Find
Notify
Tools

My Son's First Bow Kill
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted
I am not nor have ever been a bow hunter, but my youngest son has gotten into it. He has been shooting religiously and is fairly good, but I really did't have much faith in him making a kill on the first day of season. Boy was I surprised!

He was hunting on our place which is 700 acres and is only a 4 wheeler ride from our house. Yesterday morning, we both went out, and I got busted in a ground blind. He saw a couple of deer but didn't get a shot.
He went back out about 3:30, and when he came home at dark tell me he killed a doe, I accused him a lying. He assured me that he wasn't, and the deer was at my parents barn on the opposite side of the place. Sure enough, he killed a fat, young doe.
Jake is 14 and has killed SEVERAL deer with a rifle, but this was his first outing with his hand me down Onieda bow. I am a little proud.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and him both! What a great way to get started and he is choosing his own way, with the bow and all. Good for him! clap Don't be a little proud! Be very,very proud of him!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you!!!!

You should be proud!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Stuff! The proximity to game with archery equipment really gets the adrenaline pumping.

It will hone your hunting skills well!

Good on both of ya!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jeff-

You have every right to be proud!!!

Congrats to your son on his first archery deer kill and to you for instilling in him an appreciation for the great outdoors -- and for involving him in hunting at an early age. thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You should be proud, Jeff! Congratulations! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
There's a young man to be damned proud of! Congratulations to you both.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Jake has accomplished a dificult task which I am sure he assigned himself! Congratulations to the young man. (& Proud Father.)

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jake, Congratulations on a fine Kill. Looks like the Onieda will do great for you.

Hey Jeff, Looks like you have instilled the correct spirit in him very well. Congratulations to you too. Great flick.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to both. I helped my grandson kill his first deer with a rifle last year. I was as excited about his great shot as he was. You have every right to be proud. We have to pass along our hunting legacy to our kids and grandkids. I suspect they'll have a fight on their hands to keep hunting a sport open to all.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to really be proud of him because he shot the hardest animal to get a shot at. You don't get away with any bad moves when a doe is close.
That is super for a first time archer.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake, Congratulations on a great kill. Jeff, looks like you have instilled the correct spirit in him very well. Congratulations to both of you.
I remember well how I felt when my two boys made their first kills and there is nothing like it.

Posts: 144 | Location: East MS | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote