Find
Notify
Tools

Scope choice dilema
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Okay, I've put together a rough-duty rifle. I have to make up my mind between two scopes that I have as to which one to mount. Need some input.

Burris 2.5x10, 50mm AO, with the reticle locking gizmo

Leupold VII, 3-9

This rifle is going on two cull shoots in the next three months. Probably get about 500 rounds put through it, (hopefully). I don't need any surprises right in the middle of things.

Those of you with real life experience please give my your opinion as to which would be more "rugged" / reliable?

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<bogio>
posted
I have a leupold 3x9 that's been on my .338 for about 6 years. It's been shot and carried alot and never shifted impact. I've never owned a Burris, however a co-worker bought one with the reticle lock. He eventually got rid of it due to point of impact shifting when he would lock it down and was afraid of it shifting on it's own later. I have no idea if this is a common concern or not. Anyone else experienced this?
Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold definitely.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both brands, and both have failed. IMHO the Leupold may be more durable. I've put hundreds through a lightweight 375 H&H with a 3x9 Leupold on it.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Burris, ok, but stay away from the Posi-Lock. You can't go wrong with the Leupold.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Between those two, flip a coin.

Though I have a couple and like them , I'll never understand how 3-9x got to be so universal on big-game rifles. It's darn near a varmint scope. 1.5-6x or 2-7x is all that is necessary IMO. I'd love to see a 2-7x40mm fully-multicoated. Oh, and less than $400 US.

Bogio,

The Posi-Lock provides a rigid stop for the springs to press the erector tube against, instead of spring tension only. Final tightening will result in POI moving back slightly toward previous POI. Simply loosening Posi-Lock and overcompensating slightly will zero sights when Posi-Lock is re-tightened. I'm sure it's all in the instructions that come with the scope.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Leupold no question. Besides a 50 mm objective is a worthless monstrosity with no redeeming benefits. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Before the Leupold faithful start chanting their mantra too loudly, let me interject another statement to the effect that these are both great American optics companies with basically equal products. Find the best deal on one or the other and go with it.

I'll also second the motion for a sub-3-9x. Try to find a deal on Burris's recently discontinued 2-8x Siganture. Or, if you're really worried about durability, a fixed 6x Burris Signature. And that 50mm objective lens...forget about it.

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Burris, ok, but stay away from the Posi-Lock. You can't go wrong with the Leupold.
Bob

I'll have to agree with Bob. I have never had a bad Leupold (although I like the Vari X III series better). I have a couple of Burris, and they are OK, though not as good as Leupolds.

I have never owned a Posi-Lock scope, but having experienced the trouble my friend had sighting one in, I will never buy one of those. Problem: when you tightened down the reticle locking mechanism, your POI changed! That made sighting in with a Posi-Lock a total gamble. You had to gauge how much the POI would move with locking and sight accordingly... Sorry, not for me.

(P.S. don't know if Burris has improved this feature?? My experience with the Posi-Lock desaster goes back about 10 years).

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know of no one who has tested a Burris against a comparable Leupold. But I know lots of people who have had Burris products fail. I know very few with any Leupold problems.
50 mm scopes flat don't last as long as their smaller, lighter cousins. If you are concerned about low light performance, then I suggest you go with a 36-40 mm scope with a heavy reticle. They work anywhere.
If your really serious about a really tough, reliable scope, the standard 4X Leupold takes the cake. They almost never come back. This in spite of their being in production a long time. I've sure beat mine up alot on rocks and in 4WD's out in the desert.
Whatever you buy, dunk it in warm water for a minute and check for leaks. Then mount it and shoot with it for 40-60 rds. Just to make sure it works as it should.
Pay attention to solid mounts. Most of the scope problems I see are mount problems. The Redfield style, with their windage screw in the rear base, doesn't bite much of it's ring. I much prefer the Dual Dovetail set up. If you opt for another scope, (which is an excellent idea) then the Tally's or the Leupold slotted base set ups are very good also. The only thing I don't like about them is they are a little high off the gun. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is a true rough duty scope then you wan one smaller than 50mm. The smaller the better for durability sake.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the one YOU like the best on the rifle, take the other for a spare. If it was me I would have both pre-zeroed in QD mounts. [Wink]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rough Duty is the clue to the scope you need, so get a 3x or 4x Leupold fixed power, you will find it more dependable and tougher...

It will be all you will ever need for culling I assure you...In fact I have never shot a head of game that the 4x would not have resulted in the same shot. I can get a perfect picture target on an elk at 1000 yards with a 4x, he's just smaller.

Todays hunters rely too much on equipment over skill.....I do the same thing with golf, and like the hunter of today, it ain't worked yet.

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I had a 338 WM tear-up a 2x7 Leupold... course Leupold fixed it for free and had it back to me inside of 7 days. For a truly hard-core wilderness rifle I doubt you could beat a fixed 2.5 or 4x Leupold.

Also, I agree with Steve Y... I've never got the 3x9 thing. I've always considered the Leupold 2x7 the "perfect" all-around scope in power, size and weight. Now that it has clicks and Multicoat4 it's only better... I have two on order right now!

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who say that you don't need a 3X9 for hunting -- that a fixed power 4X is better.

But I do like the 3X9 because turning it up to 9X allows me to see the bullet holes on the 200 yard target range without resorting to a spotting scope. Then you can back it off to 3X or 4X for hunting.

I agree with those who say that the 50mm objective lens is wrong. It's too bulky and heavy.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifle carries a leopold 3x9 and over the last 15 years its seen alot of abuse. about 10 years ago I was crossing a log over a dry river bed while tracking elk. I fell off the log and strait down about 10 ft. I had some pretty good bruises and the frount scope mount was knocked off the rifle with a nice dent in the top of the scope just behind the lens. I walked out, put the scope back on right and sited it in. I've killed alot of animals and even more targets with
that rifle and scope. The beating I've seen some leopolds take and keep on working has realy sold me on them.
Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Rod@MRC>
posted
Zeiss...Zeiss...Zeiss

Spoken in the pattern of a soothing mantra.

And in recognition of a POI that never changes, even if you think it has because you forgot that you clicked in changes when taking that loonnng shot in heavy wind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, rough duty and Burris do not go together. I've owned several Burris scopes and all of them that have had significant use have been sent back to Burris. Mind you these are handgun scopes though.

As for Leupold, well I've owned a bunch of them and 2 have failed. One was an old Vari X II made in 1988 and the other a brand new Vari X III. The Vari X II has had been mounted on rifles that have been shot thousands of times.

However, I must say Leupold has a reputation for being very reliable - so that's probably your best bet.

Personally, I'd probably get the VX II in 2x7 instead of 3x9.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss ? They do make an excellent scope. But they insist on putting them through a 1000 rds. of simulated recoil before they sell each one. That's like buying a new car with 60,000 miles on it. It's usable life has been shortened a good bit.
John Barsness related once that he hunted one year in africa with a very experienced PH. This older PH had a .375 with an old steel tube Weaver 2.5X on it. Most of the finish on both the rifle and scope were gone, etc. When John asked him what scope brands were the worst he had seen, he said Tasco was the worst. But Zeiss was second. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know why people would want to put anything larger than a 36mm on a big game rifle. MOst of my scopes (varmit included) are fixed 4s,6s, or 2-7s (aprox)

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for the 2-7 leupold, 2.5x compact or 1-4 leupold. These are three of my favourite scopes [Big Grin] I have a 3-9 leupold on my 30/06 and to be honest if I could afford to change to a 1-4 I would I think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with burris and leupold but If it is going on a .375 or .338 I would go with the Leupold because of the greater eye relief.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to add some info these two hunts will be for pigs and goats. I believe Matt is planning on his 30-06 or 308 but Im not sure. I just finished talking to his machine. Was going to iron out a couple of details. I am planning on using my prohunter in 243. The first hunt is in Texas but I had to pass on it. The second hunt is on Niihau. It will be polynesian pigs and whatever sheep and goats they have. Maybe this will help with the choices for a scope.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
To clarify, I had these two scopes and wanted to use one or the other.

I chose to go with the Leupold

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would just buy a real good 4x or 6x fixed power and leave it at that. I really like the 4x Ziess use to make but those are hard to come by.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rough duty = fixed power, probably 6X. Most of the current high dollar manufacturers put out good quality fixed power scopes. One of my favorites is the old El Paso made steel tube Weaver K6's with either the duplex or range finding reticle, but I would suspect any new fixed 6 power scope costing over a couple hundred dollars would be of plenty good quality.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote