New
Find
Notify
Tools

best 35 Whelen bullets for big game?
 Login/Join

<samNella>
posted
Had good performance this year from a 250gr. Rem factory load (35 Whelen) on a smallish elk. Now I'm reloading, and I'm looking for recommendations on better bullet choices, primarily for elk. Specifically, has anyone compared the performance of the 280gr $wift, the 250gr Hornady RN or spire pt, and 225gr or 250gr Nosler Partitions? Are there other options I should consider?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a Barns "X" fan, they have accounted for 10+ moose for me. Although I do not feel that the 35 whellen's velositys require an "X" bullet they shoot very accuritly out of my guns in all weights. One bullet I think I am going to try this year out of the 35 Whelen is the Speer 250 Grand Slam. They shoot accuratly from my guns also. I have not used them on game yet though. My guns do not like the partition. the best I have got them to shoot is 2.5". MOA of moose but unacceptable for me.
Paul H is a big fan of the 35 Whellen also and mabby he will have some input into the different bullets you have enquired about.

[This message has been edited by 35nut (edited 01-03-2002).]

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
samNella -- I have shot them all, Barnes X and XLC, Nosler Partition and Partition Gold, Swift A-Frame, North Fork. I have hunted Elk, Caribou, Moose, Brown Bear. They all will perform well, the question is, which is most accurate in your rifle. Lately the North Fork is the toughest, most consistently accurate I am shooting. It seems easier to get that accuracy I demand of a hunting bullet, particularly with my .358 STA. They make a 225 gr. and 250 gr. bullet, and are soon to make a 270 gr. bullet. Good shooting.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2000 I shot elk with both the 200 X bullet and 250 GS with similar results from my 35 Whelen. I seem to get better penetration with the 200 X than it's SD should indicate, so I have started using it exclusively. I have taken several elk, deer, and a Nilgai with the 200 X.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FYI: If I remember correctly, I believe I read somewhere recently that Barnes is discontinuing the 200gr .358" X bullet due to lack of demand. That the leaves 180 gr, 225 gr and the 250 gr. Also, the 200gr is not listed in the new Barnes #3 manual.

-Bob F.

[This message has been edited by BFaucett (edited 01-03-2002).]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 250 gr a-frame out of my 35 whelen ackley. Unfortunately I have yet to use it on game I think you should be pretty well pleased with any of the 250 gr offerings in the std whelen chamber. I'm getting 2700 fps out of the ackley, so feel a premium is needed.

The 250 a-frame is plenty accurate, same with the 250 hornady spitzer. I'll be doing some more load work with the 250 speer and 250 hornady rn this spring.

I wouldn't recomend the 280 gr a-frame for the whelen, I don't think you will get high enough velocities to take advantage of the bullet, it is better suited to the 358 norma or 358 STA.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 225 gr Nosler Partition and 61 grains of RL15 for 2750 fps out of a 23" Douglas barrel. This load produced a one-shot kill on the last moose I collected with this rifle.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
<monz>
posted
Try Woodleigh Weldcore. I think they have a 250 grainer and i know they have a 310 grain S.N and FMJ.
I use the Woodleigh S.N in one of my 9,3x62 rifles and they�re damn good...

<samNella>
posted
phurley -- where can I find more info about the North Fork? What sort of construction? How much are they?

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Sam -- I think Jon's post said all that can be said for the North Fork. I started using them after hearing Atkinson talk about them. I have used them through my .340 Wby and .358 STA. I have been able to get one hole or near one hole groups with every size North Fork bullet I have shot so far. I really like the way they seat also. The rear portion is all solid with a lead core in the front portion. Good luck and good shooting.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
BobF: That's too bad that Barnes is going to stop producing the 200X. Well, I've got enough to last a few more years.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
I have been having great luck with the 225 grain Trophy Bonded in the .35 Whelen. I do not handload, so have been using the Federal load. I get 2630 fps from my 22 inch barrel. Everything that I have shot with that load has been a one shot kill. This ranges in size from a 25 lb steenbok to 1800 lb eland.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Duckster, et, al. Can you recommend some loads for the 35 Wheelen in 25or 20gr loads? when i get back from deployment i plan to take my 35 for black bear. I'm new to this caliber and would appreciate some help. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
samNella,

I've been weel satisfied with 250 Nosler Partitions in my .35 Whelen. I've used it for Montana elk in 2000. I had to bail off my horse and hurry a 75 yard shot at a 5x5. He went down in a heap with a broken neck. A .243 would have probaly given the same results. This fall in Newfoundland I put 3 shots in a bull moose at app. 175 yards. All trhee were close together and a bit far back (running broadside). All three exited the far side. Only a small piece of the front of one of the bullets was found under the hide on the off side. 58.5 grs of RL 15
in Rem. brass w/WLRP's gives an average of 2,525 fps in my 22 inch barrel.
Rich Elliott

------------------
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote