New
Find
Notify
Tools

i have the fever for a 7mm stw....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
the local gun shop is letting a sendero stainless and fluted remington go for 650 $ chambered in 7 stw. what kind of "real" velocity could one expect with bullet weights ranging from 140s to 160s?? i have heard that this particular caliber can benefit greatly from reloading. anyone have some good things or bad things to say about this caliber? i plan on using it for late season cow elk and open country mulies. thanks in advance... mark

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 7mmstw's and use them for all of my deer,pronghorn and sheep hunting.I use 140gr ballistic tips and have had great results on all of these animals.I have also taken bear,moose and several elk with 140gr partitions.My actual muzzle velocities with 140gr handloads run 3450fps for one rifle and 3530fps for the other rifle.I have never used factory loads myself but I have chronographed 140gr factory loads for other people that averaged around 3300fps.If I was not going to reload I would not bother with the cartridge at all due to the extremely mild factory loads.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<STW>
posted
I have the same gun you are looking at and i get 3450fps with 140 ballistic tips and 3350 with 150's.Get the gun you'll love it mine shoots 1/2 5 shot a 100 yards and 1 1/4" at 300yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought a severe fever causing delirium was what causes the desire for the 7STW. [Big Grin]

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh my God! It's SARS! - LOL - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually fever causing delirium would give one the urge to have a .277" bore cartridge.You are seeing and thinking quite clearly if you desire one of the 7mm's.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper,

just curious, why don't you like the .277 bore? They are so close why does it matter? just curious thanks.

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just one question...how heavy is it?

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boman-I don't hate the .277" bore but rather have no use for it.My reason for having no use for the .277" bore is that it is so close to the 7mm's ,and the slightly larger bullet diameter and slightly heavier bullet weights do give the advantage to the 7mm's.Since I see the 7mm as the superior caliber I choose it over the .277"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to agree with the 7mm. I really do love the 7mm.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy on here named Elim, is selling a custom 7 STW, and I'm sure he would make you a great deal...It's all custom, almost new...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Savage 116 SS in 7STW and absolutely love it. I run handloads through it as any factory loads I used wouldn't give me the accuracy I wanted. I shoot 139 gr. Hornady SST's through it and get about 3300 fps. I could go hotter, but I have only hunted whitetails with it, and that is good enough. That Sendero is a steal at that price, too.

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Y'all need a good cigar and a bit of sour mash. On second thought, have a lot of mash then buy a 7X57. [Wink]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote