New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight in setup?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When you are sighting in your big game guns, at the bench, what setup do you use? I'm talking about rests, bags etc. I'm looking for a gift for a friend. Thanks capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Captain, I usually use a 'Bulls Bag' filled with sand. I also have a Browning bag of the same type which came filled, I think with polypropolene, I know it ain't sand, it is a little hihger off the bench than my Uncle Bud's Bulls Bag, and a lot lighter--sometimes it's height is too much though, I've found it's always easier to adjust for a little more height than less for some reason, maybe it's just the benches at our range. For more serious work I have a nice Sinclair adjustable rest and several different rear bags. The fine adjustment of the Sinclair rifle rest is hard to beat, but honestly I seem to do just as well with the Bulls Bags in terms of accuracy/grouping.
Good Luck and Happy Holidays--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Good old sand bags are good, but I fill them with rice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also vote for the "Bull's Bag". I made my own from nylon canvas and filled them with 80 grit sand blasting sand. Sometimes I wish I had used walnut shell media as my bag weighs about 65#.
Another really good sight in device is the "Bench Master Rest". It includes a strap behind the butt stock which takes the sting out of an extended range session with a hard kicking magnum.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5818

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote