New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado 3rd season buck.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The annual third season deer and elk camp took place this last week and I got to hang with my good friends that I’ve met through AR, Snellstrom his son and two brothers, Graybird and his father, and Ted Thorn. This was the first year for Ted to come to our camp, and can tell you that you’ll be hard pressed to meet a nicer guy. I just hope that our style of hunting doesn’t run him off, as we were unable to get him on an elk to fill his cow tag. Plus Ted was first to offer to pack out a hindquarter from Snell’s brothers cow from a very steep ravine on the first day.

I managed to take a four point on Friday morning. Graybird got me on this buck, while I was attempting my first run at him he disappeared while I didn’t have a visual on him. GB had watched him move higher and bed down in some trees he then moved up and joined me on the ridge, and without his help I’d never been able to seal the deal on him. The whole stalk went down in the most boring ever watched history books according to all the spectators as it took almost three hours to complete after GB joined me.

Hunting with good friends is always a successful hunt regardless of how many animals you bring home.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats again!

Like I said on the mountain, I feel like I took several animals on this hunt, even though I only took one shot.

Well done and a great way to end a perfect stalk regardless of what the peanut gallery says!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures and nice buck Taylorce!
After watching the stalk unfold from a distant vantage point I'm not sure who was happier to finally hear the the shot,
you or us spectatorsBig Grin.
Good shooting and yes its always a successful hunt when you hunt with good people.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I just pulled into southern Missouri tonight guys.

WOW! 2600 miles solo is a ton of saddle time and I'm glad to be home.

I had a blast hunting with you guys and hope you all don't think any lesser of me now that you spent some time together.

Yep I sucked at mountain hunting but never in my life laid eyes on such a beautiful landscape and was just amazed at the size of this new playground.

I was a bit more "at home" back in Missouri and got some trigger time on a small pile of doe and a money saver buck.....he's no wall hanger so no taxidermy money spent.

The meals, good times and laughs we all shared will last a lifetime.

The lessons taught to me by Rick on trees and rocks Wink thanks buddy I'll pass it along. Your a hoot!

The chase Cody took Chad and I on was fun to look back on but was far tougher than most on this forum will understand. Climbing up and down those mountains is very hard work for sure. Chasing elk is even tougher....you all have my respect.

Dave, thanks for the invite and the hospitality you sir are one in a million....thank you.

Just a nice view from way up top

Packing out some of Ricks cow up a fairly steep hillside

WOW this is a big rub

My money saver Missouri buck.......no taxidermy requierd

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Is that pine bark beetle or fire damage.

Gonna be some nice browse and grazing there in a few years if the seeds are still around.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Ted,

I had a blast hunting with you too. I wish we could have connected on the elk we chased all over that damn hillside. I truly feel you guys would have made the shot had the wind not been blowing 20+ mph. And, given the fact they were 400 yards away, I can understand the hesitation. Had I known what the rest of the week would have held, we would have went after them that afternoon up into the boulders.

I love the picture of you packing out the elk with us still down below. Sometimes pictures don't do steep justice. That hill was at the verge of being called a cliff! I spoke with a guy later after you left and he mentioned he saw us packing that elk out of that canyon and said he had never seen anyone bring an animal out of that area. In his words, "You guys are some crazy sumbitches!" I had fun getting on those elk and the rodeo that transpired prior to us getting on them without the help of the game warden.

Wish you would have stayed for the wind on Saturday. They said it was blowing over 100 mph up in the mountains. Your cot ended up upside down in the middle of the tent! When it was all said and done, we only had a couple support poles still standing come morning. I was contemplating sleeping in the truck! It was the worst night I think I've ever spent on the mountain!!!!!

I hope you will join us again in the future my friend!!! Maybe we can take you on one of those couple mile death marches to pack out a critter!!!

By the way, congrats on the Mizzou deer. Always nice to thin the herd a bit! Congrats!!!

Hope to share a camp with you again soon!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Good looking deer, much better seeing a bigger picture than what I could see on my crappy phone.

Great looking pictures especailly that rub! Wink Thanks for coming out and sharing the experience, I wish we could have connected on those across the canyon elk as well. Your pack frame would have got plenty of use if we had. Sure happy you showed up to pack out that elk quarter so I didn't have to!

I think I speak for the rest of the guys when I say come back to camp anytime.

taylorce1