New
Find
Notify
Tools

wyoming elk hunt: recommendatations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an elk and mule deeer tag for Wyoming unit 8.(east of Laramie)) I dont have a lot of experience hunting elk. my friends and I will be hunting public land, and camping.
Anyone out there know the area? any recommendations re where to go? we will have 3 days to scout.thanks!

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
In unit 8 you'll likely be hunting the migration out of the Snowy Mountains. There will have to be snow in the upper elevations to get them moving. Rather than scouting it might be best to spend some time asking Game&Fish and locals about the migration and winter range in that area. There is some BLM land along the Laramie River. For deer, hunt the drainages.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call the Wy Game and Fish dept. Ask to speak to the wildlife biologist who services that area. Their information can be invaluable. My first time to do something like that I was a little reserved about it. Always thought they would be more 'friend of animals' type. But they are actually quite helpful. Another tip I learned was to talk to the area game warden. Again, a little unusual. But, they will let you know of areas that are problems to avoid. They don't want to have to ticket/arrest someone who did something wrong without malice. They can be a huge help as well. The BLM situation can be a little sticky there. The fences are NOT indicators of the actual property lines. I saw three guys get ticketed for hunting private prop. when the fences were 600 yds away. Those fences have been around years but the prop. gets bought and sold and cut up without the fences being updated. I've hunted WY a couple of times and have enjoyed each one. The area I've hunted has been around Thermop. and so the guide I've used probably wouldn't be of help. And really enjoyed meeting the people from WY. All good solid folks. Good luck and hope you shoot a monster!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My recommendation is to not be out there elk hunting when it's 70 degrees and no snow. Sometimes it's hard to do and you call that a fishing trip.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "elk" country in area 8 is along the state line with Colorado. There will be elk there when you go hunting, but I'm pretty sure quite a large chunk of this area is private land.

Sorry I can't give more information...went to UW and spent quite a bit of time fishing in this area, but never hunted an elk there.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, will let u know how it turns out

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It did turn out to be a fishing trip; too warm for elk.