THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunting with Suppressors to be legal for big game in Texas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with Suppressors to be legal for big game in Texas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received word that the Parks and Wildlife passed the rule allowing hunting of big game in Texas with suppressed weapons. The hearing was today. Public feedback was roughly 3500 for and 350 against. This is great news.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only problem I see is the amount of paperwork that is required and the time for ATF to approve the tax stamp for the suppressor.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Only problem I see is the amount of paperwork that is required and the time for ATF to approve the tax stamp for the suppressor.

Not hard at all. 6 month wait sucks, but you knoe that going into it.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It was already allowed on TPW level three managed properties. I killed a nice 10 pointer with a suppressed 6.8 SPC three years ago in Goliad.

Nice to see it go mainstream.

Posts: 8 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pagosa,

it gives you a reason to stop by your gun shop every week.

Seventeen weeks and counting...

Rich

the only problem I have is that I find something else I need each visit. Although, I do not consider it a serious problem like my lovely wife does.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenMaryThree:
It was already allowed on TPW level three managed properties. I killed a nice 10 pointer with a suppressed 6.8 SPC three years ago in Goliad.

Were did you see this as law??? We hunt level 3 and that has never been the case.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One really doesn't need a suppressors to hunt quite. Long barreled 30 inchs or more heavey for cailber cast bullet at 800 to 900 fps.

My 45-70 with 10 grs of unique a 460 gr at 875fps and a 35 inch barrel is really quite. The key is to keep the bullet vel below sonic and to have a barrel long enough to burn all the powder and keep the gas release below sonic speed.

You can get pellet gun and below sound levels out of the right combo.

Posts: 19373 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's news to me. My ranch is level three but suppressors for big game were never legal to my knowledge.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:

That's news to me. My ranch is level three but suppressors for big game were never legal to my knowledge.

Next question...what's the statute of limitations on his now public "joke" Wink.

Perry