THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: at what altitude does air get "thin"...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: at what altitude does air get "thin"...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just came back from a goat hunt, but i was only at 12000 ft, for a short perioid of time, BUT i always try to stay in shape by freehand exercising, and biking around town a lot. I had a bad cold with respiratory involvement that hit me hard, but i maintained hydration with the best little piece of backpacking equipment that has ever been invented-- the sip tube. It provides constant, easy access to water whenever u need it-- none of this taking the pack off to drink, which tends to make a person lackadaisical about hydration. It also helped that i'd been biking all summer. U know that's the best part of hunting-- it forces u to stay young---- sort of.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At 18,000 feet half the earth's atmosphere is below you. At somewhere around 5,000 ft. it's closer to 75%

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank-you all for the excellent advice and good luck wishes. I am a big advocate for hydration everyday, regardless of activity. I will be hunting with my father, so we'll use a slower pace. He doesn't like to make work out of his hunting...

Thanks again!

Japser243

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend from Texas said it best when I hunted him for elk here at 8000 feet elevation in Idaho. "I knew the oxygen molecules would be small up here, but I didn't know they'd be so damn far apart!"

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just returned from a mule deer hunt near Afton, WY. Elevation of the base camp was about 6000 ft., and we did most of our hunting above 8,000. I used to notice the elevation more than I do now. The only symptom I get anymore is a slight shortness of breath, and above 9000 ft., a slight headache. I am only 62 years old, but try to keep myself in some sort of shape, and didn't mind this trip at all. The best bucks are found at the mountaintop parks at this time of the year. You gotta go there.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be doing some mule deer hunting in Wyoming this fall, and am in the process of getting in shape. I was just curious as to what altitude does a person usually notice the air getting thin? I'm sure this varies person to person, but I've never spent much time in the high regions. I live at around 850 feet above sea level. When I was in Montrose Colorado a few years ago (5800 feet), I sure noticed then!

We'll probably be around 4000 feet on our hunt....

Thanks

Jasper_243

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
When growing up in California at sea level, and hunting the coastal ranges up to about 4500', didn't really feel it. Have since moved to Colorado where my house sits at 6800 feet. Took me six long months to get used to that! But now when I hunt up to 9000-10,000, it's a piece of cake...

Hank

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I notice anything over about 3,000 feet difference. If it's more than 4,000, I notice it a lot!

It reminds me of a friend from Dallas I took elk hunting a couple of years back. Despite nearly weekly reminders to get in shape, he wasn't. From basecamp at 8,000 foot, he walked 150 yards (about 100 feet up or so), and gave up. Could not move.

His hunting partner was a semi-pro ball player, and he could keep up with me just about all the time. The two of us covered some country for sure, but my friend did nothing but sit under a tree, hoping we would chase something past him. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big thing is to take it easy for a couple of days so you get aclimated. Probably the biggest danger in living in the low country and hunting in the high is trying to do to much to soon. No matter what kind of shape your in altitude sickness is a killer. 4000 feet shouldn't be that bad though

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big thing is to take it easy for a couple of days so you get aclimated. Probably the biggest danger in living in the low country and hunting in the high is trying to do to much to soon. No matter what kind of shape your in altitude sickness is a killer. 4000 feet shouldn't be that bad though.>John

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live at 700' but notice the decreased air at about 10,000'. I am in reasonable condition for a 50 yeear old. I get whacked at 13,000' and higher, so I don't go there anymore.

Posts: 10268 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself, I generally notice it once it gets above about 8500 or so.
I live in Ohio about 650 and out west and in Africa I have hunted some upper alttitudes and find myself puffing like a steam engine when I get around 10,000 regardless of the shape I am in

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The altitude at which air becomes thin depends on things such as age, hydration state, body composition (fit is better than fat), altitude and rate of ascent. There is some theory that those born at altitude will keep their ability to function at altitude or at worst acclimate themselves much quicker.

If you are concerned about altitude sickness you might consider a visit to your doctor (a prescription for diamox is an option to help avoid altitude sickness), stay hydrated...I think a couple of other folks mentioned this, get yourself in shape (doesn't take much here...maybe 30-45 minutes per session and 3-4 sessions per week @ your target heart rate), take a couple of days to get used to the altitude, etc. Avoid strenuous exercise...chopping wood, etc., until you have been at altitude for a couple of days.

Go here for some good info on acute mountain sickness.

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/AMS.html

Posts: 27 | Location: North to Alaska, maybe Nevada. | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crazy told it all: Don't try to do too much too soon!!!!!
Get into shape and take it easy for a couple of days. Hey, they'd got smokers and drinkers in Wyoming. They're just use to it. Couple of days and you're right up there with them.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I hunt in OR I don't notice it until I get to 6000ft. No trouble below that so that I notice.

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting partner and I met a falconer in Wyoming once, said he goes every year for a month of sage-grouse hunting with the birds and dogs. He spends about two weeks getting himself, the birds, and the dogs used to the difference between Philadelphia area elevation and 7000 feet, where they hunt.

I noticed last year that my truck got about 20% better fuel mileage after I passed Cedar City going north, which I attribute to decreased air resistance at about 4000 feet.

Posts: 14435 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
4000 probably will not be bad but when you hit 10,000 or above, you can definitely tell the difference.

The highest I've hunted was around 11,000 and it wasn't too bad but, the guy hunting w/ me had a tough time breathing. We rode in by horse and did not move much after finding a good spot. If we had done alot of stalking it might have been a different story.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are in decent shape I doubt you will feel any difference at 4000 feet. I've never noticed much below 6000 feet. Above 9-10,000 definately. The best advice has already been posted. Go somewhat easy the first day or two. Also a big key is stay hydrated. Can't emphasis that enough.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can start to feel a differance between 5000-6000ft. Nothing that has been a problem for me but, it was noticable.
If you are in good shape I think you will be fine at 4000.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good post about staying hydrated Skibum. Most people who come from lower lying more humid parts of the country do not realize how much they are sweating and losing moisture. Not sure but I think its because of the thinner air the moisture evaporates much more quickly from the skin. Very easy to get dehydrated and not even know it. When I am up high I always mix some Gatorade powder with my water. Usually about 1/2 strength. Just to keep from losing to many electrolytes.<John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's because the humidity is generally much lower in most of the West combined with the increased loss of moisture through respiration when you are breathing heavy. In any event they key to hydration is you should be drinking enough fluids that your urine is clear to light yellow. If it is dark you are not drinking enough. The Gatorade is a good idea. One thing that goes along with the posts about taking it easy that I think a lot of hunters forget is they are on vacation not a death march. Listen to your body. Take breaks and enjoy the scenery. Hunt at your pace. I've found that physical exhaustion leads to mental exhaustion and not being alert is the surest way to blow a good opportunity when it arises.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote