose input I trust) had seen plenty of sign and even a few oryx in recent months. I headed there first, and was perched atop a large dune not longer after sunup looking for oryx. About an hour into the hunt, while watching a pair of large diamondback rattlers do some kind of mating dance, I spotted a good-sized bull on the move about 700-800 yards out. I plotted his course and tried to cut him off, but was unable to successfully close the distance in the sandy dunes. After a couple fleeting glimpses and a near shot opportunity, I lost track of him. By afternoon, monsoon storms had moved in, limiting access and further opportunities.

I made a few more hikes and glassed a lot, but saw no more animals that day. The next morning I was back atop the same dune looking for that bull again. I didn't see him, but I did see a couple coyotes out looking for breakfast. I usually wait until cooler weather to call coyotes, but this was too good to pass up. I dumped my pack, rooted around in my chest-mounted man purse for a little hand call I keep there all the time, and set up for an impromptu coyote stand. After two sets on the call, I spotted the pair coming in for a closer look. The wind was blowing nearly right at them, but I had hoped my height on the dune would keep my scent over their heads. At about 200 yards, they started acting fishy, so I assumed my hopes were dashed. When they stopped, I took a shot at the one farthest away and dumped her in her tracks (188 yards). I figured the other one would bug out, so I kept watching the more distant clearings trying to catch sight of him. I was caught a bit off guard when I saw him trotting through the mesquite towards. Apparently sending a bullet winging over his head wasn't enough to spoil his rabbit cravings. I hadn't made another sound, but he was headed right towards me. I "whoofed" a couple times trying to get him to stop, he didn't. I finally shot him on the run at 27 yards as he started up the dune towards me. After collecting my gear, I hauled him out to be with his mistress for a photo op.

I took a picture, then cinched up the pack straps and started putting some dirt between me and the truck. Though I made a big loop that covered lots of country and revealed plenty of sign, I didn't see any oryx. Despite the desolate appearance of the desert, there is life everywhere.

After a long walk, lunch, and more time behind the Kahles binocular, I just had to go for another coyote-induced adrenaline rush. Didn't take long for this youngster to come charging in.

Oryx tracks in the drying soil told me I was in the right place though.

Alas, the day ended with no further sightings.

While driving in on the third day, I bumped into a fellow hunter. We chatted for a while, and after learning we were both alone with our help a long way out, swapped phone numbers just in case. We parted and I went back into an area where I had seen a lot of good sign the night before. I covered it well with feet and glass, but saw nothing more than tracks. When lunch came, I sissied out and sat in the truck's AC to eat a sandwich and glass the desert expanse. It was only 93 degrees, but felt worse with the monsoonal humidity that I'm not all that accustomed to. Just as I was putting my sandwich together, my new hunting buddy called and told me of three oryx he'd spotted in the distance. He told me where he was and invited me on a stalk. Scrap lunch, let's go! I hauled ass over to his location and set out following his tracks. I finally caught up to him and we eased on into the area where the oryx had been spotted. At 2.74 miles from the trucks, we finally admitted that they'd gotten the better of us and were no longer in the area. We spent about two hours there searching high and low, but to no avail. We did swap some good hunting stories as we trudged back to the trucks, starting a new hunting friendship. Hoping to cover more ground for the last hour or so of light, we split up. Neither of us saw anything. Frowner

The following weekend, with just a couple days left in a busy month to hunt, I teamed up with a colleague and we headed into an area that I'm only barely familiar with. We figured we'd drive back into the far reaches of this area and get away from the busy roads so we could start glassing little pockets of cover. But as we rumbled along in the trusty Dodge, a lone oryx changed our plans. As we rounded a corner on a rough, rocky two-track, a flash of tail caught my eye. Assuming there were no horses out here, I started to get excited. We stopped and got out the glass, which confirmed my initial impression. Out amongst a group of yuccas was a single oryx, which though aware of the vehicle, seemed unusually unconcerned about it. We quietly exited the truck, me with rifle and sticks, and started easing towards the oryx and away from the trail. My buddy got a good look at the oryx and confirmed what my initial glance revealed - he had only one horn, and a broken one at that. I'm a pretty awful trophy hunter, so this made little impact on my decision to take the shot if offered. The oryx appeared large-bodied and tasty, so I saw no reason to pass it up. Once I was on foot, the oryx figured something was amiss and started to drift away. Fearing that I'd push him into a nearby low area and lose sight of him, I found a good vantage and got set up on my Trigger Sticks. I tracked him through the scope, waiting for a clear shot through the brush. He didn't give any indication of a desire to stop, so when he stepped clear of a large mesquite, I sent a 150 grain Barnes on the way, dropping him in his tracks. Better to be lucky than good, right? :grin:

Though not a trophy for the books, I was tickled to have had another successful oryx hunt, and grateful for the chance to stock up on some of the leanest, tastiest, free-range, sustainable meat available.

After pictures and field dressing, we loaded him up on my trusty game cart for a one-way trip out of the desert.

From there, it was off to the house where I got him strung up, skinned out, and quartered up on ice - definitely something I didn't get to do in Africa.

So there's my third New Mexico oryx in the bag. I hope it's not my last.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting a great hunt report! Every one of your Oryx hunts makes me wish I were hunting them too, I better get on the stick and start applying.
Good shooting and congratulations.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Great report. I have gemsbok on my ranch here in SA and really interesting to see how well they do over there.
Some of the finest meat available and I hope you enjoy it.

Posts: 787 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You shot a Unicorn!!!The Rainbow People are going to be sad. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Very nice report and nothing better than a freezer full of oryx!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt and report! Congrats!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Good deal, it bought back memories of my hunt on the Stallion Range--White Sands. Enjoy that meat. Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Those hills look awful green! Congrats.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments fellas.

quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
You shot a Unicorn!!!Big Grin

That's what my daughter told me when she saw the picture! Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Toomany Tools:
Those hills look awful green! Congrats.

It is pretty grassy. We had pretty decent rain late in the monsoon this year (see above).

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meat tastes better than horn soup any day.
sounds like a fun hunt and fairly easy to do.

Gulley's full of muddy water on the desert are things you sure don't want to drive into. I've seen some level full of water on the flats and when dry they were 15-20 feet deep. IF you'd drive off into one of them thinking it was only a foot deep you'd sure kiss your ass goodbye forever and no one would know where you ended up either.

Thanks for sharing this hunt and the pictures.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice story. I love hunting Gemsbok.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great story. I had no idea that there were feral populations of Gemsbok in the US. Looking at the New Mexico vegetation and landscape, you can see why they are able to thrive there, as it looks very similar to the semi desert areas of Namibia and South Africa.

Enjoy the meat, I also have a freezer full from a nice bull I shot a month ago.