New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aoudad hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for a free range Aoudad hunt, on a large ranch. I have come across two outfitters that seam to offer the type of hunt I want. Has anybody hunted with South West Trophy Hunts or Boss ranch? any other outfitters? I am also willing to trade a fully guided alaskan salmon and halibut fishing trip for 4 fishermen.

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner and I are looking into the same thing. Up until now the only ones I have been close to was on a bowhunting ranch around Sequin, Texas a few years back. A friend of ours in Texas that has won numerous awards for mounts, and who has managed some of the best taxidermy shops recommended the Boss Ranch. At 24000 acres, it really would be large enough to satisfy us that they were elusive, but the numbers of animals they quote make it seem too good to be true. Most quotes seem to be in the $3000-4000 range for 1x1 trophy hunts. I know the website is impressive, and we are looking forward to more info. The other option is to draw a tag somewhere, or look at lesser known smaller ranches that might be a little cheaper.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blank, Robert,

You can buy an over the counter tag in New Mexico for barbary sheep. I've hunted them in the gaudalupes down south and in the Canadian river gorge up north. All on public land.

The reason I am mentioning this is to try and keep you from doing it if you happen to hear about it from someone else.

The hunting is poor due to low population and very scattered herds and their is no shortage of hunters either.

There are a couple of places in NM that offer private land hunts on non high fenced places. Theyhave better populations of brabary sheep but I don't really knopw how good it is. They were charging about $2000 last time I checked.

If you are interested you could probably contact the NM game and fish they might have some info on ranches that have barbary available.

For the money you'll have to spend to self outfitt in NM I'd go guided on private land in TX.

I hope that helps a little bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SS - Thanks for that info. I know we were gonna look into that.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bubba Glosson has the BEST free ranging aoudad hunt hands down. His attention to detail is second to none and the ranches he hunts in west Texas are amazing. I have numerous friends that have hunted with him and all have great things to say. I will be more than happy to provide you with their numbers if you like.

As for the ranch over by Sequin, it would be a good hunt and would be fun but I think that you would be missing out on the sheep hunting experience by not being up in the mountains with them. My G-pa has a ranch about 30 min from sequin and I guided on two rams that were in the top 5 at one time, both over 36" but if I had to pick I would take a smaller free ranging ram up in the mountains. It would be a lot more fun, I can guarantee that. Feel free to email me at huntsonora@comcast.net if you want those numbers.

DTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drum: Thanks for the heads up. I did look up Bubba's website and copied all the info. It sounds like exactly what we are looking for in a hunt. Will contact him, and discuss specifics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another one to consider is Darrel York in the Davis Mountains of Texas, his prices are around $2800 for a free ranging aoudad hunt.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
I appreciate the info on public hunting in New Mexico. I was really wondering about those over the counter tags. I am curious if you're acquainted with the areas west of Albequerque? and north of the interstae before you get to the reservation? Seems like that might be real interesting country to hunt.
I wouldn't need too much of an excuse to get into the Guadalupes. I spent part of one summer a long time ago in there. Fantastic country. Scenery, wildlife, caves, indian stuff, old west, WOW! It's where I learned to shoot a .22 rifle and drive a jeep at the ripe old age of around 11 or so. But no sheep, you say?

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckster
Thanks for the information on Darrel York. $2800 is closer to what I would like to pay. I will email him and see what he has to offer.
Thanks again Robert

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Darrel about 20 years ago. You will hunt! BTW, if it hasen't changed, take flip-flops for the shower. capt david troll

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a real hunt, I don't care at all about accommodations or food.Hopefully Darnel will email me with information on his hunts.
Thanks

Robert Johnson