New
Find
Notify
Tools

SportsAfield nailed it!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And all you have to do is open the cover of the Sept/Oct mag and right there under the front cover is the ghost of hunting future. First, a Blazer rifle ad. The rifle has leather grip panels sewn in. Like it is a luxury car. It is a rifle that is just crying out to be in a heated high seat in a very controlled and expensive hunting situation. Yeah!

The facing page is an ad for Vortex Barnes ammo."The worlds First hunting load Optimized for ONE-SHOT kills out to 700 yards* and beyond." Interesting. Is there a money back guarantee?

Kinda funny, kinda sad, but oh well it will be ok. In time it will become "the way it has always been."

Oh and I am certainly not passing any type of judgment on those who hunt using the above mentioned methods

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It is the coming reality, nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. I'm glad Blaser pays the advertising $$$ to Sports Afield, but no matter how many ads they buy, I just don't see American hunters buying them in any quantity. Win 94, Model 70, Rem 700, Rugers galore, and now AR15/10 variants. That's the USA. Those Blasers just don't compute.

Can't stand the long range hunting crap. Love Barnes bullets.

Dave

Posts: 923 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sports Afield,

Actually talks about guns and hunting thought they went yuppy years ago.

The last time I looked at one.

I am surprised they still publish.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I let my subscriptions to all those major magazines run out and didn't renew any of them years ago. The only ones I get now are ones published monthly or quarterly by organizations that I have memberships in (NRA, NWTF, RMEF, BHA, and WSF).

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Sports Afield,

Actually talks about guns and hunting thought they went yuppy years ago.
The last time I looked at one.
I am surprised they still publish.

About 15 or more years ago, they did turn into a yuppie magazine. It was a cross between Men's Health and Outside magazine. Tripe. Thankfully it was bought out relatively quickly and is the current excellent magazine it is today.

Dave

Posts: 923 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
About 15 or more years ago

Could have been that long ago I looked at one.

Was not the SportsAfeild of my youth for sure.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Better have another look at sports afield magazine! That magazine did an about turn when Diana Rupp took over as managing editor! It is now a real hunter's magazine again!

…………………………………………………………...Mac old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do find the Sports Afield to be entertaining, but found it not worth the money after several years of subscriptions. SA sent me a free one as an attempt to get me to renew.

As for the opening post it was just an observation nothing more. If my long lost great uncle leaves me an Blaser semi weather resistant R8 I would appreciate it, but that is the only way I will possess one.

As far as long range shooting, a lot of lessons are learned when one shoots at game animals at long ranges.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I currently like to read Sporting Classics and The Backwoodsman I think it's called.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote