THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Ruger "Deerfield "44mag.carbine

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger "Deerfield "44mag.carbine
 Login/Join

<Wyatt Sanders>
posted
Does anyone have any experience with these ?if so,was it good or bad?Thanks,Wyatt

<mildot>
posted
Speaking from my own limited experience with these handy little carbines, Mine was reliable, a little slow to reload (why they did'nt upsize their fabulous spool magazine I'll never know) And was suitable for deer sized game out to 100 yards depending on how much luck you have finding a load that delivers accuracy AND reliable extraction, feeding. Mine could only average 4"-8" 100 yard 3 shot groups..this was using an old Weaver 1.5-4x with straight objective and a decent rest...handled like a good grouse gun in the field and if you have good(young!) eyes, I recommend a Williams peep sight..clean and oil 'er up regularly and it's tough enough. I let mine slide away years ago, but would like to have it back to try some of my buddy's 300gr hornady xtp bullet in front of a healthy charge of 110 or 2400....it has "healed" several .44 mags with accuracy problems. Revolvers and carbines...Sorry I can't be more help...Mildot

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother had one a sold it shortly after his purchase. During one session at the range the rifle failed to fire. Upon inspection it had jammed and the bolt had only closed about half way. However, the firing pin fell and barely dent the primer. Scared the heck out of him. We messed with it some and noticed that the firing pin would fall with the bolt half closed everytime. He then took it to a gunsmith and he said there was nothing to worry about unless the primers he was using were very sensitive. Ha! Ha! Not satisfied with this he contacted Ruger and they weren't much help.

We didn't know if this was normal or not for that particular weapon but he felt the same as I about it. If the bolt is not fully closed the firing pin shouldn't fall!

I have a M77 in 44 mag and love it. I use to own one of the old 44 mag auto's and sold it. I was planning on buy one of the new ones until my brothers experience.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyatt My first deer rifle was an the original Ruger 44 Mag carbine. Because of the slow [ 1 in 38 inch] twist it did not shoot very accurate past @ 80 to 100yds. My longest kill was 125 yards however. I shot the rifle quite a lot, first with factory 240 gr. then with 240 gr. reloads, 2400 and H-110 [this was a long time ago and "heavy 44 mag bullets were not on vogue yet]. I never had any problems with this rifle and let my brother-in-law talk me out of it. [Frown] I have had a Marlin lever and now have a Winchester 44 mag rifle. They are very handy and hit hard out to at least to 125 yards. The Speer 270 gold dot shoots good in my revolvers and in the Winchester. If I was buying a new 44 Mag rifle I would try to find one with a 1 in 20 twist. I think the new Marlin cowboy levers are 1 in 20, but I am not sure, they also have "ballard" rifleing which is better then microgroove for cast bullets.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on the above experience with primer marking, except to say that the owners manual (Deerfield) states that the firing pin cannot be struck by the hammer unless the bolt is fully locked.

My Deerfield is a great handling carbine. It gives 4" groups at 100 with the supplied folding peep. That's with me at the trigger and Win. 240 grain white box ammo.
The rifle feeds perfectly so far.

Sounds like something Ruger needs to look into. Alot of pumps and autos mark primers, but that's not to say it's a great confidence builder.
When I get a chance I'll dig up my manual and post exactly what is stated about the firing pin design.

[ 07-31-2002, 12:56: Message edited by: swampfox ]

Posts: 128 | Location: East Central NC, USA | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
gee, i hope your ruger is one in a million, cause my hunt'n buddy just bought a new .44 ruger semi. I hunted for 33year's with my old ruger .44 semi. and wouldn't trade it for nothing. unless mr. ruger come's out with his new .480 chambered in the new auto.have shot both deer and moose with mine and i am very impressed with it. as far as distance, i watched my buddy shoot a cow moose at 119 pace's, and a other buddy shoot a cow moose at over 250 pace's.(the bullet on that one went rite between 2 rib's i am sure if it had hit a rib it would have bounced off 'at that distance) the only problem i have had with mine is, in freezing weather you have to make sure action is clean, especially the power piston.any one else had problem's with the new ruger, i'm sure my buddy would like to here about it. thank's ,Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
I have�nt had any experience with the semi-ruger but I have used the Ruger 77/44 bolt-action carbine extensively on beaver and other varmints. The effect is spectacular but my rifle was extremely hard to find good loads for, and accuracy was a rare and seldom seen phenomena in the little Ruger. I finally traded it for a Remington 870 scattergun, wich, as far I see it, will produce about the same level of accuracy...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Marlin 1894p .44 rem mag with ported 16 1/4" barrel. It kills very well and is a real suprise packet, I use it for chasing stuff from the back of the ute. I have it mounted with a pdp6 tasco pro point. It feeds all my reloads well and shoots well considering the sight set up.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote