New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby, and Colorado Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To all, what's your oppinions on the best bullet for Colorado Elk in the 300 Weatherby loads. This is for my M70, and will be starting off with Weatherby cases (maybe Norma later), Fed 215 Primers, and H4831SC. Thinking on just going with the Nosler 220 gr. partions. But thought you all might have something you like better. And willing to give your secrets.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try Nosler partition or Barnes X bullets in 180 grain. Don't think you need a 220. You may need to flatten your trajectory as much as possible. Practice a bunch out to as far as you can hit a paper plate every time.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
My son uses my 300 H&H Improved, which is basically a Weatherby without the double radius shoulders.
We use 180 Grain partitions and it shoots them so well it is hard to believe and they work great on Elk. I don't see any reason a 200 or 220 grain bullet wouldn't work just fine also except for the slight loss in trajectory.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 180 or 200gr Nosler Partition. In the Wetherby cartridge the 200gr would still have a pretty flat trajectory, not to mention it would hit like a Ton of bricks. If recoil is not an issue I would go with the 200gr. NP.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to get on the light and fast, verses the slow and heavy thing again. But where does the Partitions spitzer or semi-spitzer design, fit against say a round nose or solid as far as meat loss. I've had quite a few tell me i shouldn't go over 180 gr., and some suggesting the use of balistic tips instead of even the partition.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not use ballistic tips on anything I may want to eat any more. Someone said that the have made some improvements on them so that they hold together better but the 1st several years they were on the market, WOW, it looked like instant hamburger for 6-10" around entrance wounds.

Only way to be sure of saving meat from being bloodshot is to slow your bullets way down. I have no idea on the roundnose vs spitzer issue. Where will you be hunting in Co.?

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Taos, not sure if I'm even going to get a chance for hunting this year. But want to be prepared for a last minute dash. Had a chance to go last year in the Granby area with Pumpgun and his son. But had to pass at the last minute, this was after already drawing and purchasing the tags. Don't think there'll be any problem with placement at 300 yards. But if I'm going to go to the expense of that kind of hunt. Meat loss would be my greatest worry, if I even got a shot. 165 gr. XLC's have been suggested. But that brings up a whole new territory I've never even tried. This rifle has never been fired yet. So might be the perfect time to give the XLC's a try. But I tend to believe in the slow, and heavy therory.

Phil

<allen day>
posted
I've had good luck with 180 gr. Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded, and Winchester Fail-Safe bullets on elk out of the .300 Winchester. I've had Hornady's come apart on elk before, and I won't use them anymore. I'll use the same caliber for elk in Utah this year loaded with 180 gr. Partition Protected Points. These work well.

In your case, I'd take advantage of the extra case capacity of the .300 Weatherby and load 200 gr. Nosler Partitions. Every .300 Weatherby shooter I know who has used this bullet swears by it for elk, moose, etc.

AD

<phurley>
posted
Greyghost -- If I were you I would try the 200 gr. North Fork bullets. They have been the most accurate tough bullets I have ever shot, and a big Bull requires a tough bullet. I have shot the North Fork in a 300 Ultra Mag, .340 Wby and .358 STA and .416 Rem. A Nosler Partition for sure instead of a Ballistic tip, Swift A-Frame, Barnes X or XLC would also be excellent Elk medicine. I shot a .300 Wby for a buddy all summer two years ago preparing the correct load for Elk. Just before Elk season that year he decided to sell the rifle, a 700 Rem Classic that had been Accurized fully with a muzzle brake put on, mounted with a 4.5 X 14 Leupold Vari X III scope. I was getting one hole groups with a 200 gr. Nosler Partition on good shooting days. Another buddy bought the rifle and on the last day of the season the last minutes of daylight but still light enough for a clear shot, he made a lazer measured 619 yard shot at a Bull, connecting on two out of three shots and killing the Bull. The Bull was going up a steep mountain and offered a rather elongated target. [Wink] After crawling his Ass for even attempting the shot, I congratulated him for good marksmanship and helped him recover the animal. The .300 Weatherby is an excellent Elk rifle in my opinion, particularly when using the heavier bullets that the .300's all were designed to shoot efficiently. Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greyghost: I switched over years ago to a 30-338 but before doing that I used a 300 WBY. I fire formed 300 H&H case used a 180 gr bullet and Fed mag primers. Never lost an elk with that load. Now as to brands of bullets. I tried the speers grand slam and nosler partition and Barnes. I finally settled on two bullets and still use those in my 30-338. Either a Hornaday or Rem core lokt 180 gr flat base bullet. I find with those bullets I don't have alot of meat loss. I never have used more than a 180 bullet for elk or deer so I cann't say how a heavier bullet would do. I'm having a 300WSM being built now and it is twisted for the 180 gr bullets and my use that for deer this year. I still have my 300 WBY. Well good luck!

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dice2>
posted
Greyghost if you can get the Barnes 180 or 200 grain to work in your gun accurately then please do so. They do outpenitrate any other brand of bullet other than a solid by over 20%.

On the other hand if you can't there is always the Swift A Frames (little heavier construction than the Nosler partition) in a 200 grain or the Nosler partitions themselves in a 200 grain. The 300 Weatherby has the extra horses for flat trajectory with a 200 grain bullet.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In a compromise between the spitzer and round nose folks, I load the 180gr Protected Point Partition in a 300 WBY. Very accurate, the points don't get beaten up, and the difference in trajectory is negligible. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've checked out the woodleighs, but where does one get information on the North Fork bullets. Do they have a web site?

Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both the 200 and 220 gr. Noslers and they work like a charm...I prefer the 220 and they get over 2700 and thats good enough for 300 yds. and one should not shoot elk at much more than 300 as the Wby etc turn into a 30-30 pretty quick....

Northforks are excellent bullets and sure do work on anything....northfork@vcn.com or tel 307-436-2726....I suspect a 180 or 200 gr. Northfork would zip an elk from stem to stern...

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Part of the beauty of using Super Premium bullets is that it allows you to go to a smaller weight bullet, hence increase trajectory and not have to worry about the bullet coming apart. In the old days, Weatherby recommended the 220gr Hornady RN for just that purpose; deep penetration. Today, a 180gr Barnes X for example will flat shoot through an elk from north to south. I happen to like Swift A Frames in 200gr for elk. You don't need to go up to a 220. Bottom line is shoot a good premium bullet that your rifle shoots accurately. BTW, I learned my lesson with Hornady 180s in Africa. Jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My elk hunting partner a couple years ago used 180 Partitions in his .300 Wby ... unfortunately, several shots were fired, but all penetrated completely (broadside) on a 4x5 bull.

I used a 180 Partition (Federal factory load) in a .30-06 -- a single shot at 40 yds. through the heart & lungs, lodged in the opposite shoulder.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Believe I'll try the Barnes 180XLC Spitzer, Nosler 220 gr. Semi-Spitzer Partion, and the North Fork 200gr. And see where this leads me. Being as this is a new factory rifle, I'll probably start with the Barnes, be easier to start with a absolutly clean barrel. After getting North Fork's flyer, something tells me that the North Fork is a better design.

Phil

posted Hide Post
I shoot the Nosler 200gr spitzer in my 300Wby, shoots under 1/2MOA and will penetrate just as far as the 220gr., which in my rifle doesn't shoot all that well. If you want to get top velocity from these heavier bullets I'd suggest trying 7828 or R22 powders, they have worked far better for me than 4831SC.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote