New
Find
Notify
Tools

CWD Update
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well the results from the deer we took at the end of March are in. The deer season in the CWD eradication zone located in central Wisconsin closed March 31 this year. During the last few days we hunted, deer were plentiful. During the last week, we took a total of six deer. Three of the six were positive! None of the deer taken appeared to be sick. All of the positive deer were either two or three year olds.

Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Doug are you guys eating the venison? At this point do you know which packages of meat came from which deer? I myself would be nervous about eating it even with all the cdc info saying it is OK. If anybody in your camp gets sick let us know. Thanks

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Hunter:
So Doug are you guys eating the venison? At this point do you know which packages of meat came from which deer? I myself would be nervous about eating it even with all the cdc info saying it is OK. If anybody in your camp gets sick let us know. Thanks

D Hunter,

In this case, one of the CWD positive deer was consumed. The person that received the deer back at the end of March butchered it himself but did not want to wait for the test results to come back before partaking. It is a personal choice on his part.

The other deer that was butchered from the group that tested postive sat in a freezer separately packaged until the tests came back. In that case, the venison was disposed of. The third deer that tested positive was the only one out of the bunch that was "turned in" to the DNR after registration.

The DNR here has been pretty careful at avoiding the inference that the testing done on the harvested animals is a "food grade" test. It is not.

From my experience, there are some hunters in this area that continue to eat the meat and don't bother with worrying about the test results. Others will butcher their deer and pack separately with the tracking numbers we get when registering each animal and wait until the test clears before eating.

Doug

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote