Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Model 100?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted
I have recently inherited my grandfathers deer rifle and was wondering if anyone could give me some info concerning it. I know it's a Winchester model 100, semi-auto, chambered in .308win and hasn't been made for years but that's about it. Any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a factory recall for at least some M100s. Check with the factory for how to ID the repair, or take it to a smith that is familiar with the repair.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
Have known a couple of people who had them and liked them a lot. As a sidenote, 15 years ago I picked up a Remington 740 30-06 semiauto in a complicated trade. With this gun I did the worst shooting on deer that I had/have ever done. I allowed firepower to replace thinking, and mised two bucks in one season--one a nice big, mature buck. With any other gun, I would have waited for the optimum shot, but in these two instances, the bucks stopped after I emptied the rifle, and posed for me! Rifle's fault? Not hardly, but out of fear of doing something that stupid again, I traded it off for a nice bolt action .308. Regards, Chuck

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
I found this in the Small Arms of the world from 1977:

Winchester introuced the gas operated Model 100 in 1960. It has unusually clean, smooth lines and is a thoroughly modern design, exploiting mass production techniques, including stamping and weldments. It utilizes and under-barrel gas cylinder, twin-armed operating slide/gas piston, two-part rotating reciprocating bold and pivoted hammer firing mechanism. The stock is a one piece design, and the detachable box magazine holds four rounds. When assambled, the rear of the receiver is closed by a solid steel recoil block attached permanetly to the stock in M1 Carbine fashion. This model is out of prodution.

Caliber: . 243 .284 .308win
Operation by: Gas; reciprocating rotating bolt.
Barrel length: 19-22 in
Overall length: 39 1/2,-42 1/2 in.
Weight: 7lbs.
Sights: Open, adjustable.
Magazine capacity: 4 rounds; 3 in .284.

Hope this helps
There is a picture of it as well. It lookes nice. Good luck with it.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote