Notify
Tools

Big or Small Game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Looks kinda big to me....

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Definitely Big

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOW THAT is SERIOUS eatin size...

party of a week on that rascal.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Big? YES!!!

Dangerous too!

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine how much venom that 'sucker' could deliver with one good bite???? Now imagine how much anti-venom it would take to counteract the venom? Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Pretty SOB ain't he?

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
I have been told that if you get hit by a big rattler it feels like a hard punch and will knock you down. I'll take there word for it.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old hold-the-fish-out-pose helps beef him up to look like a six-footer. My guess is he's five feet in front of the guy, which makes the snake ..... too damn close if it was me.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He is still B-I-G!!!!!

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite all-time goofy pose was in a hunting magazine. The guy killed a huge Kodiak bear no doubt, but he sat so far behind the bear in the photo that his head was the same size as the end of the bear's nose.

It looked like Tinkerbell sitting on the bear's shoulder. It was a hoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a five footer is one thing it is the girth of the snake that impresses me. We commonly get 4 footers here in the rock quarries in the catskills but they are nowhere that big around.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Supposedly that snake was just shy of 8 feet in length. I don't know anything about diamondbacks but I can say this one is big. The man looks like he has a standard snake hook. I don't know how long those are but some of the other "snake" people here might be able to tell us.

The report also said the snake weighed 89 pounds, I have my doubts about that. I had an 8 foot python once and it weighed around 30 pounds and was well fed.

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He may be five feet long but I doubt he weighed over ten pounds unless he was made out of lead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The report also said the snake weighed 89 pounds

I'd say about 15 pounds at the heaviest, but an 89 pound estimate makes sense from a sportfishing perspective. Works that way with salmon, a 17 pound commercially caught salmon is a 35 pounder if caught by a sporty.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice pair of boots in the making!

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen an 8 foot rattlesnake before; this one is probably 5 to 6. He'll weigh maybe 35 lbs. I used to live in Erath County, and caught more than one bigger than this.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The report also said the snake weighed 89 pounds, I have my doubts about that. I had an 8 foot python once and it weighed around 30 pounds and was well fed.

Lets see...how much weight can a 4' long, 1/2" diameter thin walled aluminum tube hold on its end, held in the horizontal position, 2' from the nearest support!?!? It has a heck of a bend to it, but it is NOT 80+ pounds.

I can buy 20-25 lbs...still a hefty snake.

Anyone ever try fried rattlesnake???

Tastes like chicken! No really...nice firm white meat.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

Looks like a nice pair of boots in the making!

DGK

Excellent choice, use the skin for boots and BBQ the meat. Rattle snake tastes very good

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got that right on the taste.

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes Batman, that's one big rattler.

I betcha that thing been feeding on javelina to get that big!

posted Hide Post
Dang!!

Posts: 21 | Location: Colorado! | Registered: 30 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Tastes like chicken! No really...nice firm white meat.

No, chicken tastes like snake. Humans were eating snake thousands of years before chickens existed. All domestic chickens are descended from the Red Junglefowl (Gallus gallus) which were domesticated in Asia around 3000 years ago.

So now you know

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd feel a whole lot better if that critter was minus his head if I were that guy!

Posts: 51 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rattler that big don't need venom. He'll just snap your leg off and eat it.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote