THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    145Grn Speer SP vs. 154 Grn Hornady Round Nose

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

145Grn Speer SP vs. 154 Grn Hornady Round Nose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
I've got a Rem 700 Mtn LSS in 7mm-08. Over the summer I developed 5 loads which all shoot MOA or better in my gun. I posted a poll on the "Reloading" forum and narrowed it down to two. The 145 Grn Speer SP (HotCor) and the 154 Grn Hornady Round Nose.

I hunt the mountians of NW Arkansas primarilly for whitetails, although black bear and big hogs are a possibility. All shots would be under 300 Yds. (My personal limit) I also use a Burris scope w/ Ballistic Plex reticle which I've caliberated for both these rounds, so trajectory is not at issue here.

I am particularly interested in hearing about "on game" performance, regardless of caliber, of these two bullets. So please share your preference / recommendation, caliber used, and the "on game" results you have experienced.

Thanks a bunch!

firstshot
----------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Choices:
145Grn Speer SP (HotCor) @ 2,830 FPS & 0.561" Grps @ 100 Yds
154Grn Hdy RN @ 2,736 FPS & 0.586" Grps @ 100 Yds

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses!

Well, I think I'm going to load up some of both and keep both with me when hunting. I'll probably keep the 145 Speers SPts loaded up most of the time and expecially when longer shots are a posibility. When "woods" hunting where shots would be 150 Yds or less, I'll load up the 154 Hdy RN.

That way I'll have the best of both worlds.

firstshot
---------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote