Find
Notify
Tools

Maine Whitetail
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
I've been looking at various Whitetail guides in Maine. Most of them seam to be Peole with Lodges and Hunt parttime. Does anyone have any information on a whitetail guide with a good rep for Big bucks.

Thanks
Dr B

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Maine doesn't really specialize in deer. They are mostly oriented towards bear.The lodges are basically a place to stay with maybe some private land. There's so much public land and a fair amount of deer. Really, it boils down to finding an area and doing your homework. Look to the central portion of the state rather than the "Great Northwoods". Big deer up there, but few and far between. Lots of deer in the central portion with some also huge deer.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Dr B,

You will have to work very hard to get a Big whitetail buck in Maine these days, or be very lucky. Even the Benoits have decided to move on to greener pastures(Ontario).

I have a good friend up there who is a master guide. He gets his clients big moose and bear but when it comes to Big bucks it's pretty slim pickings. I'm sure it can be done though.

Good Luck

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Dr B, Canadais where you go for the big Whitetail, and plenty to choose from. Depending upon the Provinceand a bit on the outfitter, that will decide the method of chase. Maine is a great outdoor experience with a very slight chance of killing a wall hanger.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
Try www.dennistownguideservice.com

Is't true what others have said, a whitetail hunt up here is a hunt. Moose are prety easy, you just have to be lucky enough to draw a tag. Bear come easly as well, the only hard part for some guys is not shooting a small one as they are hard to judge untill you have seen a few of them. Don't come here if you just want to kill a deer, go to Texas and take your pick of what shows up under the corn feeder. The Mid west is probably a good bet if all you want is to kill a nice deer. Iowa and Kansas is where some friends of mine have gone on bow hunts and seen 50 deer a day.

Unless you get lucky you will have to hunt hard, and you still might come home empty handed. I tell most people that hunting a big buck up here is like a Bongo hunt in West Africa with cold weather and snow instead of jungle. You have to track as there is no agriculture up here so the deer are very difficult if not impossible to pattern. You start the day out on the logging roads about 1 1/2 hours before light and drive around looking for a BIG track crossing the road. Find one, get out and follow, see him before he sees you and kill him. You have to know a little about the deer behavior and know when he is going to lay up and be looking for him bedded and know when he is just cruising along and you have to double time it to gain ground.

If this isn't your thing. You can stand hunt during muzzleloader season. This is the only time the deer are somewhat predictable. They move into deer yards in the same area every year after the rut to wait out the winter.

Good Luck I hope I have not scared you away from hunting in Maine as it is a unique place and there is no greater trophy than a buck earned up here.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I can say about Whitetail Deer in Northern Maine is that they have "Huge" bodies compared to the deer here in Maryland.Twice the size and thats no exxageration !

Posts: 51 | Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore | Registered: 12 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
I believe they have evolved to be bigger boddied due to the extreme cold and the big body needed to operate in such cold rough terain. We are at the northern edge of a whitetails range. Bucks up here weigh typicaly 150lbs to way over 200lbs dressed out!

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr B
It depends on what kind of experience your looking for. If you like the "Big Woods" Maine or the Adirondacks of NY is the place for you. If you need to see lots of deer, not the place for you. I've taken a couple of decent bucks in Maine, but it was challenging but not impossible.
To answer your question talk to Hal Blood at Cedar Ridge Outfitters, he is exceptionally knowledgable. If not, come here to the Adirondacks, very similar terrain.

Posts: 29 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote