Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Sheep Dilema
 Login/Join

<NV Guide>
posted
 -

On a hunt this last November I took this picture. The hunter wanted to take his ram with a bow. We had been hunting for 7 days with limited success. This ram is surrounded by 45 other sheep and is acting nervous.

My question is. What do you do?

1 Keep trying.

2 Tell him to get a gun.

3 Look for an easier ram.

4 Other

Dennis

Also what does he score?

[ 12-24-2002, 23:28: Message edited by: NV Guide ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats a easy one keep hunting as long as he's paying. Any bow hunter knows that it isn't easy. If he wanted to hunt with a rifle he would have.

Posts: 19604 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I do`t knowe a bout the schore, but there is one thing I knowe; time is probebly on his side! But if time is no problem for your client, hes bound to have a week spot. Ore a place he pases reglay.. Good luck

Caine

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post

[ 12-24-2002, 04:18: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Get a rifle.
 -

[ 12-24-2002, 04:17: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<NV Guide>
posted
 -

Here is another picture of the same ram. My answer to the hunter was that it was too personal a decision for me to make for him.

The dilema was really for the hunter and his heart. Would he be as happy with a rifle kill as a bow kill? Does the size of the animal have any bearing on the decision. What would you do?

Dennis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering how difficult those permits are I'd say option 2, pull out the thunder stick. But if archery was his weapon of choice and he can swallow the pill of not taking his sheep then more power to him. As a guide I'm sure it was hard to be so close yet so far. As far as score it's tough to tell from your pic but obviously a fine ram. I'd say in the 170's class.

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that I will ever be in that situation, but he would already have been shot if I was. [Smile]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
NV Guide,

Conservative estimate middle to high 160's. If your hunter can live with passing, he's paying the bill, pass. With the limited availability, as Keith stated, I'd take the rifle every time. You did a great job getting your client that close.

Joe

<NV Guide>
posted
 -

And another view.

This ram has 39" horns with 15"+ bases.
The pictures were taken at 600 yards with a Leica spotter and a digital camera held up to the eyepiece. The hunter struggled throughout the night without much sleep. In the morning he decided to try and shoot the ram with a rifle.

[ 12-24-2002, 06:09: Message edited by: NV Guide ]

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
and ... ???

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aww, c'mon. What a gyp! Did he get the ram?

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<NV Guide>
posted
 -

Gary, made a perfect 200yd shot through both lungs and anchored the ram within 10 feet. He used a Rem 700 in .243 with Nosler ballistic tips traveling at 3200fps.

This beautiful sheep green scored 180 6/8". Truely a once in a lifetime ram. As of the 2000 edition record book he is solidly in the top 10 for Nevada.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How does a guy get this type of opportunity, and how much does it cost? A good ram (bighorn, dall, stone) is my goal over the next few years.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NV Guide... I'll hand it to you, you really know how to tell a story! Thanks!

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
NV Guide,
I have enjoyed the unraveling of this story more than any post I ever saw on the web.
You are a story teller extrodinaire!!! Damn good guide too.
What a beautiful Ram!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW ! Besides the drop dead beautiful ram, that is some fabulous looking sheep range as well. I have noted all the grass in among the shrubs. No wonder he looks so good. Most of the desert sheep ranges I'm familar with don't look anywhere near that good. I'm sure I have not seen a ram that good either. Where did all this take place ? E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nevada, that was a great story. I love how you strung us along! [Smile] [Smile] The only spoiler was that damn Yankee hat in the last pic [Wink]

Have a Great Christmas Everyone !!

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DR: I drew a Bighorn permit for Wyoming in the 70's. I went with a bow, and I got within 20 yds. of several 3/4 curl rams, but I never saw what I wanted. I was determined to take mine with a bow; in that hunter's place I would have probably passed on the rifle shot. Of course I was in my 20's; little did I know I might never draw another tag. Actually the memories of that archery hunt are some of my best, even though I never shot a ram.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Well, my philosophy is this. The first rule of gunfighting is to bring a gun.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
NV Guide,

Man, what a ram!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That last picture sure shows him off. Great story, couldn't wait to check it out this afternoon(AK time). You, obviously, did a great job for this client. You should be as proud of that trophy as if you had taken it yourself.

Merry Christmas,

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear the ending of that story. Atcheson kind of pegged the score before any measurements were given. Those Atcheson boys are sheep hunters I tell ya!

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<NV Guide>
posted
Thanks for the accolades guys. That ram will always be a memorable animal for both the hunter and myself. I told him that I would never forget hunting with him or forget to brag about his ram.

Yes, this hunt took place in south central Nevada about 21/2 hours from my house. To try this yourself logon to NDOW and check out the applications for all the drawings. Then give me a call and together we'll pray for another miracle, hey it can happen.

This area has great habitat for sheep with the exception of water. That is why we have organizations like Nevada Bighorn Unlimited, to raise money and provide labor for sheep and their range.

thank for the time

<NV Guide>
posted
Refreshing for Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! I have never had sheep fever but you guys are giving me a disease I cannot afford to contract. [Big Grin] Guess, I'll start putting in for the tags and pray to draw.

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would first like to say that this was exciting reading and i would also like to add my two cents worth. I have been an avid bowhunter in Iowa for many years. I have taken several whitetail deer with a bow and many more with a gun and can say one thing for sure, bowhunting is far more rewarding than gun hunting. Even if i dont get anything with a bow, i feel very lucky just to get close to big deer.

I have been bitten severly by the sheep hunting bug. Ever since i first heard about it i have been itching to go. After many years of reading and research i have determined that it is very difficult to draw a tag for sheep and even more expensive to actually contract a hunt. At least being an out of state hunter the fees can be enormous for the average hunter and the odds of being on the mountain hunting sheep more than a couple times is slim to none, at least in my case.

In my opinion i think this hunt was executed great. Beings the client was a diehard bowhunter i would say he made a very valiant try at getting this fantastic sheep with a bow. But on the other hand, beings how difficult it is to draw a tag and the expense involved, i would say he made the right desicion in finally harvesting the sheep with a rifle. I know i sure wouldnt want to go home empty handed. When i finally do get on the mountain in search for monster sheep, i plan on using a rifle. While i do love bowhunting, i dont want to miss out on a chance at a enormous ram because i didnt have the proper weapon in my hand. I guess i would rather be safe than sorry, i guess thats just me.

Maybe someday when i have completed a Grand Slam, (god-willing!), i can go after another slam using just a bow and arrow. Now that would be a rewarding adventure! But thats just a dream i am sure!

Thanks again guys for the great story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That were some great pics and an even better story!!! Thank you very much.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote