bear bate
 Login/Join

<kromer>
posted
what do you use and what do you think about using donoughts, yes dounoughts

one of us
posted Hide Post
I head ded horbly stank beever woks goud. OOPS
I heard dead horribly stank beaver works good.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Old pastry from the local bakery works extremely well. A good horse bait may be better in pulling them in, initially, but pastries do a great job of keeping their interest.

[ 10-03-2002, 14:58: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
2 PETA members with Bear bell,and pepper spray.if that dosen't work try Sweets for bakery.

Doc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bacon grease, an oldie but a goodie for bear bait.

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<ralphbeagle>
posted
I've had great success by putting some Liquid Smoke (at the grocery store by the A1, Worcestershire, etc. sauces) in a spray bottle and then spraying it all around where I'm baiting (other than within 30 feet of where I plan on sitting). It can also be used to make a trail to the bait, but I've never had a problem getting them to come in. Get the scent as high as possible so that it is airborn. If it was legal (and in Michigan it is NOT), I would soak a piece of foam rubber and then suspend it about 20 feet in the air. Once they're coming in, I use old bread, dog food, horse feed, or whatever I can get cheap, with molasses (spelling?) poured on it I get animal-feed grade molasses at the local feed store. As I recall, it as about $10.00 for about a 5 gallon pail. The biggest problem most folks around here (Michigan's UP) seem to have is getting them to come in during shooting hours; getting them to hit the bait is usually pretty easy. If you can, it might be best to bait in the mornings.

<ovis>
posted
Popcorn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Try walking around the woods where you intend to hunt, hanging strips of raw bacon or rancid chicken strips from saplings about 4-5 feet off the ground.
This works REALLY good.

You might also try a Honey burn. dig a small hole large enough for a tuna can and one a tea lite candle. fill can about 1/2 way with honey, prop up on a couple rocks with the candle under it.

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How's about some lawyers/politicians/and gun writers. Just a thought-some of the gun writers are worth saving-a lot of them though?

OK OK so I am feeling a bit feisty this morn.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark I think the intent is to attrack the bears not send them packing for another country;-)

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, especially that "lawyers, politicians" thing. Are you trying to poisen these poor bears? "Oh, the horror, the horror!". LOL - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a 55 gal barrel, punch lots of holes in the bottom, chain, nail and wire it tightly to a tree about 7" up. Fill it up with dead animals like sheep or goats, Lots of carp or trash fish, add oil of anise, toss about anything in with it and let it melt and drip. Keep a lid on it...you will get a bear

Donuts and a burlap bag of jelly beans work well but a bear can clean that stuff up pretty fast and be gone....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote