Find
Notify
Tools

Texas man nabbed for poaching!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:57 AM MDT

GREEN RIVER -- Investigators say local sportsmen in the Kemmerer area in southwest Wyoming helped locate and convict a Texas man who admitted to trying to poach a mule deer earlier this month.

Wyoming Game and Fish Department spokeswoman Lucy Wold said Micah S. Morales, 30, of Jasper, pleaded guilty in Lincoln County Circuit Court on April 16 to shooting twice at a mule deer with his .22 rifle from his vehicle.

The poaching attempt occurred on the evening of April 9 alongside Highway 189 south of Kemmerer.

Wold said Morales, a contract worker for Total Western, was in the area working on a boiler overhaul at the Naughton Power Plant at the time of the shooting.

Game Warden Andrew Countryman said the case was solved with the cooperation of local sportsmen and wildlife officers.

He said wardens were alerted to the case after a sportsman reported seeing the incident.

Countryman said Morales was with another contract worker at the time of the shooting. Wardens interviewed the worker, who admitted he was with Morales and another employee when the incident occurred.

The co-workers told wardens he was confident Morales had hit at least one deer, but no carcass was found at the site by searchers a week later.

Morales was charged with attempting to hunt/kill wildlife from a highway and wanton destruction of big game. He was ordered to pay a $5,060 fine, to serve 12 days in jail and he had his hunting/fishing privileges in Wyoming and 31 other states revoked for nine years.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Glad they got him... thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HaHaHa....Hehehehe...

Sorry! I can't help but find this funny.

What an Idiot! Maybe he'll learn something from this experience. Like maybe "DON'T DO IT AGAIN".

Posts: 124 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
+1 on Bobby Tomeck's sentiment, but it does not surprise me, there are still plenty of folks in this country, Not Just Texans Either, that would have tried the same stunt.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I'm glad the concerned sportsman thought enough to pick up the phone and report it.

I sure wish we had judges here in NY that treated wildlife offenses like they did in this Wyoming case. That fine, jail time and lengthy license revocation has some real deterrent value to it.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish they'd ream people like this in GA too.... fines are light, jail time rare, and there's no real deterrent value.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when good COs do their job! I once called in a pair of poached pronghorn remains that I found in Utah. The CO actually said, "how do you know they were poached". My response: "You're right....the loving couple must have been very emotionally attached to die together that way".

rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the fine/penaltiy was about right to. The state has attempted legislation to confiscate vehicles and firearms, but have steered away from going that far.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Australia this type of thing happens 3 times a day and most people could not give two hoots about it.

A hunter running to a warden and spilling the beans about someone else would most probably be considered worse to many than the original offence.

Thats just the way it is here I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to stir the pot, but a lot of how the situation is handled in probably most states, is in direct proportion to where the animal ranks in the individual states priority list.

With the higher ranked species garnering more attention than lower ranked species. JMO.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Futrdoc:
I wish they'd ream people like this in GA too.... fines are light, jail time rare, and there's no real deterrent value.

Most places outside of the west are too lenient.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did they get his hunting privileges revoked in nine other state?
Confiscating the guns sounds like a good idea to me. Better if the law lets them be sold at auction dancing

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How did they get his hunting privileges revoked in nine other state?

Years ago states started to sign a pact to reciprocate violations and carry the punishment to all who belong to the pact. And it was 31 other states for nine years!

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Ohio has a good summary and links to the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact for those who are interested:

Ohio DNR Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact Link

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys know why he didn't try this in Texas don't you. Most of Texas is private property and if you get caught poaching by the property owner you might just get your ass shot!

Seeing how everything on a landowners property is considered "property" , The land owner could just say that he was protecting his property from a person who was trespassing.

Posts: 124 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 20 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
txhunter77, I believe if you will check into it, Texas is a member of that compact now.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Texas is not in, nor is much of the Northeast.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
Texas is not in, nor is much of the Northeast.

well im kinda glad to see that

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologies, I thought that Texas had joined, sorry to see that they haven't.

Crusher, why do you feel that Texas should not join?

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
I am curious too, Crusher.

I would think the more states involved, the greater the deterrent. And does any state really want convicted poachers from other states coming in to hunt?

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote