THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I finally was drawn for a Kodiak Brown Bear!(DB 241 Red lake)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally was drawn for a Kodiak Brown Bear!(DB 241 Red lake)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After six years of applying I finally got my Kodak Brownie permit!! I will be there next spring.
Is anyone here familliar with the Red Lake/ Olga Bay area of Kodiak!
Anyone ever hunted or fished or have any knoledge of the area to share [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I have talked to ADFG in Kodiak and dug out a 7.5min topo map of the area [Big Grin]
Any info will be Greatly Appreciated [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Thank'S

tsturm

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
tsturm,

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! That used to be Bill Pinnell & Morris Talifson country.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
tsturm if its the place I read about home of REAL BIG GRIZZLYS. by the old salmon cannery. Snow gets real deep and take a bigger gun.

Best of Luck to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
great hunting in the area from what I've heard, never drawn there myself, but I know a few who have, not sure where they hunted, will ask for you, they all got large brownies so they are there. good luck and safe hunting.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tsturm,
Congratulations! You sure got a good draw, a choicest of spots! I drew Kaguyak Bay, next to Jap Bay, once upon a time. I glassed King Kong of Kodiak, a 13 footer (Had to be! [Wink] ) from two miles away, stalked to within 300 yards of him and he took off at a run with me running after him. He got away, but it was fun. The sows with cubs would stand around in broad daylight if you didn't get any closer than 100 yards. Good luck! May the red gods smile upon you.
Cheers!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
tsturm,

I hunted the area near Red Lake back in the fall of '61. To long ago for info. I do remember the rain though. I sure wish that Gore-Tex had been around then. I'd suggest you have enough to cover from head to toe. Something else I didn't have that I would have killed for was a very good set of hip waders. Some times the only way through the tag alders is to walk the streams. In the fall, that will curl your hair. As I recall, the method used in the spring is to find a good spot to glass the green slopes. A bear coming out of hibernation eats a lot of grass to get their system working. I hope you will be in good enough shape to cover some ground quickly.
That country ruins a lot of scopes. They seem to fog up pretty quick. Good luck. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You lucky dog!!! I just made my yearly $50 dollar donation to ADF&G through the guise of the permit drawing system. I've never been drawn! Oh well, try again next year.

Good luck, hope you take a "King Kong" as Daga Ron put it.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tsturm: I haven't been to Red Lake but did hunt the north end of Frasier Lake and the valley going west thru the pass and into the Red Lake area. This was in May 1978 as I recall. The last 2 weeks of the season. There was no timber in our area, only willows, etc. Though I haven't hunted brownies for years, I'd guess you've got a good area. I wounded a nice one (not hurt bad)& he got away from us. A couple of suggestions, take a roll of 6 mil visqueen & also a good set of hip boots. Visqueen's for anything & everything in that country. There was snow on the mountain sides when I was there so the hip boots really helped.
As a side note, my partner & I have been drawn for the 2nd any elk season, DE717, Oct. 8-22 for the northern part of Afognak. We're going to fly in with Andrews Air Service out of Kodiak. We've used them before & they are top notch. You might want to consider them. No! I don't work for them. I think you're gonna have a great trip. Good luck, Bear in Fairbanks

[ 07-28-2003, 07:41: Message edited by: Bear in Fairbanks ]

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congradulations, I hunted zachar bay last year for deer (wet). While you wait read the book The Last of The Great Brown Bear Men its all about red lake and olga bay in the early years. Greg

Posts: 71 | Location: north pole , alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also I can recondmend Harrys flying service out of kodiak, he has a widgon and can land you on water or land.

Posts: 71 | Location: north pole , alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank You!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] All!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll ask my Uncle what he knows about that area. He took an 11'6" Kodiak back in the 70's in that area when he was an assistant guide.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank's again guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a hunt to get excited about! [Eek!] [Big Grin] Good luck, take quality rain gear and footwear as you will need / use it - what rifle do you plan on using for this hunt? Good luck - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMuleinAK:
Now that is a hunt to get excited about! [Eek!] [Big Grin] Good luck, take quality rain gear and footwear as you will need / use it - what rifle do you plan on using for this hunt? Good luck - KMule

Either the .375 H&H Ackley or the .458 WM. The gortex & wool & xtra tuff's and Hip boots (aka Alaska tennis shoes) are already packed [Razz] [Big Grin]

Thank's

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your draw!

Now for goodness sakes, maintain some Alaskan dignity, and don't show up at the Kodiak airport dressed head to toe in camouflage! [Eek!]

I lived there for six years, and during bear hunting season a trip to the airport was always a barrel of laughs, watching the hunters get off the plane, ready to kill the brownie in the glass case. [Smile]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear layered fleece while hunting kodiak in the rain and a rain jacket if it was raining hard and felt that thats the way to go, fleece dries fast, light weight and keeps you warm when wet. AS for boots I wear my mendel sheep boots because of all the up and down climbing and I had hip waders if I needed them but never hunted in the flats to used them. Good luck and leave the gortex at home. Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a great bear story by Ross Seyfried that takes place in that area (I think):

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=159&magid=15

[ 08-15-2003, 22:45: Message edited by: Woodhits ]

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may not know it but you will be hunting in what is historicly one of the best brown bear areas in the world.Do yourself a favor and plan on hunting as long as you can.This is a chance of a lifetime.Onceyou see a 10in wide paw print in a muddy bear trail worn 2ft. deep from thousands of years of use, hunting will change for you for ever.
A great book for you to read is "Last of the great brown bear men",about Bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson.These two men hunted red lake along with karluk and frazer lakes.This book will tell you more about the area you will hunt this spring than any of us on this websight.
Good luck and good hunting.
Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I hunted Karluk Lake in the spring a about 10 years ago, and that was very special opportunity (I have not drawn since). You may want to consider going later in the season than would be the case in Karluk or Fraser Lake areas. The brownies den mostly in the mountains of those areas. While the boars may not necessarily den there, they will be chasing sows at that time of year, so will be where the sows are. I would think that after the hunters in the more mountainous areas have scared the bears out of their areas, or the sows have come out of the mountains looking for fresh veggies, you will see more bears out into the flats around Red Lake. Don't want to rain too much on your parade because any brown bear hunt on Kodiak is very special and there are plenty of bears to go around, but Red Lake is more of a traditional fall hunting area.
Check ADF&G website for special section on brown bear hunting on Kodiak, and you can get kill statistics for that area. Can't remember how detailed they are. You can also call the local ADF&G biologist, Van Dale(or something like that), for info.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank's again [Big Grin] [Big Grin]