New
Find
Notify
Tools

What ammo for Trophy wild Boar.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going trophy wild boar hunting in California this year. I am shooting my 30-06.
I have been practicing with federal premium 180 Gr. Nosler partitions.
I would like to see what other ammo does in my rifle. (I do not reload)
Any recomendations on factory ammo is much appreciated.
Thanks,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me that you have EXACTLY what you need.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I am getting about 1 1/2" grounps at 100 yards, and was just wondering if the rifle would perform any better with other ammo.
Thanks,
W.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
W.,
That is terrific ammo and will work great on a big boar, but you should check the exact area you're hunting. Many of the good hunting areas now only allow lead-free hunting bullets.

If you're hunting in northern California you should still be okay with the lead bullets but if you'll be in Central or Southern California a good choice would be the Federal Premium ammo with the Barnes TSX bullets.

The TSX will likely group just as well or better than the Partition.

Best of luck,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, 1 1/2" is fine for pigs.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I agree with the tsx, have hadca few guys kill pigs on the ranch them, including this weekend with great results. We have been seeing alot of hogs lately around here, so hopefully you have a good hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I will be hunting in Northern Cali, so I dont need lead free bullets.
W.SmilerSmiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then get Hornady Accubonds, 165gr. I've taken a few hogs with it in NorCal and was always pleased with results. Good luck on your hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well now I cant decide weather to bring my .300 winny or my 30-06. I would shoot the winny with 180 gr. NP as well. I just pulled her out of hte safe, (.300), and boy does she point nice dancinge.
The fun stuff we get to think about.
W.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either one of them will work great.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I believe you have exactly what you need.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Land Cruiser wrote:
quote:
Then get Hornady Accubonds, 165gr.

I think you meant Interbonds.
-----

Woodsie-The load you already have for your 30-06 will do just fine, but you don't need a 180 grain bullet to kill a boar, even the largest of them.

Given a good bullet like you've chosen, 165 or even 150 grains will do nicely.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Since you want to try something different which might be more accurate, give the Federal Vital-Shok 165 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock's a try.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Since you're hunting NorCal, stick with what you've got. Partitions perform great on game and are tough enough to handle any angle... even on big boars with thick shields. (Not that the TSX won't but the Partitions are very good and you're already familiar with them).

Whether its the .300 or the -06, take the one you shoot best. If the bullet is put into the right place the critter will never know the difference.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Kyler Hamann wrote:
quote:
...take the one you shoot best. If the bullet is put into the right place the critter will never know the difference.

Well said! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
take both rifles, shoot two hogs, report back Big Grin

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you meant Interbonds.

I stand corrected, it's Interbonds, you're absolutely right

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Now I am back on the 30-06. She looked lonely when I pulled the .300 winny out of the safe to bring to the range on saturday, so Maybe i will bring her. she points so dang nice.
W. jumping

One of Us
Picture of Moonshot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
Thanks,
I am getting about 1 1/2" grounps at 100 yards, and was just wondering if the rifle would perform any better with other ammo.
Thanks,
W.

Every rifle is differnt. So the only way to know is to try differnt ammo. The 30-06 w/ a 180gr Nosler Partition will do great against anything in the lower 48. If you want to go to something more current regarding bullet selection...try the 180gr TSX's. Either way, you will not be dissapointed.

Posts: 68 | Location: Beaverton, Oregon  | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote