THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Muzzle Brake or No Muzzle Brake and Yes Best Muzzle Brake

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle Brake or No Muzzle Brake and Yes Best Muzzle Brake
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For calibers above say 300 Mag. Do you all prefer muzzle brakes for hunting? And if so which do you all consider to be the best muzzle brake?

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not own a gun with a muzzlebrake.They are so loud even a single shot can start to damage your hearing.You must always wear hearing protection which is not practical while hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<cohoyo>
posted
I have a.338 win. winchester model 70 with a boss system on it that I like real well. For $18 I purchased a non muzzel brake end for hunting because muzzel brakes are way, way to loud without ear plugs, infact even with foam ear plugs you may still have hearing loss. at the range I use the brake end and ear plugs with shooting muffs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The muxzzle brake built by George Vais is absolutely first-rate and has been discuused many time on this Board..look back thru the archives.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I do not like them and have no need for one. Had one a fairly lightweight 340 breaked when I bought it and tossed it away. No mas breaks for this kid.
I shoot quite a bit and for the rounds up to 416 Rig have seen no reason for one. Although I do happen to prefer to mag-na-port them. I hold a rifle with a light grip, and the magnaport helps to keep the scope off the old beaner! I don't think it does a whole lot about the bump, and that doesn't matter much to me.

Just my thoughts

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
No muzzle breaks for me, and I don't care what caliber we're talking about.......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like them on big bores for range use and working up loads, regulating iron sights and I have a false muzzle the takes the brakes place when I'm hunting...Sometimes I just leave it own...No, the impact does not change on my rifles with or without it.

Whatever hearing protection you wear with a brake you had better wear without the brake, end of story.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The muzzle brake I owned was a Gentry Quiet Brake. Although it wasn't quiet (none are), I can't compare it to any other brake, simply because I've only owned this one, hence can't necessarity declare it "the best".
It did do what it was supposed to do, reducing felt recoil of a 338-06AI to a level of a 243. For this, I can recommend it. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I like brakes on anything above the .300 Win mag. I have two .340 Wby's and two .358 STA's, all with brakes. I shoot them often, they kick less than my unbraked .300 Win mag. That is awesome power and bullets that are available for use with recoil that is managable. I agree with Ray, you better be using hearing protection, no matter what you shoot, braked or unbraked. It is an easy matter to cover the ears at the point of the shot. Good shooting.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you need a muzzle brake, you don't need the rifle.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don,t use a brake on any big game rifles. Mind you I don,t shoot anything with all that much recoil. I two rifles I do have brakes on are both long range varmint guns. I like the brake to reduce muzzle jump. I shoot mostly by myself and i like to be able to call my own hits and misses.
There are some with a macho attitude reguarding brakes but i think that they do have uses.I don,t find it all that pleasant doing load developement off a bench with a heavey recoiling rifle.Just consider your hearing and consider those around you if you use one.

------------------
Growler

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I bought my supergrade 338 10 years age, I put a KDF brake on it and enjoyed shooting it. As the years past and I shot it more, I took it off and its never been on it since. I was shooting at an Elk once while in a rock crevice and could not hear for an hour, not a good thing. My rifle handles better now and have learned to tame recoil.
I have a KDF in 7mm and 338 if anyone wants one

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Jagermeister>
posted
phurely: how do you like the 340wby?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jager this is not Pat but I'll chip in about the 340. I just love mine!
I'm on my 3rd barrel and I think the world of them. I have me on M700 and 70's and I do not use a brake. I don't find them needed.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Jagermiester -- I love my .340's. I have a Weatherby and a Sako. I have taken three Bull Elk a Mule Deer and a huge Alaskan Yukon Moose with the Weatherby. I shot a Nosler Partition Gold for the Moose, it performed perfectly. I am now shooting a 225 gr. North Fork and getting one hole groups at approx. 3150 fps. North Fork is now making a 240 gr. that should be interesting. You cannot go wrong with the .340, an awesome chambering for anything over here and most in Africa. Good shooting.

------------------