Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question for you folks
 Login/Join

posted
Not sure if this is the right place to put this question, but since I see topics ranging from tuna fishing to boys locked in a gun safe, I hope this is OK

A few months ago I bought a model 700 "guide gun" from the local Cabelas here in Boise. This is the one with the skinny barrel and Ti stock. Got it all set with a Conquest and talley lightweights and went to the range for a sight-in/break-in session. The last 4 shots were almost touching, and my buddy was impressed that such a light gun shot so well. He asked to handle the gun. Then came the question..."What's with the crack in the stock"?

I looked, and there was about a 1/2 inch crack right below the ejection port where the stock was delaminating. You can see glass fibers, etc.

Took it back to Cabelas tonight. The last thing I want to do is pull off the scope and mounts, and replace the whole gun. Besides, I like the way this one shoots. I figured that they can just pull the stock off of one in the back room and put it on my rifle.

So I get there and they take me back to the gun counter. Then they send me to the library. The guy there says he doesn't do this stuff and we should have gone to the gun counter. You can guess where this is going. The guy goes in the back and comes out and says that they can replace the gun, but not a stock.

So, what is the opinion here? I am not very impressed with Cabelas at this moment, but they did offer to replace the rifle. I fail to see why they can't pull a stock off of a different one.

Many thanks
Jim

Posts: 7 | Location: idaho | Registered: 20 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They did the same thing to me with a fairly expensive steelhead rod. A guide came unwrapped the first hour I fished with it. They would not repair it, and had discontinued the model. If you really like the gun an investment in another stock might be worth it. Doesn't totally resolve the issue, however.

Posts: 14 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The stock is certainly usable, and I might be able to put some superglue in the crack, but I am afraid it will continue to split.

The guy told me to come back during normal hours and see what the store manager says.

Either way, they will have to send a defective stock back to Remington. If they make me take a new gun, then they will have to sell mine as used and take a loss.

On the other hand, if they decided to replace my stock,they could wait for the replacement from Remington and then sell the rifle they would have given me as new. It would save them money and also leave them with a satisfied customer who is singing the praises of Cabelas customer service.

Based on past experience, I am not holding my breath on this one.

Posts: 7 | Location: idaho | Registered: 20 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you talk to the man in charge at Cabelas.

Make it clear to him that you want to keep "the steel" and just want the stock replaced.

"Suggest" that they call Remington and get another stock shipped to them next day air.

Cabelas should have enough clout with Remington to get that done.

Remington should "pay the bill" as it is a warranty issue.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
What Cabela's did was fair in my opinion; they offered to replace the rifle. I don't think sporting goods stores should be required to provide gunsmith services though a very few do.

Since you like how the rifle shoots, this is what I would do. I would call Remington and mail the rifle to them for warranty service. It can be be mailed to them via the U. S. Postal service and it can be mailed directly back to you; you don't need to use an FFL holder for this service.

Another option would be to buy an after market stock and replace it yourself.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Expecting Cabela's to replace a stock is, in my opinion, a bit much. Yes, it would be nice if they would, but I would not count on it.

Do talk to a supervisor at Cabela's, politely explain the situation and see if Remington will send them one. With that large of a client, Remington should send one out immediately -- before ever seeing the defective stock.

Otherwise, I would suggest contacting Remington directly.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Remington or a Remington gunsmith that does warranty work. They will replace the stock free.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is such an easy fix for any decent stock man.....get it fixed.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that Cabela's can also arrange for warranty work through Remington and handle all the shipping and paperwork for you. As others have said here, they are a sporting goods store and not a gunsmith. They do have a great reputation for customer service and I'm betting they will handle things "mostly" the way you would like them to. They may be able to get a replacement stock from Remmy or arrange warranty work through Remmy for you. Calm and cool would be the right approach here to try and get things resolved to your liking. Anytime you get a shooter like that, it's probably worth a wait to get it repaired properly.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Jim,

See the PM I sent you. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Below is an e-mail reply I just received direct from my contact at Remington. -TONY

Tony,

Please have him contact Remington consumer services at (800) 243-9700. The stock can be replaced through a Remington authorized repair center or at the factory.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a Remington authorized repair center that isn't too far from Boise. -TONY

Reloading Center

Address: 515 W. Main

City/State/Zip: Burley ID, 83318

Phone: 208-878-5053

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabellas was more than fair with you..Remington is the culprit..

If the gun shoots that good, you sure don't want to replace it, YOu could opt to get a new stock from Remington or just glass bed the present stock and keep it....thats an easy repair, give you a better rifle. I normally glass bed every factory rifle I get since factory wood is seldom properly cured and I suspect the laminate isn't the best either.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Cabellas was more than fair with you..Remington is the culprit..

I normally glass bed every factory rifle I get since factory wood is seldom properly cured and I suspect the laminate isn't the best either.

Totally agree on both of these points!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not try a KISS approach? If Cabela's has a similar rifle, have them swop stocks and send their rifle( with your stock) back as defective. Say they caught it before they sold it or something. Best of both worlds IMO. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I believe you have three options. 1) Return the gun to Remington for a new stock. 2) Let Cabelas give you a totally new gun (and hope it's as accurate as the one you have now). 3) Buy a new stock and put it on yourself (but your out the money for a stock).

I can understand why Cabelas is hesitant to swap stocks. They're not gunsmiths and I suppose there could be some liability issue as well.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote