New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Elk hunt over
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Our hunt is over. The 3 of us did not get any elk.
We did manage a few grouse. Friends gave us some trout, ande our near neighbor shoot a moose and gave us half the liver.
Moose liver is very good.
WE had GREAT time.
Early on we had some snow, then late in the hunt it got fairly warm. WE had 2 evenings where Bulls were Bugling to us, we were cow calling.
They got very close but it got to dark for a shot. Still it was fun and exciting. We had one bear bait hit, but were so busy we did not get to set on it.
I hunted with my Blaser R 93 with the 375 H&H Tracker bbl. It was the perfect rifle for tyhis hunt. I spent all of my time in the THICK, and the short light weight rifle wis a pleasure to hunt with.
I shot some grouse with a single shot 20 ga, some with my drilling, and some with my 44 S&W Mountain Gun, and Speer shot shells.

I was hunting with one of my long time friends just back from Afgan... and my brother.

I am in Lewiston Id, my brother flies back tommorrow, and I drive back to Texas.
I celebrated my 55th birthday on this hunt, and I could only think of one better place to be... Elephant hunting in Zim.
I leaved Oct 10th for just such a hunt.

So, I have no complaints, retirement is GOOD. Big Grin

PS in a day or three I, will post my results on a binocular test I conducted in the field, while elk hunting, the results might suprise you.... they did me. Eeker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looking forward to the bino report---sorry to hear of nothing being shot, but it always fun to be out hunting---I'll be in Idaho in two weeks doing the same as you---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear about, what sounds like, a fun hunting trip. You dont have to make a kill to have a successful hunt, I think some people lose sight of that. If it was easy, it would'nt be hunting.

BTW, what zone were you in. I've hunted 18 and 23 before, Hells Canyon area.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mousegun,
quote:
You dont have to make a kill to have a successful hunt, I think some people lose sight of that. If it was easy, it would'nt be hunting.

Couldn't have said it any better. thumb

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday!

Enjoy Zim.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Way to go Tony! Wasn't your wife with you on this hunt? Wish we could have joined you. A' was talking about looking for a place to live up in that neck of the woods for retirement. Well, at least 6 month out of the year.

Stich & Joannie doing well?

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. We were hunting in area 20.

Mighty Joe.
We did not hunt with Stitch and Joanie, but we did go see them at their camp. They are doing fine. They could not hunt their regular area because of the fire, sound familar?, but they had a good camp.
Wife did not go she stayed home to get things ready for Zim, we leave the 10th of Oct.

Tell A I said HI. Take a look at Dixie Idaho.
We met several of the people there, I also spent a week there in June after my bear hunt. Real nice people real nice area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just read this thread. If I would have known that you were in Lewiston, I'd have invited you over to my house for steak and beer. I also have some close friends that retired to Dixie a few years ago. Did you get to meet either Gary Edmonson or Dick Marlatt? Dixie is a small community.

Mike Chamberlain

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.2...Shhhhh! Keep Dixie a secret. Too bad about the elk; take it out on the elephants. Are you taking the drilling to ZIM?

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Luv2safari
My wife and I are both taking our drillings.

mjc
Not sure about Dick, may have, but I did meet Gary and Roxie. They are nice people.
Roxie fillls in at the store for Dan, I know her pretty good.
Next time I go through there I will let you know.