THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    HandGund Hunting, Minimum Cal., Minumum Load, Best Cal. and Distance for Mule Deer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HandGund Hunting, Minimum Cal., Minumum Load, Best Cal. and Distance for Mule Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lets see where this leads, There are probably as many answers as questions regarding Handgun Hunting for Mule Deer. Let me see if I can limit this a little. What is the Minimum calibur, .41 mag.?, Maximum Distance, 100 yrds., Best bullets, Open sights or Scopes? I guess, In general, If you were going to get started handgun hunting for Deer, Something in a mid-price range. What would you start with. I do reload and am familiar with handguns. I do carry concealed. So have at it. Suggest away............. Thanks

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Cool, a .41mag would be a solid choice, especially w/ the old style Speer 220grSWCSP. Ruger has a Bisely Hunter version. The .44mag of course & the .45colt. You can go up to a .454 or .480 but not really needed for deer & hogs. I limit my revolvers to this side of 75yds. THe TC out to 200 if I have a good rest. The TC is an obvious choice if you want to shoot out to 250yds or so.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .357 Mag with hornady 140 XTP's, has worked fine for me. I have a buddy who uses his 45lc (factory loads) on deer all the time, out to 60 yards or so. Thier just not that tuff to kill.

Thanks, Mark G
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deer are easy to kill – lots of people use a 10mm but that’s the low end. A 210 Keith or LBT bullet in the 41 would be fine. You could use a 180 in a scoped revolver if you push it fast and practice. Max range is where you can hit things. A scope stretch that some. I prefer irons because I hunt in very thick brush.

Before you go any farther, read John Linebaugh’s Gun Notes at sixgunner.com. He hunts deer with a S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, using a 250-gr. bullet at about 900 fps. At that level, a S&W will last forever, but if you shoot hot loads, you’d be better off with a Ruger. Used ones are cheap this time of year, and they all need trigger work. If this gun if only a hunter, get a 7.5" barrel.

Good luck.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
okie john -- when you say that people use a 10mm on the low end, are there 10mm hunting style bullets that are ok to use for deer. I don't know about your regulations, but we must have a round that develops a least 500 ft/lbs at the muzzle. If you are going to hunt elk you must have a load that develops 500 ft/lbs at 100 yrds.. It must also be larger than .24 cal. That would be pushing it for my 40S&W, probably not for a 10mm. I do have a Taurus 357 6" barrel that would be legal but only just. I think that a 125gr loaded to about 1400fps only puts out about 525 ft/lbs. (don't hold me to those figures, I'm taking them off my head) thats just above minimum for Mule deer in Utah and I don't think I could get the 357 hot enough to meet the 100 yrd requirment for elk.
Thanks I'll read the John Linebaugh article. I'll take a look at the Smiths and Rugers too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never hunted muleys, only whitetails. IMO the 41 mag is minimum. Not much difference betweem .410 and .429 inch bullets.

I use 300 gr Hornady XTP's in S&W 629 6" 44mag powerport w\ Burris 2x7 scope, and Taurus Raging Bull 6" 45Colt using hot loads meant for Rugers and Anacondas. No difference in killing power between them. I always carry the open sights if I know of inclement weather coming.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2 -- Do you have and problems with recoil using the Raging Bull? I once had a Thompson/Contender in the 44mag cal. It would turn the area between my thumb and fingers black and blue after a couple of rounds, the barrel had a choke that screwed into the end of the barrel along with a muzzle break. The trigger was horrible too. I think I might try the 45LC. The sixgun sounds like alot of fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize it, but I should probably move this post to the Handgun Hunting section, I hadn't seen it, Thanks, everyone

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the 357 came out Doug Wesson hunted North American big game with it, including bear, elk and moose. You can also cross the Atlantic in a rowboat, but that doesn't make either one a good idea. While you're at sixgunner, read Paco Kelly's article on the 357 in heavy-frame guns. If you insist on using a 357 on game, he's your man.

If I had to hunt deer with a 10mm, I'd load a 180-gr cast LFN as hot as I could. If I had to use a jacketed bullet, I search threads here and see what folks recommend. If I had to use factory ammo, I'd use either a 180-gr. Federal HydraShok or CorBon's hottest, heaviest load. I'd put the first bullet into the lungs from as close as I could get, and I'd shoot until the deer went down.

Your 41 still sounds like a lot better choice.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Cool, the big Glock in 10mm has found a following among deer hunters, accuracy is good out to about 50yds max. though. If you want to use your .357mag for deer, keep your shots under 50yds & use a hot 158-170gr JHP. With ahndguns it's about the penetration. I still like .41mag & up for deer, for elk, you really need .44mag & up.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have any problems with recoil using the Raging Bull?

None at all. It has the factory 8 drilled ports that keep down the muzzle flip and I always use a 2-handed grip. They are soft rubber with finger grooves but not the 'ribber' grip like some other of their revolvers.

Mine is a 6 shooter. All other big bore RB's are 5 shooters.
It might be a rare bird as it has not been listed in their catalog for years. I've never seen another. Shooting Times had a 2 page center spread a few years ago showing all the RB's different styles, calibers, barrel lengths etc. Mine was not included. I wrote Sheriff Jim Wilson a letter asking why mine was missing but got no reply. Also, the Taurus website has a feature where you type in your serial number and up pops all the gun's info. Mine instructs to call customer service but I have not done so.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judging from years of sillouhete shooting records, Dan Wesson may well be the most accurate revolver made. I have one in 44 mag and find it to handle recoil better that any of the Colt, S&W, or Rugers I've owned, and it is the single most accurate big bore revolver I've ever shot. 44 mag can be loaded for anything from small game to big bears.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a dedicated hunting revolver I think the choices start at the .41. I've killed a couple whitetails with my 4" .357 Python using 180 gr. hard cast bullets but don't consider it an ideal hunting handgun. Great carry gun though.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you already know this, but be sure to check your state regs....many states have a minimum caliber and barrel length for handgun hunting. In NC barrel length must be at least 5.5 inches and .22lr or higher for small game and .357 (centerfire) or .24 (bottleneck) caliber ammo or higher.

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .41 Mag is the correct answer. I've hunted with one on deer-sized animals for 41 years. I wouldn't go lighter, but I doubt I'll go heavier either. It fills my needs.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maximum Distance

i bet its less than 700 yards. if you can stalk mule deer for handgun hunting, you could ahve stalked the one that you poached.

enjoy him on your wall.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me handgun hunting means the 44 Magnum. That is if one does not count the Encore and guns such as that.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good post Tasunkawitko!!!! Maybe a handgun is a little better at keeping steady out a truck window??

roflmao

MG