THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    A Pair of public land (Texas!) bucks from '07

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Pair of public land (Texas!) bucks from '07
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted
OK, here's a little primer for those still waiting on the season to open (I have 2 more months to wait... Frowner)

This photo is from last season and was taken after a successful Texas Parks & Wildlife hunt. The 2 bucks were taken at the Chaparral Wildlife Management Area and were the reward of a $3 application fee.

Hunting is by compartment, and no baiting is allowed. The 2 hunters were a part of a group of 4 from Yoakum, TX who applied for the hunt. (You can apply with up to 4 names per card.)

The buck on the left grossed 149 6/8ths and netted 144 7/8th while the buck on the right grossed 140 and netted 134.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shows that there are some nice "public land" bucks in Texas. Where did you put in for this year?

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
On the gun deer/either sex, I put in for San Angelo -- same as last year. I was fortunate enough to take the buck pictured below there last December. For the management hunt category, I put in for either Choke Canyon or James Daughtrey (my mind must be on vacation again as I can't remember for certain Big Grin)

For mule deer, I tried Black Gap. I wasn't drawn for either public or private land pronghorn -- and I must have a ton of preference points for the Rita Blanca hunt as I have been applying forever it seems.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

lookin' good. Can't hardly wait myself. I'm suffering terribly from SDD (shooting deficit disorder).
Going to my lease this weekend may shoot some hogs and call some varmints and get a little relief
Keep those pix comin'
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Did they do a draw for the Chapp this year after the fire they had? I know they said things were okay just after but I never heard any follow up.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I was a little surprised, but the hunt at the Chapp is on, and the number of permits to be issued is similar to last year. I guess the deer were able to move out as the fire approached.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GWB-

Must be an epidemic. I am suffering from that same disorder, and with the heat, the hogs have gone nocturnal on me.

To help with the illness, I have been thinning out the endless parade of 'possums and 'dillos around the house... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I feeeeeeeel yo' pain.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
GWB-

Good luck on the varmint/hog excursion this weekend. I hope to see some pictures posted!

Of course, after your recent outing with the .17 Fireball, I heard the rest of the gray fox population voted to either pursue punitive damages and/or leave the county... Big Grin

Enter exhibit A in gray fox v. GWB:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I'm gonna give Concan and the foxes a rest
this weekend and go to our lease north of vanderpool. We're filling feeders etc. Hopefully we'll get a chance to bust some hogs and so some callin'.
Any how I'll listen to some marty robbins, have a couple of shiner blacks a couple of shots of patron, eat like a king and generally get flat out like a lizard drinkin'. So I'll probably not have as much varmint luck. If I do any good I'll post pix.
GWB

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I was a little surprised, but the hunt at the Chapp is on, and the number of permits to be issued is similar to last year. I guess the deer were able to move out as the fire approached.

Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice-looking bucks, bobby ~ beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote