New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rated from 1-5 which actions would you all rank best for building your next custom hunting rifle. Say in calibers ranging anywhere from the 22-250 on up to the 458 Win Mag, and on up if you wish.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Jagermeister>
posted
What is the criteria for the Best Action? I'd say if you want accuracy as well as reliablility and lite weight, go with a rem700,...and if you want solidity, a big mauser.

It seems like the only reason the M70 was created was to have a lighter weight version of the mauser98...Is this so? I like the weatherby mk.V action. I think this action can handle more pressure tha any other action? I would never waste a CRF action on something small like 22-250, but that's me. I doubt i would use one for anything under a .300 cal, just seems useless; I mean CRF MAUSER action. I would use a dakota or 70 for under 300 work. BTW, what is the difference between Ed Brown's CRF 702 and the dakota76? And the Mato for that matter. Did Beretta buy the right to copy the dakota..it seems so similar; better: it seems so Identical.

best action is too controversial for me. I don't have any dogmas..including in regard to actions, so I'm out. But, for a biggie like, as you said 458, i would use a mauser, maybe m76 or m70, but definitely a 98! On the other hand, i would risk my life with a push-feed lke the Mark V, as would and as do many others, especially the Norwegians who love the 460WBY MAG, eh!!

The Heym SR-series and Schultz Larzen rifles are also, exceptional pieces, from whay I've noted. I'm rambling, but I also have an affinity for the P-17 on a big A-Square!

see ya

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost:
Rated from 1-5 which actions would you all rank best for building your next custom hunting rifle. Say in calibers ranging anywhere from the 22-250 on up to the 458 Win Mag, and on up if you wish.

Phil

22-250/458WM MAUSER

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Sako! To my mind, they make the nicest actions you can buy. No frills, just a nice clean looking action in the right size for the job. IMHO

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakota!

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I only use 98 Mauser-types or a derivative when building custom bolt rifles.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the purpose of the gun: The following are my "best pick" for their category.
Remington 40X - varmints
McMillan MCRT - push feed
Dakota 76 - CRF
Browning 71 - lever action
Butch Searcy - Big stuff

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
The only action I have seen work all of the time are the 98 Mauser style actions

Vektor
Winchester pre 64 style
Musgrave( now Truvelo)
Dakota
Old FN 98 Sako's
As the bore diameter goes up the stakes get bigger would you really want to hunt with a push feed gun for Elephant or buffalo.

I forgot to put BRNO and CZ

[This message has been edited by alekojjensen (edited 03-20-2002).]

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Wapi-T>
posted
1. Nesika
2. BAT
3. McMillan

one of us
posted Hide Post
22-250 would be on a Mexican 1936 Mauser
.458 would be on a VZ-24 Mauser

everything in-between can be built on a Mauser action.

Actually, with the 22-250, I would just buy a Savage heavy barrel like I did, shoots under 1/2 MOA

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakota!!!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FN Mauser.

I have not had a pleasant experience dealing with Dakota.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<migra>
posted
Make mine Mauser.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I mentioned above that I prefer 98 Mausers and their variations. Specifically I like FN commercial, pre-64 M-70, Brno 21/22 ZG-47 & ZKK series, Mexican Mausers for short cartridges and Brevex magnums. I have also built rifles using early Sako actions (not a Mauser-type) which are very nice. I'd like to do one on the Vektor action and I'd like to build a Hagn single shot. I'm currently working on a Sako L-57 in 308, a Ruger #1 in 450NE using fiddleback maple which should turn out nice, and a Brevex 510 Wells as soon as I find a suitable piece of English.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
<jayloar>
posted
Are the Husquvarna rifles built on the standard Mauser 98 action? My wife has a early 70's Husquvarna 270 with a factory 20" barrel and only weighs 6.5 lbs. Very handy rifle but the trigger is horrible so I was thinking of getting an aftermarket trigger for it. I believe I have to get the Mauser 98 trigger and safety combination. Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
1. Winchester 70
2. Sako 75
3. CZ 550
4. Mauser 98
5. Remington 700

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
1) Model 70 Winchester

2) Mauser 98

3) Weatherby Mark V

4) Remington Model 700

5) Ruger M-77 Mark II

AD

[This message has been edited by allen day (edited 03-20-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we are not limited to bolts & we are talking hunting, my pick would be the Belgum BAR action.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
For a woods rifle I like the 99 Savage. It is very fast to operate and handles well. With it's rear locking lug, controlled round feeding and rotary mag you have the best woods rifle ever made for me.

For a open country rifle the pre-64 M-70 is still my favorite. I wish they had a tang safety however.

<T/Jazz>
posted
Personally I like the lever actions or short barrel pump guns for the woods.

I have come to believe that the Winchester model 70 is the best alround action....according to the gunsmiths and professional people and books I have read.

I don't think you need a control feed action to hunt whitetail deer, no offense to the African crowd. It does however make sense to have a proven, trouble free type safety on any gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BR: Nesika, BAT, Stolle, Hall, Farley (several others).

Varminting: almost anything can be made to work but it's hard to argue with Rem 700/721/722/40X.

Big Game Hunting and more: Mauser 98 as the remainder on my list are essentially copies, Enfield P17, Rem 30, Win pre-64 70, other copies.

Never ever a Weatherby!!

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Mauser (original, new production, etc.)
2. Springfield
3. Enfield P14 or P17
4. Sako
5. Not Weatherby
6. Not Remington
7. Definitely not Savage

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jayloar

I also have a Huskavarna, but in 30-06, a superb rifle but I believe mine is a small ring mauser not the large ring typically found in Mauser 98 action. you may want to check before changing triggers, I think timney makes one for your husky.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For 222/223 cases the little Sako A-I is just the berries.

For rounds built on 308 Win (260, 243, 7-08, 308 etc) cases the Rem 700 short action would be ideal.

For cartridges based on the '06 case and you are looking for precision, I'd go with the 700 Rem Long action. If you are looking for a hunting rifle, either the Win 70 or the Mauser 98 are good actions to work with.

Medium Bore magnums (7mm, 338 and 300) go with the Rem 700 or Win 70.

Big bore cartridges and the Big 416 and 458 Magnums you would want to use the Brno, P14 or Mauser 98 actions.

My thoughts

Pete

------------------
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers on the bus he was driving...

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Prarie Gun Works
Nesika Bay

MM

<RussT>
posted
Wells
Gentry
Nesika
Brown
Winchester

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like a Mauser Mod. 98 Chilean, Puruvian in large ring and a G33-40 in a small ring...My all time favorite is the Brono 21M and 22F double square bridge small ring actions.

I like the Win. Mod 70 control feeds both pre 64 and the new ones. the Dakota is a fine copy of the Mod 70 with some nice improvements, but too costly for me.

I have a soft spot for the 99 Savages and Win. 94 but thats off the subjects here.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one was to go looking for an original German K98, say 42 or 43 vintage. Not necessarilly matching but in shooting condition. What would one look for, and what could he expect to have to pay.

Phil

Posts: 1468 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray beat me to it.
#1 BRNO 21

#2 Pre 64 Model 70

#3 98 Mausers, Peruvian, Argentine, Mexican 1910, G33/40

#4 Short action favorite, if I could find one and then afford it is a Kurtz 98.

#5 Big boomer - brevex

#6 BRNO 602 with the pop up peep sight ( I know it is 98, but I just love that sight)

BTW, Allen, I am up early in Vegas waiting for the time to pass so I can go to the SCI show. My watch has noticeably slowed down. My children were born faster than this.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One action, many uses.

Encore Single*Shot

20 ga rifle slug barrel

50 Cal In-line muzzle loader

300 wm 24" stainless

338-06 24" stainless

308 14" pistol

same trigger same feel same results. Success

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Any large ring Mauser variation will do. I personally like the VZ-24 for workmanship and you can get everything from the VZ-24 that all the others offer for less. M70, Sako (weatherby), CZ550, Ruger M77II, 1903A3, and 1917/14 enfield are all mauser variations with control round feed.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!