New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rain gear?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you guys use. I'm looking for quiet raingear that won't come apart if I hit a thornbush.

I've been looking at Cabelas' MT050.

But Cabelas also has some some other quiet, packable raingear that they advertise as tough for less money. The rep obviously steered me to the top-of-the-line MT050, but I'd like to know if anyone's had good luck with Rain Fleece, Space Rain, or Silent Pro and what the real differences are.

Also, any other rain gear info or opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
For cool to cold weather I find that the only really quiet durable rain gear is wool. Oilskins are great except its noisy.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I use one of the Cabela's Gortex/micor fleece, great product.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the vote for wool. It'll not keep the rain out if it is really pouring, but if it is a frog-choker type rain, you're not liable to be out hunting in it anyway. And in intermittent rain, you don't build up the sweat under it - wool breathes like Gore-tex is supposed to, but doesn't.

With wool, one of the best things you can do is to fill the tub with below-body temperature water and dump in a bottle of baby oil. Toss in the wool gear and slosh it around good, then let it dry on a flat surface. It replaces the natural (and stinky) oils that are lost when the wool is processed.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit it, but I'm allergic to wool.

fredj338, I like that fleece, too. What do you do for your legs?

Steve

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Anhydrous lanolin treated wool outerwear. Not many people know about this little secret anymore.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish
Where can you get it?
(I am satisfied with my Walls rainsuit. It feels about like a sweatsuit only not as stretchy.)

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish,

I don't know the secret. Where do you get anhydrous lanolin, at the drug store?

And do you just rub it into the wool. Inside and out? Does it coat it, or what?

Steve

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
skl1, if it's really cold, Ive got wool or ins. fleece pants. I don't usually worry much about it. I seldom sit long in the rain.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For very heavy or long rains I have used Gore-Tex and Waxed Cotton, with wool underneath.
I prefer Waxed Cotton. It is quieter than Gore-Tex and breathes better.
If you buy quality either will work... but several Alaskan guides including the one I have hunted with stated in their equipment lists NO GORE-TEX
I have hunted on backpack trips for as long as 9 days where it rained almost 100% of the time with waxed cotton and was dry and warm the whole time.
I like Barbour and Filson wax gear.
The real secret is to wear wool anytiime it is under 50 degrees and you might get wet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1, some esoteric responses there for sure.

Now, to your point, I have worn the Cabela's MT 050 in both insulated and non insulated versions and it performs very well. It has proven to be durable as well, although I did cut my bibs on a trucks's bumper, It didn't go all the way through, I guess the gore-tex liner was still intact, it worked well enough for the balance of the trip, when I returned home I simply took it to the local dry cleaners and the y stitched it up and it has been just fine.

I have many gore-tex products that have been in some very harsh environments and worked well, the post where the fellows' guide advised against gore tex is interesting, I don't understand it, it is a great product and has been used in some of the most demanding expeditions in the world routinely, such as the assault on the summit of Mt. Everest.

Wool is OK, I have my fair share, but it sucks in the rain, and there are many modern products that outperform it. I have a 'windstopper' wool sweater from Cabela's that is one of my favorite garments, but it ain't coming with if it looks like rain. I think you would be very happy if you do step up for the MT 050 gear, and you won't have to be fooling around with secret treatments to get it to perform. Technology can be good!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everybody:

Fish, I think the Goretex restriction had to do with quietness of the clothing.

If I understand it, the MT050 cover the Goretex with a quiet layer of fabric.

Steve

posted Hide Post
I would have to recommend a relatively new material - h2p. It is made by a company called Riverswest. Check out www.riverswest.com

This stuff is what you want when the weather turns ugly. I have a pair pants, and it is much better than Goretex. Almost twice as strong, quiet in all temps, and warm. Take a look...

Posts: 16 | Location: California | Registered: 30 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
If you plan on hunting up here wear wool when its damp, any gore-tex type when its windy and sprinkling, then put on your Helly Hansens if you want to be somewhat dry. It works for me and most professionals who make their living in the field. Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1, I would add that my MT 050 is quiet, and so are my other gore tex items, they do all happen to be suede like or fleece products. I have some Helly Hansens as well-great stuff. I am interested in the gear OneFireStick posted about, I tagged their web page and will be schooling up on it.

Take care--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1: Waterrat gave the best advice on rain gear so far...GoreTex is excellent for light off-and-on rain and when you can dry it out at the end of the day (everyday)...but if you want to stay as dry as possible when it is wet out, you need a set of Helly Hansens..under the Helly Hansens you wear your GoreTex stuff. Under the GoreTex you wear a little wool. As conditions allow you can take layers off...but even when the sun is out, taking your HH off is asking for wet (and maybe frozen) pants... Nothing beats Helly Hansens when it come to shielding yourself from water, at least here in Alaska. I am sure Helly Hansen would work in Maryland. If you get the chance, walk all day in your Goretex stuff in a wet hunting environment and then go back to your tent. If your cloths don't freeze, let them dry out and then walk all day with your wool/GoreTex outfit under your Helly Hansen outer-shell....you will never look back or question HH again and you will always have a set on hand...HH or something that behaves like HH is essential rain gear.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sk/1:
Cabelas MT050 won't pill or fade, and is very soft/silent. The lesser expensive options from Cabelas are somewhat stiffer, not quite as silent, and don't have the "no-pill" guarantee. I have an MT050 Gore-Tex Rain Jacket that's 9 years old...still looks and performs like brand new.
WyDog

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
MikeIravy and Skl1,

Anhydrous lanolin (lanolin absent water) is available at most drugs stores or from several online sources. The lanolin is dissolved in an evaporative solvent such as acetone, benzene, or even gasoline. The garment is soaked in the solution and hung to dry. Usually no odor from the solvent remains, however lanolin is wool fat and does have a distinctive odor. It may or may not attract animals, but Buzzacort never mentioned it. This lanolin treatment on a mackinaw coat and malone pants is good for cold, damp conditions, allowing the wool to absorb less and shed more water. If it is pouring out, I like the Filson Oil Finish Shelter Cloth Outfitter Coat and Oil Finish Cover Cloth Rain Pants.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a navy surplus CPO jacket and some heavy wool shirts. What would be wrong with just giving them a good spraying with Scotchguard or the like?

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Using Scotchgardâ„¢ Heavy Duty Water Repellent would certainly be less hassle and less messy, but I don't know if it would work as well. Anything that will reduce the amount of water the wool can absorb has got to make that garment warmer in wet conditions.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Helly Hansen.

I prefer the "Impertech" version over the thicker type. It's quiet and pliable as can be (even when it's super cold) and the pores don't stretch and leak like Gore-tex if you have a heavy load on your shoulders (like a pack frame).

It's served me well from the relentless cold rain of Kodiak Island to the salty seas off the Louisiana coast.

Even snagged a magazine write-up and a couple of spoonbill in Missouri wearing my Helly gear:

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote