THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Record Deer Dropped at 530yds with a 7mm Rem

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Record Deer Dropped at 530yds with a 7mm Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just read a article in Louisiana Sportsman, a Dentist dropped a 204B&C buck at 530yds with a 7mm Rem Mag. It was a 23 point buck, that weighed over 200pds, it was shot near Coushatta, in Red River Parish.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
With a Matchking?

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
They are easier to see before the leaves grow out on the trees.

Nice shot.

<allen day>
posted
Looks like the fine old 7mm Remington Magnum still works, and it would also appear as though that archaic belted case didn't get in the way of performance after all......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I thought you had to have one of those new short mags to kill a deer!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Maybe the mail delivery to Red River Parish is slow, and the buck hadn't read the latest Guns and Ammo or Shooting Times and learned that he was invincible to anything less than the newest ultra mag (especially if it is a short action or is beltless).

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the guys laser rangefinder needed batteries, or his steel tape was hard to read crawling through all that brush and around them trees.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Question to the forum! Now how much holdover was involved in order for the Dentist to hit that deer? Now saying the average hunter has his gun zeroed in at 200 to 250 yards. I am going to say he used a 140 grain bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
T/TAZZ depends on the vel if he' getting 3000fps with a 200 yard zero he would need about 42 in. If he was using a boat tail about 40 in If he had mil dots and a 200 zero the bottom of the 3rd mil would be just right. If his vel was up or down 100 fps a couple of inches one way or the other.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<P H Barker>
posted
GSF,
Even though I now live in Texas, I still call LA home, having grown up in Monroe - I still do all my hunting up in that area. If you will look at that same LA Sportsman magazine and find the Simmons Sporting Goods advertisement, you will see the results of their annual deer contest. You will see the name Murray Crowe as having placed in one of the divisions. Murray shot this deer in Kansas, I believe. They have it on film and I heard the hunt is to appear on one of the hunting shows on TV. I heard the range was over 700 yards.