Find
Notify
Tools

Our two new .338's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
I know I posted this in the Medium Bore section, but I guess I wanted to show off here too, so please forgive me [Big Grin] . This weekend my dad and I picked up our two new .338 Win Mag's from the gunsmith, Mike Scherz of Gila River Custom Guns (928.580.0976) in Yuma, AZ.

-
The top is my dad's and the bottom one is mine.

His is built on a FN-Mauser action with a 25inch tube. The laminate stock is from Boyd with an ebony tip, cross-bolt and a Timinny trigger.

Mine is a 1903 Springfield with a 23 inch tube. The stock is from Wenig.

Both wear Burris Fullfield II 3x-9x scopes with BallisticPlex reticles on custom scope bases.

-
And from the left.

-
A close-up of dad's. (Sorry for the fuzziness [Smile] )

-
And of mine

Now where is my elk tag?!?!?!!? [Big Grin]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] [Eek!] Wow!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

Beautiful rifles. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I like the wood on the springfield!

Bakes

Posts: 8037 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto on the springfield stock, what a beautiful piece of wood; I'm jealous....... [Big Grin]

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I like the look of the Laminate stock and the ebony cap is nice. Looks really good with the stainless work. Did your Dad get the Boyds stock lightened? Can't wait to hear how they shoot and other impressions. I've been toying with the idea of a .338WM and/or.416 Rem Mag. built on a Mauser X action with a Boyds stock. May have to consider the end cap now too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, have you loads in mind or are you a factory fodder guy?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave In LB:
Did your Dad get the Boyds stock lightened? Can't wait to hear how they shoot and other impressions. I've been toying with the idea of a .338WM and/or.416 Rem Mag. built on a Mauser X action with a Boyds stock. May have to consider the end cap now too. [Big Grin]

Obviously I can't speak for JLHeard but the forend sure does look shorter than from the Boyd's factory.

JLHeard--

Nice job, did the bottom inletting work for the FN action? I got one for a Mark X but the front action screw area was inletted for a military action -- I'll probably try to fill it in with a slice out of the forend tip from my Ruger's JRS:

-

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I believe the Boyd stock looks lighter because of the camera flash.

John Frazer - My dad's experience to date is that early FN import box/floorplate that he used is approx. 1/4inch shorter in front of the front screw than the military and did require filling in. He's also used a FN Muskeeter action who's box/floorplate was shorter than military in front of the front screw. This wasn't a problem with a laminate stock, but would be with the standard inleting on nice a wood stock.

fredj338 - I'm hoping to move here in the next few months so I'm not sure I'd be able to do any reloading anytime soon. So I'm thinking of setting it up for Winchester 230grn. Failsafes.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You might also give the Federal Premiums a try. Very good shooting in (2) of my friend's .338wm.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote