THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    All around cartridge for Most NA game
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All around cartridge for Most NA game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Interesting article in the latest Sports Afield magazine. Article written by Craig Boddington.
He suggests a formula to choose a rifle for all North American game except the big bears.

To paraphrase:

"Between .264 and .284 inch bullet diameter, bullet weight of 140 grains, muzzle velocity of 3000 FPS, and muzzle energy close to 3000 foot pounds."

This formula will take elk and moose out to 400 yards if you hit the animal in the correct spot and it will still be pleasant to shoot.

So basically, he is saying the .264 Win Mag, the 270 Winchester, the .280 Remington, and the 7mm Rem Mag., or variants thereof.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hahaha!

They devise a “formula”?

Anything from 6.5 mm and over will do.

Pick the one you like!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Saeed. Boddington has always been a 280 fan, so of course he had to create a formulae that is built around that. It is laughable that this "formulae" leaves out the 30-06 for all practical purposes by using the 140 grain bullet. But then again, I never cared for Boddington anyway.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BS.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again? How many articles of this sort have been written? It is like your wife asking " What is your favorite color? ", over and over, and over.

Posts: 1074 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
woo hoo my 7x57 ICL just squeaks in.
except I don't run it at 3,000 fps it tears up too much meat.

I sometimes wonder if the thought of not shooting at something 400yds. away doesn't occur to some of these writers.
I bet most of us remember when 250 or 300yds was a long shot.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Hahaha!

They devise a “formula”?

Pick the one you like!

Saeed, you make it too simple. That doesn't sell magazine stories. But I agree with you.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Hahaha!

They devise a “formula”?

Pick the one you like!

Saeed, you make it too simple. That doesn't sell magazine stories. But I agree with you.

That is why I no longer read these magazines!

Before the Internet I read them for entertainment, not knowledge.

I think it was Bob Milek who wrote that a 243 Winchester is marginal for deer, but a 357 Magnum revolver is perfect for deer!

And Jamison, I think, wrote that the 220 Swift destroys barrels in a couple of dozen rounds!

More of a comedy show than knowledgeable shooting information.

But, was funny to read! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is simple 30-06 30-06 30-06

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how the numbers of wounded game would decrease if sportsman spent more time on shooting than calculating load data and ballistics?

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Read that and thought, "my 257 is too small, my -06 is too big, my 375 is WAY too big, lucky I have a 270!" dancing

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Interesting article in the latest Sports Afield magazine. Article written by Craig Boddington.
He suggests a formula to choose a rifle for all North American game except the big bears.

To paraphrase:

"Between .264 and .284 inch bullet diameter, bullet weight of 140 grains, muzzle velocity of 3000 FPS, and muzzle energy close to 3000 foot pounds."

That's from the man who is a die hard fan of the 8mm Rem Mag but devoted an entire article to saying the .300 H&H is obsolete? animal

I wish him no ill. I enjoy his articles. He has done much to promote the hunting and shooting community and related industries. I thank him for his military service.

But, come on!

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
What I always find funny about these type "Discussions" is that the critters being shot, Do Not Read !!!!!!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Remember when you work for a gunzine you have to come up with at least one or two stories a month.
This is my assumption why all the 6.5 C hoopla.
Something new that does a good job.

And of course the long range shooting at live game

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
It is simple 30-06 30-06 30-06

For me 30-06,308, 300 HH, 338WM. Whichever I am in the mood to shoot

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
308 with 150 grain
Works every time

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I will say about Mr. Boddington is that he offers reasoning - some of it scientific - to support his opinion, and he pretty much stays away from ad hominem reasoning.

For example, he admits that many of the larger calibers would also make a good all around rifle, but he supports his opinion by stating that in general most folks will shoot a lighter kicking rifle better, which in my mind is better reasoning that just saying "B.S.".

He also supports his opinion that some of the smaller calibers - even though they are easy to shoot - do not make a great all around rifle because they tend to leave a smaller exit hole which can hinder recovery of the animal if shot placement was not correct.

In other words, he gives a non-subjective reason for each of his choices, which of course is different than, "I shot 25 deer with my 30-30 and therefore its the best all around gun there is".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather killed deer,bear and moose with a 32/20.Most would scoff at that cartridge ,but it was his everything rifle and served him well.Thinking more power is the answer is off base.Its what you can shoot good and feels good to you.Sometimes folks find out right away what does the job for them or they are like me and enjoy trying out different rifles and calibers.There is no one size fits all.I use a 30/30 in Wisconsin and a 270 out west.Thats what works for me.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are talking one caliber, most north American big game (no brown bears or polar bears) shots out to 400 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Outdoor writers have to write to make money.

Some do on demand articles other articles they come up with themselves.

A s long as they can sell it they write it.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
One thing I will say about Mr. Boddington is that he offers reasoning - some of it scientific - to support his opinion, and he pretty much stays away from ad hominem reasoning.

For example, he admits that many of the larger calibers would also make a good all around rifle, but he supports his opinion by stating that in general most folks will shoot a lighter kicking rifle better, which in my mind is better reasoning that just saying "B.S.".

He also supports his opinion that some of the smaller calibers - even though they are easy to shoot - do not make a great all around rifle because they tend to leave a smaller exit hole which can hinder recovery of the animal if shot placement was not correct.

In other words, he gives a non-subjective reason for each of his choices, which of course is different than, "I shot 25 deer with my 30-30 and therefore its the best all around gun there is".

What science went into choosing a 140 grain bullet?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What science went into choosing a 140 grain bullet?

What ever company would send him some for free.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Boddington shot a .264 Win Mag. for years. That is where the 140 grain bullet in his formula came from.

Posts: 2330 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the length versus diameter gives 140grs in the middle bores outstanding penetration even at lower speeds, and enough length to move enough of the un expanded bullet through on higher velocity shots.

one could easily make the same argument for a 100gr 25 cal, 120gr 6.5, 130gr 27 or 140-145gr 28 cal.
they all [the bullets] have about the same length and flight characteristics, and the same penetration capability on animals.

you don't need 3,000 fps either,, unless you need to qualify the 400 yd. shooting through some poundage minimum your trying to meet.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
300 Weatherby, 180 grain Nosler Partition.

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I do not like the 140gr bullet at that velocity unless it was a mono-metal. 2800 fps for 140 gr is fine to 300 meters.

280 Rem or 7mm magnum should do a lot better with 150gr or 160 gr bullets on the larger animals like elk & moose and even black bear.

JMHO.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've only got three rifle calibers in my collection.

They are .22, 30-60 and .375H&H. I use the 06 for more big game than the .375 but either are go to calibers for deer season.

I have had a variety of other calibers but for various reasons I did not like them. The .270 and .300WM I had were terrible mule kickers. Got rid of 'em.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find as I get older, I have a lot more 17, 22, 22Mag, 223/556 in my safe. They are cheaper, more fun to shoot, and make me practice LOTS more to be a better shot. My hunting rifles are 7 Rem Mag for almost everything, and 300 Rem Ultra for the REALLY long range capabilities. Nothing else needed. The 416 Ruger and 450/400 are just considered too specialized to hunt over here with.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Baumgart:
300 Weatherby, 180 grain Nosler Partition.

300 Weatherby, 180 grain TTSX Wink

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun magazines are entertainment, and Boddington is an entertainer.

I read no gun magazines, not even NRA publications.

An accomplished hunter with a Model 94 that he knows how to shoot has the perfect NA big game rifle...for him.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, in my opinion, sectional densities of .284 caliber bullets makes 7MM caliber rifles superb. 175 grain 7MM bullets have mystical penetration ability. Put a 160 Partition in a 7MM Rem Mag & get ready for hard work of quartering and hauling a whole lotta meat.

Again, in my opinion, the .280 Rem is the best cartridge for hunting all NA big game. And no, I don't own a .280 Rem.

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
A decent bullet, at a reasonable velocity, in a well tuned rifle with quality optics. Lots of cartridges fit this description.

My "Go To" rifle? And old Mark X Mauser, 24 inch factory barrel, in 30-06. Stuck in a Bell and Carlson stock and topped with a 3-9 Burris. All old school, I put the rifle together in about 1980 from parts I obtained in trades and at gun shows. Maybe $200 total in the outfit.

160 Grain Ballistic Tips for Deer and smaller, 180 grain Partitions for Elk. This rifle is the energizer bunny: Just keeps on working. Have not touched the scope adjustments since the rifle was assembled.

I have two 338's and several 300 mags. The above 30-06 just gets the nod for most hunting trips.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
Gun magazines are entertainment, and Boddington is an entertainer.

I read no gun magazines, not even NRA publications.

An accomplished hunter with a Model 94 that he knows how to shoot has the perfect NA big game rifle...for him.

Yep, I have not purchased a gun magazine for over 20 years. Too much BS in all of them.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old news, 30-06. But probably too simple. I believe this was Ted Truebloods reccomendation back in the 60's. When I was reloading I loaded everything from 100 gr. (waste of time), to 220 gr. Finally settled in on the Nosler 165 gr.
Asking a question like this is as bad as asking for fishing advice. IMHO

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Morning, WoodHunter,

I think the '06 is the greatest NA big game cartridge ever invented. I don't own an '06 either. It has spawned other great big cartridges; e.g, .270 Win, .280 Rem, .35 Whelen, etc. There was no need for other big game cartridges once the '06 was born. But that wouldn't have been fun. The more, the merrier.

Had I been sharp when intelligence would've been beneficial, I'd of bought an '06 & never needed another gun. I could've spend rifle money on big game tags. But then again, as a teenager, when I took up big game hunting, the '06 was thought to be too much gun for a kid. So I was steered towards the .270 Win. I have no regrets. That rifle is 45+ years old & will still shoot .25" @ a hundred with 60 grains of H-4831 & 130 GameKings for ~3030 FPS outta a 22" barreled Model 700. Nope, I ain't sellin' it. Many, many years ago a vary sage friend told me to never sell a shooter rifle.

I'm votin' for the '06 as NA king of big game cartridges!!! ;-)

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
For me it's a 7mm Rem mag loaded with 160 Nosler Accubonds!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
For me it's a 7mm Rem mag loaded with 160 Nosler Accubonds!

^^^That right there is wisdom of rarefied, authenticated, big game master hunter, certified Phi Beta Kappa tag filler^^^

I've been known to shoot 160 grain Partitions outta my 7MM Rem Mag with success. Accubonds weren't invented when I bought a lifetime's supply of Partitions.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
And I know a long time guide in western Colorado that claims he has seen more elk hit and lost with a .7mm Rem Mag than any other caliber.

All around cartridge for Most NA game

The one the shooter is most comfortable/confident and competent with.

The "Greatest" caliber/rifle/scope combination money can buy is worthless iof bthe SHOOTER cannot place their shots where they need to go, consistently.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me guess... He mentioned 20 calibers and loved them all.

I don't trust anything he says about caliber or rifle selection.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With sound moderators being relatively cheap, easily acquired and hassle free in The U.K .270 is a puppy dog you can teach your kids to shoot at range with and for a wee bit closer in and in deference to our European neighbours I'll throw 7x64 in the hat.