New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pump action or lever action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking at a new rifle for Eastern whitetail and I want either a pump or a lever.
My main concern is speed. Which is faster for follow-up shots?
A semi-auto would not give me the flexibility and reliability I want.
Thanks.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Having shot both quite a bit when I lived in Maine I don't think the average hunter will know the difference. You can even get the lever in some big calibers now which were not available when I hunted back there. Pick the one that feels best to you.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If someone said "you must find a difference" I'd guess the pump might stay tracked on target slightly, very slightly better while cycling the action.

If I was going to get one it'd be a Rem. 760 in 30-06 and I'd also get a 3x9 variable with the see-thru mounts. You could probably get the whole outfit for under $500.

Just an aside, but only once did I have to show how fast I could rack the action on a pump rifle. It was on applying for an agent job with the FBI decades ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not much differants for speed pump might be a bit faster. But I dought one would notice it in the feild.

Skip the see through mounts mount it so the scope it right there. See thought mounts put the scope way to high. In 41 years of hunting I never lost a chance at a animal because of scope problems.

I lost some because I couldn't pick a hole out in the brush or couldn't get on them because I couldn't see them well enough with the open sights.

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pump or lever. Both are quite fast with practice and try mounting a scout scope. They are fast on running shots and accurate for harder shots. You can get scout scope mounts for most lever guns and it should not be to hard to mount on a pump although I have not seen a pump with a scout scope before. A Remington pump in 35 Whelen would be a slick rig with a scout scope.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My guess is it would depend on the chambering. Both can be cycled at the shoulder quickly and on target. But 35 remington recoil is much less that 35 whelen. I have reminton pumps in 30-06 and 35 whelen. Levers in 30-30, 307, 308me,30-06, 35 rem, 38-55, 44 mag, 444, 45-70 and 50 alaskan. Stock design makes a difference too. my winchester 1895 with steel buttplate kicks much harder than the remington with plastic buttplate.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't feel that you could go wrong with any chambering that is available in a pump or a lever gun. That style of close range hunting handling would be a bigger concern than caliber. Buckeyeshooter brings up a good point about recoil the less recoil the faster you would be on the follow up shot.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do prefer a lever gun...not sure why. Within 100 yards I see no benefit going bigger than 30-30 or 35 Rem. I like the BLR though so one of those in a take down would be nice.

Here's my thought...If you are worried about quick follow-up. What about something on an AR platform, Rem 750, or Benelli R1?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the remmy pump has a really poor rep for accuracy

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really is that so. Hmm I have to tell my .223 that it poor and inaccurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
flickt, he said "rep". Your mileage may vary.

As to the question, I have owned both and I think the pumps are quicker. The only reason I probably say it is because I have a Win94 and BLR and there is just something about that bolt coming back at my eyes that makes me slow down just a bit. But that is a personal thing. I had a Remington Model 6 in 30-06 and I did not experience the same issue.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Actually you would be hard pressed to find a body of evidence that the 76X or 76XX series of Remington Pumps are not very accurate. Quite the opposite in my experience and what I have read. The R Pumps often shoot just as well as the better than average bolt rifle. I have a 760 30-06 that has shot lots and lots of rounds and it still will beat 1.5" with about anything. Feed it what it likes and it shoots under an inch. For years I shot red box Federal 165's and they were 7/8" all day long. It has shot hand loads for years now while my Pop used it and now I have it back. It shoots 220 Hornady RN's now and stacks them up nicely. I have personally never met one that did not shoot and back in the 70's knew several folks who shot them.
Now back to the question; if you hunt from a stand and you want a scope I would choose the pump. If you like to walk to hunt and use irons, nothing carries better than a lever. Caliber choices don't matter. Similar ranges of calibers can be had in either.
Best regards,
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I would go with a lever action. JMHP Smiler

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For walk-up deer hunting it's gotta be light and quick..a handgun, shotgun or lever gun. My lever gun is the Win 94 in 30-30. The Rem 760 is OK for that excepting most scopes would get in the way. There are obviously some shots that are too close for your typical scope. This is one reason I like those see-thru mounts on certain kinds of guns.

On the accuracy part we've all heard it said that bolt guns are more accurate than autoloaders. But, since the 760 in certain respects resembles the 740, might that really be a slight case of "guilt by association"? Anyway, I would tend to agree with Fury01's opinion on the accuracy. It's like other guns however..it depends on the particular rifle..you can get a real good one. For instance, my Win Model 94 has great accuracy..but I hear not all are like that.

Come to think of it, who but Rem makes a pump rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
I'm looking at a new rifle for Eastern whitetail and I want either a pump or a lever. My main concern is speed. Which is faster for follow-up shots?
Hey Frank, Interesting question. I'd suggest if you use a Pump Shotgun for routine Doves, Ducks, Geese, Quail, Squirrels and Rabbits, then you are familiar with that style action and it would be easy to use in a rifle. I got real interested in a Taurus 357Mag Pump until I saw the $$$price$$$. Still looks like a fine rifle, but I can get a Marlin Lever Action at much less cost. Do have a 444Mar XLR which surprises me with it's accuracy and "slickness" during cycling.

quote:
A semi-auto would not give me the flexibility and reliability I want. ...
I'd be interested in you elaborating on your thoughts about that. I've hunted with a lot of folks who use various Models of semi-auto Remingtons and Brownings sucessfully.

There have been a whole lot of Model changes to them over the years, so it is difficult to say which Model Pump or Semi-Auto is better than another. The main thing is being able to keep the "Chamber" clean. They are typically cleaned from the muzzle and as the Bore Brush enters the Chamber, it flings Residue and Trash 360deg. Then following with a Patch does no good because it will not open to Chamber diameter. They must be cleaned through the Ejection Port and Hoppe's makes a special Nylon Shaft T-shaped cleaning handle to do that job. A Spent Empty Case put into the Chamber prior to Cleaning catches most of the Residue and Trash being tossed about.

The only draw-back I can think of is not being able to get the Semi-Auto Action to cycle with weenie down-loads. And when a person is Hunting, down-loads need to be avoided anyhow.
-----

As far as sights go, you can get Williams Fire Sights to fit a Marlin Lever, because I have them on mine. Absolutely great. They are not as good as a HUGE 50mm Scope for shooting in Twilight, but they are better than regular Iron Sights. I would "guess" Williams makes them to fit the Remington Pumps and Semi-Autos.

The Pumps and Semi-Autos come in some relatively flat shooting Cartridges. I seem to remember Remington chambering them in the 35Whe as well. And of course the Levers come in a lot of Revolver cartridges as well as Heavy Thumpers. The new Hornady Pointed Ammo has even stretched their range another 100yds or so.

Lots to pick from. By the way, it is difficult to beat a short barrel 870 with 3" OOOBuck when man driving or waiting on the Deer to be driven toward you. Doesn't take long to figure out the usual escape paths and you can Kill a bunch in a brief few seconds.

Best of luck in your choice.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Semi autos can have reliability issues when you start tuning the loads.
For example, if I had a 30-06 that shot well with with lighter loads, it would probably short stroke and jam. Small fast bullets for groundhogs, medium bullets for deer, tune for accuracy.
I am a bit of an accuracy nut. I'll give up a little speed in order to wring out as much accuracy as I can.
And autos are generally quite a bit heavier, and often lots of cold metal exposed.
My AR in .458 Socom about froze me to death.

quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
I'm looking at a new rifle for Eastern whitetail and I want either a pump or a lever. My main concern is speed. Which is faster for follow-up shots?
Hey Frank, Interesting question. I'd suggest if you use a Pump Shotgun for routine Doves, Ducks, Geese, Quail, Squirrels and Rabbits, then you are familiar with that style action and it would be easy to use in a rifle. I got real interested in a Taurus 357Mag Pump until I saw the $$$price$$$. Still looks like a fine rifle, but I can get a Marlin Lever Action at much less cost. Do have a 444Mar XLR which surprises me with it's accuracy and "slickness" during cycling.

quote:
A semi-auto would not give me the flexibility and reliability I want. ...
I'd be interested in you elaborating on your thoughts about that. I've hunted with a lot of folks who use various Models of semi-auto Remingtons and Brownings sucessfully.

There have been a whole lot of Model changes to them over the years, so it is difficult to say which Model Pump or Semi-Auto is better than another. The main thing is being able to keep the "Chamber" clean. They are typically cleaned from the muzzle and as the Bore Brush enters the Chamber, it flings Residue and Trash 360deg. Then following with a Patch does no good because it will not open to Chamber diameter. They must be cleaned through the Ejection Port and Hoppe's makes a special Nylon Shaft T-shaped cleaning handle to do that job. A Spent Empty Case put into the Chamber prior to Cleaning catches most of the Residue and Trash being tossed about.

The only draw-back I can think of is not being able to get the Semi-Auto Action to cycle with weenie down-loads. And when a person is Hunting, down-loads need to be avoided anyhow.
-----

As far as sights go, you can get Williams Fire Sights to fit a Marlin Lever, because I have them on mine. Absolutely great. They are not as good as a HUGE 50mm Scope for shooting in Twilight, but they are better than regular Iron Sights. I would "guess" Williams makes them to fit the Remington Pumps and Semi-Autos.

The Pumps and Semi-Autos come in some relatively flat shooting Cartridges. I seem to remember Remington chambering them in the 35Whe as well. And of course the Levers come in a lot of Revolver cartridges as well as Heavy Thumpers. The new Hornady Pointed Ammo has even stretched their range another 100yds or so.

Lots to pick from. By the way, it is difficult to beat a short barrel 870 with 3" OOOBuck when man driving or waiting on the Deer to be driven toward you. Doesn't take long to figure out the usual escape paths and you can Kill a bunch in a brief few seconds.

Best of luck in your choice.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand. Thanks for your thoughts.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always wanted a Rem. 760/7600, .30-06, just couldn't justify one, wher I hunt. That being said, I've hunted deer with a 870 pump shotgun, and it was FAST! I now have an 1895 GG, .45-70 and a Marlin 1894 .44 mag. Both the lever and the pump gun are fast, and Accurate. It just depends on your preference. I shoot a pump shotgun, but all my rifles are lever action.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_Gq5QO-JI

the square heads have a realy expensive solution to almost all problems. I played with one of these and it would be awsome for your aplication. available in many calibers.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
never saw a pump like that before!! Eeker

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remmy 7600 in 35 Whelen with the bbl cut to 18", recrowned and front sight remounted. Let me tell ya, it's quick to get into action, accurate and carries very well. Plenty of firepower too. Perhaps the perfect "deep woods" rifle. Don't get me wrong, I like my Marlin 1894P in 44 mag too and it's always a struggle to decide which one goes with me here in east central Pa. during bear and deer season. Neither one are scoped, however. Just don't need it where I hunt.......50-75 yards for most shots.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote