New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Goats
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently saw a lifesize mountain goat and decided I really need one myself. I have always been fascinated with the sheep and hunting them, but have not until recently had the desire to hunt a goat. I am building sheep points currently in Wyoming, so where should I begin appying for goats? Will I have a chance at hunting goats sometime before 2032?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only taken one goat. Mine came from Colorado (unit G-13) and it took me 22 years to finally draw. If you really want a goat and don't want to spend years trying to pull a tag I'd suggest either British Columbia or Alaska. You can simply book a guided hunt and pick up a tag.

I've heard the archery tags for goats are easier to get than rifle tags in places like CO, WY and MT. So, I guess that is an option as well.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The odds in WY are so poor you will most likely never draw a tag. Some of the best odds are in ID, about 1:10 overall, followed by MT and even WA. UT and CO will take quite a while. And as mentioned above, AK and Canada have tags readily available.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ozultra,

I lived in Alaska for 22 years and hunted DIY for most of all the species there. The one animal that I would always recommend a guide for would be the mountain goat. They just live in some of the most inhospitable country in NA making the hunts difficult and often dangerous.

You can apply for a difficult to draw tag all over and if you draw a tag do your own scouting if you have time and perhaps you'll be successful. My suggestion would be for a guided boat based hunt in Alaska. You'll go once and get a descent trophy plus have a nice warm and dry camp to hunt out of. The tags are over the counter so you can go when you want and before you get too old to do it.

I have a couple of ideas on this hunt if you'd like to contact me.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad your interested in the great white goats. While saving your money for an Alaska or BC hunt, I recommend Idaho and Montana. I live in Idaho and I have not yet drawn a goat. I drew one in Nevada with 6 points in 08 and one in Montana this fall with 8 points. So that gives you an idea how much time it took me. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go for a nanny in UT the odds are actually pretty good. One of the units is even 1:4 I believe with an 80% harvest rate.

Posts: 249 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Ozultra.......... I agree with what others have said. Go to BC or Alaska and make it happen. You do not know what the future will bring.

I know a very good outfitter in British Columbia that has great goat hunts. The hunts are horseback and hiking. Third generation outfitting family. If you are interested PM me.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1842 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew a goat tag in MT after 8 yrs. of putting in for the draw. I'm resident and think it was the chance of a lifetime. I hired an outfitter in NW MT where I hunted the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness. BTW, mtn. goat hunting is not for the faint of heart. Hope you are not afraid of heights, open face ledges and the like. If not the adventure is off the chart. I would recommend all the options you have considered plus BC and AK. The hunt and the adventure are without a doubt the best to be had regarding mountain hunting, IMO. Go for it! MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MT gives out alot of tags. Crazy mountains has over 20 tags alloted. Check FWP website under hunt planner. PM me and I can give you some better info

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
MT gives out alot of tags. Crazy mountains has over 20 tags alloted. Check FWP website under hunt planner. PM me and I can give you some better info

This year there were 84 goat licenses in the Crazies (Unit 313). Last year the success rate (for all applicants) for drawing a goat license in the Crazies was 3.29%.

Montana limits nonresidents to up to 10% of the quota of tags.

I drew my last Montana goat tag in 1978, and have been applying every year for the past 34 years. This year I had the maximum number of 11 "bonus" points. Next year I will have 12.

If you really want to hunt goats, go to Canada or Alaska. Yes people draw goat tags every year in the lower 48, but banking on drawing a Montana Goat tag is about like planning your retirement on winning the Lottery.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So they are hunting goats in the Crazies again--great--lived up there for years--beautiful country.

some one throw a lure in Campfire for me.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda of a goat guy,2 in Idaho,3 in Montana and one on Kodiak island.Try Kodiak Is,off the road system DG478 was the unit.The terrian was the easiest and I saw 200 goats in one day. I drew again the next year on my 3rd choice on the island but didn't go.My goat from dg478 was 9 3/4 and I went with sam rohrer.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Apply for every state that offers a goat and if you live long enough you might draw one. Or if you want one book a hunt in SE Alaska by boat or in BC . I have been trying for over 38 yrs and still no go so I would put the money down if you want one plus if you want the long winter hair, you must hunt them in Nov and its very dangerous up on the mtn then...Good luck patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Such a beautiful trophy.Mine is one of my favorites.Please reward yourself and book a quality outfitted hunt in B.C. and realize your
dream.The prefrence point game is only a game for the state game departments to hold your money for interest.
quote:
Originally posted by Ozultra:
I recently saw a lifesize mountain goat and decided I really need one myself. I have always been fascinated with the sheep and hunting them, but have not until recently had the desire to hunt a goat. I am building sheep points currently in Wyoming, so where should I begin appying for goats? Will I have a chance at hunting goats sometime before 2032?

Posts: 210 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry:
Another low cost alternative is to buy a domestic goat, bleach it white or pay an extra $50 to buy a white one. Then, release it in your backyard and kill it with either a bow or a high-powered air-rifle while making a TV episode. Then, most here would think you are worthy.

As far as I am concerned, us hunters are not doing enough for wildlife conservation and we need to create more impact on donations, regulations and have more visibility.