New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last-minute Montana elk hunt special
 Login/Join

<Rimrock>
posted
Chalk it up to 9/11, the stock market pendulum, or whatever but quite a few outfitters didn't book up this year. One of our best outfitters still has a week completely open for one of his camps, and just cut the price a whopping 50%. So if you're a bargain hunter (in both senses of the phrase), with a jonesing for a big bull elk, and can schedule on short notice this is something to take a look at.
I put details on my website, http://www.cowboyhvn.com/2002_elk_special.htm but briefly it's a tent camp in the Madison Range. Prime area with limited hunting pressure, lots of elk and a proven history of producing trophy bulls. His normal price is $3800 for 2 X 1, or $5000 1 X 1. He'd book two to four guys 11/20-26, for $1900 per.
For that price, it'll be a semi-guided hunt, which you understand is not at all the same thing as a hunt with a semi-guide ;-). There'd be two staff members in camp; an experienced cook/guide/wrangler, and an assistant. They'll show you around, but you'd primarily be hunting on your own. It's no road hunt, you need to be in decent shape. You ride horse to camp, but hunt primarily on foot.
Most interestingly, there are still a handful of Montana Elk Combination licenses available from Fish, Wildlife, and Parks, for $585.00. We're talking three or four licenses that were returned (my gunfire and guitar damaged ears were unable to decipher the exact reason, but it doesn't really matter. They're available, first come first served.)
If you've been thinking about hunting elk in Montana, this is one you ought to take a hard look at. Bargains like this don't come along too often, not for this caliber of hunt....

[ 11-01-2002, 01:56: Message edited by: Rimrock ]

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That's a helluva good price.........!!!

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Farm:
That's a helluva good price.........!!!

That sounds like a great trip but I've never been elk hunting or even hunted in an area like that. Wouldn't it be wise to get a guide the first time out as opposed to semi-guided?

[ 11-04-2002, 07:24: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
Yes, I would recommend a fully guided hunt if you've never hunted elk before.
If you have, though, and are used to finding your way around in mountainous terrain & in good enough shape to do so for a few days in a row, this hunt would be hard to beat.
We just got back last night from a quickie overnighter in the same general vicinity as this hunt takes place. My son nailed a 6-point (pretty much of a glorified 5-point, actually) within 500 yards of the tent yesterday morning! I'll post photos when I get 'em back, later today with any luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rimrock,
Congratulate your son for me and I can't wait to see the pictures!

[ 11-04-2002, 20:12: Message edited by: amosgreg ]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
The developer screwed up the prints, but the negatives look OK and I'm taking them back in. Anyway, this one was salvageable although not a Pulitzer winner.

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe not a Pulitzer winner but definitly a keeper in the Hunting Trophies photo department!
Great shot with the mountains in the background!
IMHO there is nothing wrong with that shot and I think it is better than just one of him and the elk only.
Thanks!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<richard powell>
posted
Rimrock, you should be a guide... 13 year old kid - two bull elk in his career already!!! I know that the first one took him 30 minutes into his hunting career..... This Montana elk hunting is not to be despised - especially for fellows like you who do their homework!!!