New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's A Group To You?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a general question aimed towards hunters, not benchresters. This is an attempt to see what the average guy does to determine how a given rifle groups. Example of answers (but not limited to) would be: I shoot 3 shots in a short period, or I shoot one shot everyday for 5 days.

Please be honest here, Thanks

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)
If at first you don't succeed,,,failure may be your thing!!!

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Three in a row. As fast as you can aim and put them down range. NOT A RACE mind you just work the action aim and shoot. May take 20-30 seconds.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot 3 shots then make adjustments , off of sandbags , first shot seem's to really be important to me . After each adjustment I will shoot a 3shot group , to note any consistanty or inconsistanty . Nothing against 5 shot groups .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Big game bullets, 3 shots from the magazine in a short time. (How long it takes to work the bolt, get reset on the bag comfortably, etc.

Varmint bullets, 5 shots in the same time frame.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
49 views and only 3 replies, come on and play guys

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

Posts: 198 | Location: Yuma, Arizona | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot from a rest or from bags. I'm not allowed to participate. Were I allowed, I'd tell you I shoot five shots as fast as I can cycle a new round, reacquire the target in the scope, get back to the sight picture I had for the previous shot, get my mind focused and squeeze. Each shot after the first may take up to 60 seconds to complete.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just hunt. I shoot 3 "slow" shots from the bench for a group. Adjust the scope if needed, shoot 3 more (after the barrel has cooled), then I'm done. All my deer hunting is done from stands which allow a solid rest. I've shot all my elk with a rest against a tree or something. I even carry tall shooting sticks when squirrel hunting. I don't ever remember shooting at a big game animal "off-hand". Just fortunate I guess.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Just wondering why are so many of you shooting FAST? Most big game shots are from cold barels arent they?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three Mauser commercials. I reloaded until I got them down around 1.25" and the velocity I wanted and thought was safe. I used 1/2gn increments. I use sand bags and shoot three shot groups, not fast but not slow. I record most/many of my groups. Very few go above 1.5, some go under an inch. the best is around 6/10" I figure this is plenty good for a 7x57, 308, and 30-06 as my self imposed limit is around 300yds. I have thought about 'tweeking' these, by 1/10gn increments and adjusting OAL, to see if the groups improve. BTW, when my groups begin to open up(around 200rds), it's time to clean. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rootbeer, sorry if you felt excluded. Was certainly not my goal. Just trying to narrow the field to the average guy who hunts. Wasn't looking for someone who "only" shoots at the range. No offense meant to anyone.

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rootbeer:
I shoot from a rest or from bags. I'm not allowed to participate. ...
Hey Rootbeer, I personally know about 22-23 Deer Stands that have Sand Bags setting on w-i-d-e Rails. No need to feel excluded.

Hey Jason, It depends on which Stage of the shooting I'm in. When I first start Developing a Load, I prefer to use the never improved upon Creighton Audette Maehod. Individual shots at different Load Levels being shot into a single target.

Next series of Harmonic Confirmation shots are usually 3-shot groups.

Do some Practicing with the Developed Group and there may be 18 shots in that one.

Then a lot of "Cumulative 1-shot Groups" in a single Target to gain confidence the first shot from the cold, pristine clean and lightly lubed barrel goes where I think it is going to go.

Plinking around from Off-Hand, kneeling, sitting and some prone, all done with a Hasty Sling.
---

For me, the Off-Hand requires the most concentration, so I like to do a good bit of it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I shot three shot groups as fast as I cycle the bolt, I'm sure my group sizes will get a bunch larger. I like to practice offhand as fast as I can cycle the bolt, but bench practice is for load testing, so I shoot slow.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff! Good info!! Keep it coming!!!

./l ,[___],
l--L=OlllllO=
O_) O_)~-)_)

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Just wondering why are so many of you shooting FAST? Most big game shots are from cold barels arent they?

The first one is. Follow up shots are not. While the importance of follow up shots varies I want to know what my rifle is like.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot 3 rounds per group. I'll take my time and aim. But only let the barrel cool after 3 shots.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
5 rounds, spaced 2-3" before cool off.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Off a good rest I'll fire three shot groups at a comfortable pace to check the grouping then single shots from a cold barrel to bring the zero right.

Then Three shots to check the group again.

I'f I'm just playing then I might doo all sorts of things from sittting, prone or off sticks just for the practice. Although I don't practice as much as I should.

Rgds,

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My standard procedure after I have a load that I've developed and slowly shot it to know that it is accurate and cycles through the gun with no hiccups and all bugs worked out I give it a final test before hunting with it by setting up on sandbags at the range fire 3 shots pretty fast and as accurate as possible. I feel like this approximates actual hunting shots. If there is going to be a problem like stringing from three rapid shots I want to know now instead of when I need the gun most in a follow up shot situation. All of my sighting in for hunting rifles is done the same way.
After that then shoot the gun from as many positions as you would normally in a hunting situation, my favorite is from the sit with sling and thighs and elbows/forearms contacting. This is extremely stable and I've made dozens of shots on game this way. Dropped a buck this way at a bit over 350 yards and hit him exactly where I intended.
Remember a lot of the gymnastics you go through are not necessarily to test your rifle but to build your own confidience to the point where when the situation presents itself you react automatically and have no creeping doubts in your mind. Instead of the last thought before you pull the trigger " I hope my scope is still on from last season", make your last thought be focusing on the intended target and making that shot with out a single doubt in your mind. Confidence if founded in fact is what makes things happen.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
My standard procedure after I have a load that I've developed and slowly shot it to know that it is accurate and cycles through the gun with no hiccups and all bugs worked out I give it a final test before hunting with it by setting up on sandbags at the range fire 3 shots pretty fast and as accurate as possible. I feel like this approximates actual hunting shots. If there is going to be a problem like stringing from three rapid shots I want to know now instead of when I need the gun most in a follow up shot situation. All of my sighting in for hunting rifles is done the same way.
After that then shoot the gun from as many positions as you would normally in a hunting situation, my favorite is from the sit with sling and thighs and elbows/forearms contacting. This is extremely stable and I've made dozens of shots on game this way. Dropped a buck this way at a bit over 350 yards and hit him exactly where I intended.
Remember a lot of the gymnastics you go through are not necessarily to test your rifle but to build your own confidience to the point where when the situation presents itself you react automatically and have no creeping doubts in your mind. Instead of the last thought before you pull the trigger " I hope my scope is still on from last season", make your last thought be focusing on the intended target and making that shot with out a single doubt in your mind. Confidence if founded in fact is what makes things happen.

Good Post!

I'm not much different in that I shoot three shot groups for big game rifles, from a solid rest when testing. To me the first shot going exactly where I want it to is most important. I have guns that will shoot the first shots the same as the later ones, but I also have rifles that need to be fired a few times to get them dirty before they'll shoot.

I basically am looking for that point where my first three to five shots will group about an inch or so. It has to be consistant, even if the group is 1.5" it's ok as long as I know what to expect. I will also admit that it gets harder to take out a rifle thats shooting 1.5" groups, when I have one shooting half that, that's just as capable. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is interesting. I only have a few big game rifles anymore and quit reloading some time ago but when testing ammo for the best suited for each gun it is done in three shot groups until dialed in. Now off the bench in perfect conditions most will do under 1" and some under 1/2". As others have stated some need a couple rounds down the tube before settling down. Each and every gun has its little quirks. I seldom go to the local range with under 20 guns, I like to shoot and this is a 1000 yrd range so lots of fun to be had.

Now the varmit rigs are much differant. I start out with 5 shot groups and let cool while shooting another then back to check the dial in. Once these are dialed in at the selected range, I may fire 20-30 or more rounds at one target, just keep punchin little holes or until I get a flyer.
I am in a testing mode right now on my CS Composite in 223 to see how many rounds I can shoot before it starts to heat up or the groups start to open up

I guess you could say each range trip is done a bit differant with no set standard, just depends upon my mood and what I want to prove that day.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use three shot groups when shooting my Magnum rifles and five shot groups with the standard chamberings. I take several rifles when I shoot, wait at least one minute between shots, then shoot another rifle while the last one shot cools down. My barrels last several thousand rounds before replacement that way. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot 3 shot groups waiting until the barrel cools to the touch before I fire the next round. The first group may only take a minute then the following groups may take 5 minutes depending on the weather. Sometimes in the hot summer it takes me about 15-20 minutes to fire a group.

When you hunt 99.9% of the time you'll be firing from a cold barrel so, I try to make my rifle and loads consistent in that state.

Same w/ my MLers, I always clean the barrel when testing different bullets and charges because when I'm in the field my bbl is clean and cold.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like five shot groups, because when they are good they tend to be more repeatable. Three shots tight can more easily be luck (or chance). I take about 4 guns and shoot one through each then back to the first and so on as to keep barrels cool.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
My rifles are all better shots than I am...all have shot/will shoot less than 1" 3 shot groups at 100 yds...average group for each rifle is about 1.25". I don't shoot over 250 yds because it's too much fun to get closer!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote