THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    More pictures added Colorado third season Bucks and Antelope

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More pictures added Colorado third season Bucks and Antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Scroll to the bottom for the added pictures

Thursday morning I shot this Buck. With the help of my brother and "Graybird" we got it out in several trips on packs. I shot it quite a ways down a canyon from the road.
The Buck kept giving me the slip from the first time I spotted him but I kept trying to outwit him and he finally gave me a poor shot opportunity thru 200 yards of deadfall/burn. Shot him thru the small window while he was walking over the next rise. .257 Roberts, Sierra 117 grain SPBT, 41.5 grains of IMR-4350, struck him in the shoulder and exited in his neck. Dropped so fast I thought I may have missed him.
My brother got a Buck that morning too and Graybird got one Friday morning. He will post his pictures in another thread of his nice buck. I posted my sons Buck in an earlier thread that he killed monday. All required packframes and mileage to get them back to the road. All in all we did good for public land hunting, hope you like the pictures.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Beautiful buck. Thanks for sharing.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,

Great buck and with plenty of character!!! That guy has super nice fronts. I look forward to doing it again!!!

Also, good luck on the elk hunt next week!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Congrats Snellstrom. Great buck!

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beauty. Congrats.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
nice buck, sounds like a fun hunt!

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey man, that area looks awfully familiar??? Congrats on a nice buck, glad you got to enjoy it with your friends & family.

I will be heading to eastern Colorado again next week, are you gonna be anywhere in the neighborhood??

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Aaron
Thanks for the comments, that area is no secret! The place was crawling with road hunters but with a little work by getting away from the road some decent bucks can be found. I'll be in unit 44 next week, not hunting big bucks but chasing Elk on an either sex tag. The either sex was not my first choice in the draw but it gets me out in the field for another week and a chance at a Bull.
We do need to catch up with each other its just busy for me during the season.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
super buck

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, 44 is my FAVORITE place in the world to hunt big bucks!! Have only had one 4th season tag myself a few years ago, but have been there several times in the past couple years with friends. I have seen a few 200" plus bucks hit the ground on that hunt. Good luck and get in touch when things slow down a bit.

Aaron

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice One!
And two more ,that is a lot of packing.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Awesome deer!!!! Congratulations!

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Nice buck !!
You done good !
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Awesome buck!

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Very nice buck. Congrats man. Good of you to let your son punch his tag first. beer

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thought I would add my brothers Buck to this post, just got his pictures yesterday. He used a 270 WSM and 110 grain TTSX factory Federals, shot was just over 200 yards and was a drop right there at the shot. I helped him with a real nice uphill pack with packframes back to the road. Not his biggest buck as far as horns go but the body was enormous. I really enjoyed this hunt with my son, my brother and a couple real good friends that I met right here on AR. I'm pretty picky about the friends I keep and "Graybird" and "Taylorce" are really great people, says a lot for this forum when you can meet people off the internet and become good friends. I hope to hunt with the same group next year. I thought it was a great experience for my son to share a hunting camp with more than just me for a change.

I'm going to add his Wyoming Antelope buck here as well. We had a very successful Antelope hunt here in Colorado where my son, brother and I all filled our doe tags opening day, then my brother and I filled our buck tags later in the week with real nice ones, then my brother headed to Wyo for the buck in the pictures below. He may correct me but the shot was just under 200 yards and he used his 270 WSM and 110 grain Barnes TTSX.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,

Hey thanks for adding the extra pictures. I never got to see the pics of the WY antelope, makes me not want to post pics of my Oklahoma antelope I shot back in September. Looks like that guy had very nice cutters and very nice hook on his points. Tell your brother congrats again when you talk to him!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey you guys are having a bang up season.
that wyo speedgoat is beautiful.
finally got out of the e. plains mud and came home for a few days....
i'll get busy and post some that hit the ground
this last month.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder why animals find those burned areas so attractive?

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Those are trophies to be proud of, Snellstrom! The antelope has some attractive curves to the tips that I like a lot.

Nothing like hunting the first fall after a fresh burn, huh? It's great hunting that first year although there doesn't seem to be a damn thing they should be interested in.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote